Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

After the gig......

JDL

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I go home.

My rock band is far from home, so sometimes I go sleep in the rhythm guitarist's spare room, and drive home the next day.

My Christian theatre troup usually plays on Fridays, and everybody goes out to a diner. I go about 1/4 of the time. I also arranged for us to go out to a fancy pizza place (no it's not a contradiction in terms) one night instead of the diner.

My wife is usually asleep, so nothing happens there. I have family cars, so there's no racing. And I'm straight, so there's no drinking (but since I drink tea for my throat there is some peeing....).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

After standing for over 4hrs, humping my huge gear, and always having plenty of other crap to worry about the next day, there is only one place I want to be after a gig :bor: . I have my little ritual of going home, dropping the gear just inside the door, counting/stashing the cash, then its lights out. Yeah, I'm a real party animal :rolleyes:

Go home most of the time.Usually if it's far away I try to get a Coffee and make a run for it.Sometimes there is a little get togethor at the local diner or maybe if I met or brought a date we'll go home or out to eat.
Interesting to know that 12 notes, 12 keys and 3 basic chord types made so much music.

Well, after sticking around to check out the other bands and collect the loot and help the other bands with their gear, I usually go to a Denny's or a Waffle House or some other Heartburn Shack and unwind and then go home and crash. Most of the time I just park in the garage and unload in the morning. The other night I went to a friend's house and watched "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." Not a real rockstar activity, but fun nonetheless.

Originally posted by JDL:

Hoagie, that would be a cool environment after a gig. Do you leave right after the gig is over?

JDL-@home

For the most part. We'll take about 15 and chill/b.s. with friends & patrons, go to the bar get water/pop/alc. and then start carrying gear to our respective vehicles. Majority to my pickup. Then to the music store and unload equipment and to a final resting place in a nice truckstop booth. Occasionally if my wife's still up, she'll meet us as will the other significant others if at the gig.

Originally posted by Rob E.Bass:

Go home most of the time.Usually if it's far away I try to get a Coffee and make a run for it.Sometimes there is a little get togethor at the local diner or maybe if I met or brought a date we'll go home or out to eat.

I know when we used to play out of town in my old band, we'd hit the Amoco on the way to the interstate on-ramp and pick up Gatorade/Pop and a box of those $.25 oatmeal cream pies for the road home. :freak: 1 1/2 hours away.

I get as drunk as possible and pee my pants - only if I'm not driving and the drinks are on the house

I go backstage with my band and reflect - some gigs we get togethor and discuss things we should do like rehearse despite never doing.

I go drag race 'cause I'm so pumped up - some towns you just can't wait to fly out of good gig or bad gig.

I go to my girlfriend and make out all night - only in private.Certainly not one to exploit my love affairs.

Interesting to know that 12 notes, 12 keys and 3 basic chord types made so much music.

Really, I like to get my gear sorta packed up and hang out with the fans. Nothing's as cool as a room full of people you've never seen who know your name. There's always some business to attend to- booking other shows, selling mdse., signing autographs. I make it a point never to talk business with the band ("next time we need to...") at a show- that always serves as a buzz-kill.

Talking with the fans is always important. It makes the fans feel important and makes it more likely that they will come back or buy CDs.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by matt C:

Really, I like to get my gear sorta packed up and hang out with the fans. Nothing's as cool as a room full of people you've never seen who know your name. There's always some business to attend to- booking other shows, selling mdse., signing autographs. I make it a point never to talk business with the band ("next time we need to...") at a show- that always serves as a buzz-kill.

Talking with the fans is always important. It makes the fans feel important and makes it more likely that they will come back or buy CDs.

Amen to that, brother Matt! The first time I was asked for my autograph, I was dumbfounded. I asked the kid if he was sure he wanted my autograph and not the singers. He told me he wanted mine, so I obliged him. Of course, he's probably looking at it right now wondering what the hell it is and why he has it.

There are no answers in the poll for us old guys. Put this in so I can vote:

• Drive home listening to talk radio and go to sleep 20 seconds after walking in the door.

Yes, there were days when the whole band went out to eat. :cool:

Yes, there were days when we hung out with groupies until dawn. ;)

When you are gigging six nights a week the party lifestyle starts to wear you down. :bor: I see my wife at lunch the next day, it's about the only time we are both home at the same time and both of us are awake.

LOL....Jeremy, your routine sounds about like mine anymore. Yeah, the early days were the same as yours. Funny thing about the groupies....back then there wasn't such a worry of 'transmitable nasties'. God, life was good then :thu:

Now, sometimes it's a hearty breakfast at zero dark a.m., but mainly heading home for some snoozin'.

Damn it, beavis, I'm getting too old for this!

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Eats after the show...

Well, I've gotta watch it at my age (mid 40s) because that chow that you consume after the gig goes straight to the waistline. I've always loved going out after the occasional gig to find a great omelette. Here in our neck of the woods, it's the KTP (Kearney Truck Plaza). Various places before. Denny's has been amusing. I've seen more fights in Denny's than I have in the bars :D . One, I was so tired I slept through it. A couple of very drunken rednecks at the next table were "discussing" putting a water pump in an F-150. I couldn't keep my eyes open, put my head down on my arms while waiting for my food. When I looked up, the rednecks were gone, and my band buddies were laughing because they'd gotten thrown out for fighting over the water pump bit.

One of my favorite "after the gig" places was an old gas station someone had turned into a bakery. Right on our way home after one gig, the guy would be taking hot cinnamon rolls out of the oven about the time we were going by. These weren't any cinnamon rolls, they were phenomenal...and we'd have to go in and buy a bag of 'em. That place has now faded into a distant memory...but wow, what I'd give for one of those rolls...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I like to catch the other acts playing, and relax over an ice-water. However, since that really wasn't on the poll, I voted to do what I usually do afterwords, which is to make out with a girl, since that's what ends up happening after my gigs more often than not.

Zack has the right idea. One thing I hate at multi-billed shows is to have the other bands and their fans leave right after the show was done. I always tell my fans to come early and stick around late, and I'll always stay to set the example.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Home, home on the range. I go home. I yak a lot whilst I pack my gear. I'm always the slowest to pack up. I used to drop by this donut shop on the way home. Fresh, warm, melt in your mouth donuts. But many lbs later I decided that wasn't doing myself or my marriage any good.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by jeremyc:There are no answers in the poll for us old guys. Put this in so I can vote:

[*]Drive home listening to talk radio and go to sleep 20 seconds after walking in the door.

Hey I'm a young guy and that sounds like my routine. Is that good? I would just like to add (and I'm not proud of this) a stop at Jack-In-The-Box or Del Taco.
I have no homepage.

Archived