Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dishing It Out Can Pay

g.

So...the regular dudes are capable of playing with balls, but don't because the audience wants them to?

I can just imagine..."Dude, if you do what the audience wants, then you're selling out, man..."

Whatever.

Sounds like you and the sub drummer won't be subs for long...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the work. Sounds like some issues in that group - can't tell how it will work out (you know how flaky these musicians are).

Main thing is that you get to play, and you are appreciated by those (like the drummer) that you respect. I'm raisin' a glass your way !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

This makes me reflect on my present situation. The singer, drummer, and guitar player all don't have a lot of drive IMO; they're reasonably competent, show up on time, and easy to get along with (and none of 'em smoke--wow, a smoke free band!!) But after six months we're really not kicking it into high gear...We had a second lead guitar player (he actually brought me into the band to replace their previous bass player) but he left for his other project, because it has tons of energy! (Unfortunately his son is playing bass on his other project) I can't push energy into this band, God knows I'd like to get something more energetic than Margaritaville, and they'll even talk about it, but...??? It didn't even occur to them to try to line up a gig for New Year's Eve!!

I guess I'll keep hanging with them for a while just to keep my chops up but my frustration is growing. (I could maybe even handle the geriatric tunes if we had more gigs) Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Yep, I have considered whether to move on. Though for the next year, it would be kinda nice to keep with these guys (I will finish grad school next December and studying has severely cut into my practice time--you know how hard it is to go back to school when you're in your 40's??)

There's advantages and disadvantages to almost everything: stay in the comfort level of an existing situation, or venture out into something unknown. (Sometimes I wish the Man Upstairs would give me a sign--make that a billboard: HEY BILL, MOVE ON!!) I could wax poetically about life and choices and things that happen........ :cool:

BenLoy and earljam, seems odd doesn't it? You'd have to be delusional to think that these kind of gigs are either concerts, or chances at any real fame. So. You might as well have fun - and that means meaking fun for others.
Delusions are very, very easy for people to develop. I played in a band that paid decently, and had very good musicians...but the when the guitarist went up to the mike and said "One day, this next song will be known as a jazz standard," I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

Man, this is a really interesting thread considering last nights events with an outreach band that I play with. I've been rehersing with these folks since late August and we've averaged a gig or two month since then. An interesting mix of originals and covers. Things were starting to gel with the musicians. I really liked the drummer. A hard hitter who could slam it and kick it in gear. We really starting to get into each other as a rhythm section. At least I was getting a much better feel for how he does his fills, accents, and where he likes to kick the tempo. Last gig we did really rocked the house - err ah ...dished it out. I had a ball and the audience did too. The band got a lot of compliments after that gig.

Well we had the almighty how's your committment meeting that all bands seem to inevitably have. All of us are professionals (outside of music) who do this as ministry as well as for a love of music. So the self-delusional factor is very low. I knew something was up when he skipped two practices in a row. Now looks like he no longer wants to be a part of the band. Just when it was getting to be fun .... Dang!!!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Dishing it out... I never thought of it in such passive terms, but I get the picture. You gotta drop a fucking 30 megaton warhead every time you play. Period. There should be nothing left but ash and rubble when you're done.

In my experience, that's the only way to play. If you do less, you're cheating yourself, the band and the audience. That's all there is to it. The people who give every performance their all get noticed and progress. The people who don't, don't. As I've said before, I feel like a liar if I don't do this at every show. This is why we tend to get compliments like, "I don't really like that kind of music, but you guys are awesome." I think these kinds of compliments come because we play like we fucking mean every word and note of every song for the entire time we're onstage, and people pick up on this even if our style isn't their cup of tea.

GB...

If you're doing this, it's no wonder that you're getting calls. Work it like a supermodel, baby.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived