Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage P-Basses

Barks

Still thinking of getting hold of an old P bass from somewhere. (I am in the UK.) Can anyone help with ideas on where to look and how much I should be paying these days?
'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yepper on the ebay thing. There are tons of them, you can get a nice mid/late seventies bass between $600 (cheap) and $1200USD (real nice). The only downside is that you can't play it first (unless it is in your area). Another place to try is a guitar show. If your near London, I would imagine that they would have at least one show per year.

Also, search the web for "vintage guitar" and "vintage bass" shops. You'll probably turn up some shops that carry some vintage basses, including P basses. You can also refine the search to the U.K. and it might give you some closer to where you are.

A couple of places that carry vintage stuff and list on-line are:

New York Guitar & Bass Boutique (Jimmy has a '65 P-bass in stock right now!)

New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center (currently listing a '78 P bass and a '79 P bass)

I'm sure there are others.

Happy hunting!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Barks I don't know where you are in the U.K but I've seen a good amount of "vintage" (well I've never enquired about the actual year, but the wear and tear look about them suggests sometime just after the jurassic) here in Belfast, and that's just in 3 local shops.

Price wise, as you may know. Our buddies in the good ole U S of A pay pittance for their instruments compared to us. I recently bought a brand new Ric 4003 for just under £1000, apparently from what I've read here and the Ric forum, these cost about $900 new over there.

I think the old P's I seen locally were between £550 and £800. Be prepared to shell out.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I see old 70's P basses a plenty. Often in the $600-900 U.S. dollar range. Honestly, they're "a dime a dozen" and easily found here in the states. There's a magazine called "Vintage Guitar Magazine" that I've seen loads of them in. I think it's www.vintageguitar.com Other than that, the classifieds www.bassgear.com or Ebay.

Adz how much are those basses going for in Camden.

.....Ummm, Camden is a very bad place....I was sold a black jack (liquorice chewwy sweet) and a handful of dandelions on two seperate occassions for extortionate prices. Thing was I couldn't report my loss to the police.....That sort of business doesn't have an ombudsman !! :cry:;)

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Archived