Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

chord chart help..............anyone?

JDL

Oh, I forgot to add on my last post, thanx for all the great information. I juts read this post and man it is a lot to take in. Is there a chord chart book that could help me practice this? And how will learning chord charts help me? If I was to become a studio bassist, isn't it essential? Again, gb, dbb, ds and everyone, thanx for the information! I hope this thread will help others as well.

JDL-starting to understand a little/lot better.................

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chart reading is used in a lot more places than just in the studio. However, studio players when not given charts will often write their own.

"Pickup" gigs (bands where there are no rehearsals, just a bunch of people who get together on stage) go a lot easier with charts.

Any professional vocalist should have a book of charts so that when she or he runs into a new band or accompanist they can start singing immediately.

If you buy song books or sheet music, there are chord names on top of the music. You can make up a part from them.

When you go to a rehearsal and learn songs, you are essentially "writing a chord chart" in your head. Some people will actually write down their own charts to help them remember the songs. Writing things down may make the form of the song and the relationships between the chords clearer.

For most of my career in cover bands, I have written chord charts out for the songs we are learning and brought them to the band. Then we play the songs. No rehearsals.

Try writing a chord chart for a song you know...at the very least you will find out a lot about what you don't know. Get some songbooks and use them to practice your reading.

Have fun.

Archived