Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever been banned from a forum?

I hear that Pro Tools likes to kick people off of their forum for seemingly mild comments. Is that true? Have you ever been asked to leave (or cool it for a while) on a forum? Sometimes I see people disappear for a while and then pop up again. Should I keep a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card handy for just such emergencies? :D :D :D :D :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I've been banned. I was on the Syntrillium forum for a while, and usually when I'd post, it was because I was really p.o.ed at Cool Edit Pro. So, I probably was less than gentlemanly there a time or two. But, I don't think they kicked me off.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yeah, I once made the big mistake of getting on a band's fan forum and making a few less than favorable remarks about the band's frontman (even though I am a fan of the band)... I wasn't intentionally trolling at all, and my remarks weren't even that scathing, but you know how unhinged a lot of fanatics can be about "their" band... pretty soon I was getting all kinds of bile and hatred directed at me, including from the "webmistress", who was pretty unhinged herself, and she finally banned me. Not that I was disappointed by that time as I had no desire to go back there. Oh well, I did make a few friends there who are still my friends. Just about any time I've seen a fan oriented site for a major artist it seems to have been taken over by psychos. Kind of sad. Roger McGuinn used to participate in a Byrds fan forum and newgroup but had to stop because inevitably a psycho got on there and started harrassing him, making up rumors, etc. Kind of pathetic how a few whackos can ruin a good thing for everybody. --Lee

Yeah, I got on a John Fogerty mailing list once. I'm a die hard Fogerty fan...but this was so frickin' restrictive...and the topics were mostly stupid, too, like "What's John Fogerty's dog's name" and crap. If it didn't have "Fogerty" in it anywhere, you'd get a warning...even if it was related. And GOD HELP ANYONE who even mentioned Stu Cook or Doug Clifford. This wasn't Fogerty's doing, he didn't have anything really to do with the mailing list, just list-gestapo types.

No, just flamed or ignored! I got brutally flamed once on the Martin Scorsese newsgroup. There was a thread entitled, "Best Scorsese film ever". I wrote, "Hopefully one he hasn't made yet!". Someone utterly pounced on me for that, calling me all sorts of four-letter words. Had to shrug my shoulders at that one. He then later flamed me on another music newsgroup a month later. Guess he didn't like me. On rec.audio.pro a few years ago, we were discussing ADATs. I wrote that I didn't care for their sound, and that while when I had received nine projects for mastering in the past year, I was able to successfully pick out the six that were recorded on ADATs. I then ended my post by saying, "I don't claim to have a magic ear, nor do I claim to be able to ever do this again. However, so far I've been 100%." Nevertheless, this guy called me all sorts of four-letter words, saying that I was full of shit and lying and that there was no way I could do this, etc. etc. (even though i had already done it). What's strange is that most of the time that people have flamed me really badly, it's been for innocuous statements such as the two above. Weird!!!

KEN, YOU'RE AN ABSOLUTE F(*&#ING IDIOT!!! :D :D :D Just kidding, of course! :D :D Yeah, there are a lot of folks whose only purpose on forums is to flame away. Sigh...

I was briefly a member of a Garth Brooks board. When his live CD came out I commented that I wasn't particularly happy with the mix - being predominately Garth and audience I was disappointed that the band weren't really featured all that much. You'd think I dropped an A-bomb in their shorts! I left the board soon after, never to return. Apparently anything other than blind love is frowned upon there. If I wanna hear screaming people I'll fart in an elevator. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]If I wanna hear screaming people I'll fart in an elevator.[/b][/quote]Please bring a portable recorder along so that we can all share in the fun. ------------ It's not the smell, it's the burning of my eyes! :cry:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Hey, maybe I've been kicked off the TapeOp Message Board and don't know it. I've never been able to properly register and get on that thing!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Tedwewuster-shire Sauce: [b]KEN, YOU'RE AN ABSOLUTE F(*&#ING IDIOT!!! :D :D :DSigh...[/b][/quote] WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]I was briefly a member of a Garth Brooks board. When his live CD came out I commented that I wasn't particularly happy with the mix - being predominately Garth and audience I was disappointed that the band weren't really featured all that much. You'd think I dropped an A-bomb in their shorts! I left the board soon after, never to return. Apparently anything other than blind love is frowned upon there. -- Rob[/b][/quote]Where is it, i'd like to go there and raise some shit. i hate Garth and his bullshit mr nice guy front. What a phony loser.(He is talented, but i still think he is a loser)

Sorry Wewjams, I don't have a clue where it is. It's been 4 years since the CD came out and I deleted the bookmark. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I....I can't! That's too good!!! I really enjoyed the SSS when it was on AOL, and we lost a lot of really great people in the shuffle. We picked up a bunch of good people, too, on this web site, but that was a really fun forum.

Jackpine, how did you get a ban from the army for strolling into SoA? Ft Benning is an open post and the SoA is right on main post (of course I haven't been there since '87). They use to march right by my barracks while on their way to class. What has changed?

Archived