Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown ABM Preamp Bumcity Plz Read

KikkyMonk

Got it in the mail today.. I'm drooling over it, but seeing how I don't have both a power amp and a cab I'll have to wait for band practice to use it direct into the PA and even then it won't be anything compared to it with an amp and cab. (run on I know)

Bump - I know you have one too... in the instructions it says that it has a stereo line input on the back with an input control. The amp only has one jack (I guess a stereo 1/4 inch?) and no input control... Whats with that? The back panel picture is for an ABM head.. which has 2 plugs (right and left im guessing) and prolly has an input on the front? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It really doesn't matter though as that function is going to be used mainly for practicing with CDs and such so it isn't terribly important.

Also the s/n is better than 80db... to my understanding that really sucks... am I wrong? (I hope so) The THD isn't really good either at .5% but seeing how it has a knob marked grind I don't mind as much.

I really jazzed on the 3 footswitches!! Finally I'll have footswitches all my own!

All in all I'm stoked! (I agree on having a blinking light fetish) It seems this preamp is made for live use with the footswitch options.

On to a power amp and a cab!!

Dave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhh... stereo? I'm just a caveman. :D

I havne't explored this option, so I'm not sure about it. I use it very mono. I send the 1/4" full range output on the back to my Mackie 1400i to the 'mono' input which sends the same signal to both sides of the amp. As far as setting up the EQ and all that, I actually run everything almost flat. I turn on the EQ section, which seems to give a signal boost anyways (even when it's flat) and at the most I'll boost the lows a bit and sometimes the highs when the room is really dead. Depending on what type of music I'm playing, I'll either crank the "grind" knob all the way up or I'll have it at about 50% to give a bit of the tube crunch that it provides.

When recording, I mic one of my cabs and also send a direct signal out of the XLR on the back of the preamp. The recordings that I did last weekend (which can be heard on that other thread) are a mix of the direct out and the mic'd cab; the 'grind' knob was set at about 70%.

I love this preamp, it's by far the most wonderful tone that I've ever managed to get out of a rig; and I've had a lot of different setups (Eden WT800 w/ Ampeg 2x15 cab, Ampeg Classic SVT w/ Ampeg 2x5 cab, a peavey setup that the head I don't recall the name of and I had a Peavey 4x10 and a Peavey 1x15, and the last setup before this was an SWR SM-900 with Bag End 15's.. which are the same speaker cabs I'm using now).

You'll love it. It's a way of life.

-Brian

Well I'm back from practice and I must say that Im pleased but am still withholding a judgement because as of now I'm playing out of mackie power speakers (15 inch 300 watts, 6 inch 100 watts, tweeter 100 watts) and I really don't like them in the bass department. The woofers response cut out on low F so my open E farts!

What kind of music do you play?

Anywho those Qs I asked are really moot b/c they are not going to make or break the preamp... only the sound will.

Also I'm using a passive jazz bass and I need to have the input knob all the way just to register anything with the EQ flat. If I turn some of the low end EQ I get a good signal, but thats not the way I want to do it. Maybe raise my pickups a tad?

Anywho still withholding comments except for the meter gauge is key!

Dave

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

Well I'm back from practice and I must say that Im pleased but am still withholding a judgement because as of now I'm playing out of mackie power speakers (15 inch 300 watts, 6 inch 100 watts, tweeter 100 watts) and I really don't like them in the bass department. The woofers response cut out on low F so my open E farts!

Must get different speakers. I highly suggest the Bag End product, and I am in no way affiliated with them and/or endorsed; I just think they are the greatest.

Originally posted by KikkyMonk: What kind of music do you play?
All kinds of stuff, really. Everything from jazz-fusion to funk to rock to whatever you want to call Yogi\'s material.

Originally posted by KikkyMonk: Anywho those Qs I asked are really moot b/c they are not going to make or break the preamp... only the sound will.

Also I'm using a passive jazz bass and I need to have the input knob all the way just to register anything with the EQ flat. If I turn some of the low end EQ I get a good signal, but thats not the way I want to do it. Maybe raise my pickups a tad?

Yikes! Are you using the 'passive' input? You shouldn't have to have your input gain cranked through the ceiling like that... are your tone knobs flat on the bass? Even when I completely dis-engage my active electronics (thank you Mike Lull for this wonderful feature) I still get a great tone without hardly moving the input gain. You might need to raise your pickups some as you suggested and/or use the other input jack.

Originally posted by KikkyMonk: Anywho still withholding comments except for the meter gauge is key!
The VU Meter is the coolest thing ever, and it has lights on it to boot! According to a guitarist friend of mine who is also WAY into lot's of lights on gear, the VU meter is worth at least a dozen blinking lights. :D

-Brian

I am using the one marked high as the instuctions says it is for passive basses... I tried the other for shits and giggles and even with the input full bore couldn't get the needle to move with anything but the hardest of plucks. (its a fender with 2 vols and a tone and I have both vol up all the way with the neck backed off just a tad and the tone all the way up)

Hrm... maybe I need to consult Greenboy on raising the output... perhaps some mod...

Yeah... you know they should make a 1 rack mount device that does nothing but has lots of colored lights and meters and stuff!

Dave

I was thinking of the acme b-2... but really have no way of checking anything out as the only store around is GC and they suck.

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

Yeah... you know they should make a 1 rack mount device that does nothing but has lots of colored lights and meters and stuff!

Alright, that does it... I'm going forward with my plans to make my Blink-O-Matic rack mount products. Initially I'm thinking the Blink-O-Matic 1000 - 5000 series. The 1000 will be one rack space of blinkin' and chasing LED's, the 2000 will be 2 rack spaces.. the 3000 will have at least one VU meter with a noise gate on it... so as signal hits it the meter moves. The 5000 will of course be the 'big un', at 5 rack spaces, multiple VU meters and tivoli lighting. :D

Yeah it might be... its a MIM '99 fretless, nothing special by any means, but not horrible (read- its not a rogue)

I have not touched the electronics beside putting in the J-45s and I'm competent enough to match positive to positive and neg to neg. This weekend I'll open my bass up and see if I can see something obvious.

Only wish I had another bass to compare it with... maybe my friends washburn, but that is active (very crappy elecs to boot)

Anywho thanks for the help and let me know if you think of something else.

Dave

What about taking the bass and pre to a store? Plug in different components and you should be able to figure out what component isn't working. If your bass is the issue, it should sound worse than other basses on any amp in the store.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I took it once to GC and played through a GK 800 and a GK 4x10 and it sounded MONSTER! Only I had to adjust the tone knobs alot... the same thing I had to do on my preamp at practice. I think maybe my bass doesn't sound good and I have to compensate with EQ :(

Dave

Archived