Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to build a bass/equipment case

Connie Z

When it's gig time, my band and I end up loading about 30 individual pieces of equipment into the car/van, which kinda drives me crazy. We do it collectively.

My thought is that each of us should be responsible for our own list of equipment, and then we all give a hand to the drummer.

I'd like to construct a travel case which would protect and hold the following:

electric bass

guitar stand

mic stand

mic

about 4 cables

music stand

lead-sheet binder

misc stuff like batteries, tuner, etc.

I want it to be lightweight, and have wheels and a handle.

Has anyone built one from scratch before? Mine will not have to go through airports and not have to be extremely strong, just functional.

I have been looking at prices of "custom-made" cases, and there is no way I can afford one anytime in the next... 20 years!?!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :thu:

... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found that a double gig bag is sufficient to carry all of my gear, which is what you mention, save the music stand. It's a lot cheaper and you can put it in the backseat, or in the passenger seat, if you have no passenger.

Perhaps you can take an SKB case and modify it with a compartment on the top side and affix the wheels to one end and a dolly style handle on it. I would make it the same length and width as the SKB and make it about a foot deep. Line it with foam. Possibly get creative and make separate compartments for the smaller items and the stands. Hinge it on the same side as the hinges of the SKB and put on some sturdy latches. Personally, I'd stick with the double gig bag and break down the stands all the way. It should all fit nicely, of course, you won't have the wheels, but you can strap it across your back while you're carrying more gear. When traveling, I never put my bass in with the rest of the gear. I always keep it in truck with me. The guitars all fit nicely stacked and belted in the back seat.

I was going to suggest a gig bag for the bass and a few accessories and a rack case as well. There is a company who makes them with wheels and a retractable handle. I forget their name, but they were at NAMM and I saw their cases at the recently defunct Mars Music, so they are around.

If their size isn't sufficient for the longer items (stands), and the rack case solution too expensive, you may want to just consider picking up one of the Rubbermaid plastic tubs and attaching it to one of the widely available $20 hand trucks. My last band had a large one of those tubs for cables and accessories. You really don't have that much stuff.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Originally posted by cornbread:

Perhaps you can take an SKB case and modify it with a compartment on the top side and affix the wheels to one end and a dolly style handle on it

Cornbread (or other person more knowledgable than me!), I do not know what an SKB case is. I don't know what SKB stands for :confused:

Please heeeeelp me! :)

Thanks for the help! ... Connie Z

BTW, I am loving all of these suggestions by Corn and Bob!

Connie, go to the American Musical website www.americanmusical.com and subscribe to their free catalog. They've got fifty pages or so of all kind of music stuff, PA's,guitars,basses, amps, drums, and -guess what--cases too! SKB is the brand name for a company that makes cases. They've got all kinds.

By getting the aforementioned catalog you'll get an idea of what is available, not only in cases. but with all other kinds of gear.

I've used homemade cases, but IMHO they are usually very heavy or a little flimsy compared to the molded plastic units.

Originally posted by Connie Z:

Originally posted by cornbread:

Perhaps you can take an SKB case and modify it with a compartment on the top side and affix the wheels to one end and a dolly style handle on it

Cornbread (or other person more knowledgable than me!), I do not know what an SKB case is. I don't know what SKB stands for :confused:

Please heeeeelp me! :)

Thanks for the help! ... Connie Z

BTW, I am loving all of these suggestions by Corn and Bob!

http://www.skb-industrial-cases.com/pages/industcover.html? will show you their main page and illustrations. They are now making Roll-X, their own version of the rack case with the built-in wheels and handle.

I should also mention that heavy plastic golf bag cases with lids, designed for airplane transport of your clubs, can be another candidate, especially for those with stands and other long items requiring that dimension. Some of those have wheels, too, though they can be expensive.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Lots of places I play don't have room for much other than what is in use, and it even gets worse when the drummer has hard cases. So I tend to use long nylon cordura gym bags for everything I can (use cut-to-shape padding made out of backpacker sleeping mats to protect some gear within the bags), and stack lots of cords in the back of amp and mixer racks (have shaped rubber mats to keep them away from the patched gear). For longer stands I have longer nylon bags made for this.

That way any carrying gear takes very little room when not in use. It end up mashed in back of my bass rig usually, which may even have additional damping benefits : }

A drumer's trap case sounds like the idea if you want a case, but for what you've got, a bag will do fine. I've got twice as much misc. stuff that I carry to gigs (counting mics and such) and a bag was always been fine.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Connie,

I've had the same need. I have a soft computer case that holds my cables, binder, batteries, etc. Then I carry the rest of the stuff (music stand, mic stand, power strip, ext. cord, etc.) separately. I am close to buying one of those large luggage bags with wheels and handle. I'll throw the stands in, the ext. cord, and my computer bag (it's padded to keep the mic, tuner, etc. safe). My bass is in a hard case, so I'll carry that separately.

The advantage to laptop computer bags is the size (good for regular size binders) and padding. The downside is it's not big enough for everything.

Keep looking !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Connie Z:

electric bass

guitar stand

mic stand

mic

about 4 cables

music stand

lead-sheet binder

I want it to be lightweight...

not gonna happen.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

SKB cases are the worst pieces of junk. One dent in the rail or one fall and the case is history. The latches are useless. They are made of ABS plastic, which gets brittle in the cold, and melts when exposed to heat.(such as a cig butt) They offer no more protection than the afore mentioned gym bag.

Check with your local sound companies, they often sell off old cases for new, and mya have a utility case that will serve your purpose with little modification.

If however you play the smallerish venues, road cases are bulky and do take up alot of room, that is sometimes difficult to find for storage.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

electric bass

guitar stand

mic stand

mic

about 4 cables

music stand

lead-sheet binder

OK, here's what I think:

Use a regular bass case -- whatever you've already got is probably fine.

Get a small duffel bag for the other crap.

I beg you -- DON'T try to build something to hold all of this stuff. It'll weigh a ton and take up WAYYYY too much space. I fit all my crap in a bass case and a small metal briefcase. The only thing that doesn't fit into the briefcase is my mic stand. This means I have to make two trips for my gear -- one for the amp, and one for my bass & crap. If I can do it with nobody else's help. If you build a huge case for everything, you'll never budge it alone.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

These have all been great and informative suggestions. Here's my plan of action:

1. I shall first visit the local music stores, to see if they have any old (and inexpensive) hard cases. At this time the only case I have for my bass is a soft one. I will first see what is out there for the bass itself. Then I will see if any other used hard cases could work for storing the rest of my stuff, if I create a kind of customized foam-rubber insert.

2. I shall look around to see if I can find a tall enough duffel bag, to hold my mic stand. The mic stand is the tallest thing I have to carry, and it gets pretty small when I retract everything.

I shall return to the board with a description of whatever I end up with, and let you know if it works for me.

Thanks again for all of the info. ... Connie Z

Archived