Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which bass

bud250

I play electric guitar, mostly fast detuned metal type stuff, and I want to start playing bass too. From borrowing other basses I have a general idea of what I'm looking for. The Fender precision I tried sounded nice clean, but was hard to play fast with that big fat neck and general chunky feel. The Ibanez sr200 was much easier to play fast and felt quite nice overall. The sound didn't impress me too much but it was thru a dodgy peavy amp. The ibanez 5 string I tried was not to my liking. I couldn't get comfortable with the wide neck and the sound was quite disappointing. Also tried a couple of cheaper Yamahas and didn't particularly like any of them.

I liked the feel of the cheap ibanez most, so something that has that kind of feel with a better sound would be the kind of thing. I'm not sure about price range. Probably under US$600, but possibly up to $1000 if it's worthwhile. Any help?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn straight. bc rich beast, perfect for metal. has a nice sound, great tone, active circuit, you can manipulate the sound to the shithouse. and nothing looks more metal! i love it!!!

http://www.fleshwound.live.com.au/simbass2.jpg

sorry, i just love this pic... *sigh*

- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Well.....go with a Fender Jazz Bass. It's built like a tank, and it doesn't have the fat Precision neck.

The neck is nice and slim, and the overall feeling and tone are 10's.

Try doing a search. It always helps, has a lot of useful information to newbies like you.

I second Cowbell on that. The "Ibanez feel" that you like so much probably has to do with the thinner neck common to Ibanez' basses, and the Fender Jazz does offer a wider variety of tones over the usual tones from the lower model Ibanez's.

I also agree with Cowbell that you should try a search on this. There's quite a bit of info on this available there, it's a common topic.

Either way, welcome to the lowdown.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Dean Razor NT feels and sounds GREAT for around $650 or so. Really growly - midrange tone that overdrives very well. Also, they look gorgeous!

Also the Brian Moore i4 and i5 models. REALLY nice basses. Great tone, incredible versatility and good looks. Also, they are very, very comfortable. The body hugs you like a well made jacket...

If you like Ibanez look into the SRX and BTB series. The BTB510 has perfect tone... Mohagany body with Bartolini pickups and preamp. VERY nice bass if you like Ibanez. The SRX are really raw and agressive sounding. A friend of mine (mentor)has an SRX500 and it has really good tone for hard rock. Cuts through very well without sounding too harsh or thin.

Originally posted by Mike Findley:

she x,

what color is that exactly? cant quite tell

brown with black stripes?

some kinda blue or brown?

:P

it's just black. the light's shining on it making it look a lot more colourful than it is, that's all... not transparent or translucent, just a solid opaque black. like the one on my avatar... and why do you put a space inbetween "she" and "x"... it's all one word... sheX... lol [my sur name is scheck... it kinda came from that]
- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Archived