Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

idea: making your own books-on-tape

More accurately, books-on-MP3, but anyhow: So I'm thinking...say you had a buncha ASCII text-like all the public domain books on Project Gutenberg. And a text-to-speech app that renders to disk. Such as the MBROLA Project: http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html And an iPod or one of those CD players that handles MP3 CDs or something. Chop the text down to chapters, render to AIFF, convert to MP3s, and BAM- you're getting 'reading' done at work, for free. Anybody done this? Good idea or half-baked? I'd like to be doing it under Mac OS X if possible, but whatever. Also: is there a way to render the Mac native speech synthesis to disk? I could just record it, but that'd be real-time and that's no good. Victoria High-Quality is hot. Uh.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I download books from Project Guttenburg and have my computer read me to sleep at night. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get a voice that was understandable and didn't make me grit my teeth. Interesting thought - but I think you'd want to use real (even amatuer) voice talent if you wanted it to be anything other than a novelty. Scott

Archived