Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good times

dohhhhh6

well right now i play guitar (about 2 1/2 months) and i needa get a bass this Christmas lucky for me Guitar Center is having a sale this week and sadly Mars Music is going out of business. But i still really don't know what i should get (shopping this weekend)so i need some major help. Like what brands are good. Jazz or P-bass? What amp (Marshall for me probably)? and that stuff thx in advance. Also im thinking right now of either fender, Ibanez or Epiphone.
In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Da Lady in the Pink Dress, whats up. Oh, what basses are good, well if it were me , I'd go with Fender, if you're looking for a starter bass. But, what stlyes will whoever will be playing play? If a starter bass is neede, then I'd go with a Fender Squire, or if you have alitlle more money, go with a Warwick Rock bass, YEAH!! But you might have to go to another store for the Warwick Rock bass, but....

Hope you make the right desicion, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions, this is just mine

JDL-welcome

Grrrl bassists usually have smaller hands and so neck thickness might be an important consideration. If that's the case I'd suggest the Jazz over the P bass, but even thinner still are Ibanez Soundgear and the Dean Edge series. Any of those would make nice starter basses. Marshall bass amps? Don't do it. Marshall isn't famous for their bass amps and 10 minutes alone with one should tell you why. Popular brands among bassists in the "reasonable" price range are names like Ampeg, Ashdown, Gallien Krueger, SWR, Eden(nemisis series), Peavey (yes, Peavey) and Trace Elliot (if you can find one).

Mmmmmmmm, basses. I've got a nice little Washburn 5er that's got a pretty small neck. My little P-copy has a pretty small neck, but maybe that's just me.

For amps, I like my SWR LA-12, but I could've done better...but for the money, it's a great little amp, and loud too.

I'd either go for a Fender (screw Squier), or a little bit higher end Ibanez. I wish I'd known better when I started, but ya know...

Get a good strap and a good cable, too.

Good luck, man, er woman.

your advice so far has been very helpful. But heres some info to further help me if you can. I'm a guy with big hands (Hendrix made EX)and i'll be playing like alice in chians, jimi hendrix, and most likely Red Hot Chili Peppers (eventually) thank you for your help so far
In Skynyrd We Trust

Tis all good, my friend. You can play whatever you want. I know I sure do. I'll be jammin' along to some Widespread, then some Van Morrison, then some Staind, all with the turn of a (couple) knob(s).

Anywho, if you can afford it, go for a nice 5 stringer, as most of what you listed uses that or greater. I know most of what I listen to does, so getting one helps me a bit. Also, you're going to want one later anyway, so go on and learn it first anyway. Then get you a nice 4 string fretless or something.

What kinda playing are you gonna do? How much do you know about bass? And more importantly, how much money you got?

Oh well, I'll just say go with a Standard Precision Bass. Squier isn't worth it. It's what I play, and when properly set-up its amazing. Prolly the best thing in price range.

Don't really have any recommendations on a practice amp. Maybe a Dano or a Carvin?

Also, if your kinda new to bass, don't even bother with anything above 5 strings. Hah,thats so crazy.

:D:thu:

Just play as many as possible and find what you like. G.C. usually has a lot of different basses, so you should be able to find several in your price range. As you can see, there are several different opinions floating about. Names aren't everything. If they were, we'd all be playing Fenders and no one would have ever picked up a Modulus or a Peavey or a Carvin or a Zon or an Alembic or....you get the picture. Play them all and you will learn what you like.

Archived