Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg SVP-Pro Hiss, Any Experience?

markv

Looking to change the pre-amp section of my rig. Just tried an Ampeg SVP-Pro pre amp and noticed a substancial hiss even with the volume knob turned all the way down. Does anyone have any experience with these units. I have read several reviews and some mention the noise others say it is quit. Looking for a real hard rock growl to go with my Thumb 5 BO

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess one could account for the way some people say it is kinda noisy and some say it is quiet. When dealing with tubes and running high pregain it tends to bring up the noise floor as well; vice versa when running it low and running the postgain high instead. So if someone uses one or the other and doesn't really get around much...

Actually it's pretty quiet compared to anything else that uses near that many tubes. It's all in how you set it - if you want high gain sustain and overtones it's going to be noisier than if you just want clean glassiness.

I'm using an Eden WT1000 into a Genz Benz Live 410 Cab. Cutrrently using BassPod as my pre-amp. The BassPod is very quiet but doesn't seem to have the same depth as the SVP-Pro. I am assuming that is because of the tubes. The sound is pretty close when I put the BassPod on the SVT setting, but it sounds a little sterile. I am playing pretty heavy rock, using a Thumb 5 BO, and want to get that real gritty sound. My experience with other Pre's like the Aguilar DB659 is that they are really clean sounding. Too clean for my taste. The Ampeg seemed to have more of that grit I'm looking for. Just not real happy with all the hiss. Any comments? :wave:

Are you using single coils? A lot of noise there. Get a downward noise expander / gate ; } ...Actually if that preamp (SBPro) had a crossover it would have been the one in my rig. I really dig the range EQ and of clean to dirty tones it has.

The whole modeling thing is cool (I actually like the Peavey BAM better than the Pod, partially because of its design for ease of use live) but it is kind of mimicing rather than being something. It comes down to what the internal resources are and how well the sound designers and engineers are able to hear and reproduce given the processing power. Right now I get better sounds programming my own. I'm waiting for the next gen modeling to get more power and better models.

Using a Thumb 5 BO in passive mode. Are tube pre-amps usually that noisey? this one has hiss even when the volume is turned all the way down. Wasn's sure if it was the unit. Any other suggestions on tube pre's. I agree with the amp modeling statement. I like the POD a lot, but when compared to the SVP-Pro, you can really tell it is a little sterile sounding. That's why I'm considering it, even with the hiss. I just want to make sure the unit I'm trying doesn't have a problem.

One last question, any other suggestions on a pre-amp that will give a grity sound for hard rock? Tried an Aguilar and that was too high fi sounding. Please don't suggest anything in that sound category.

I seem to remember that in an old issue of Bass Player mag that had a "preamp shoot-out" that they commented on the great sound of the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp, but that it had hiss (although reasonable hiss considering the number of tubes).

If the hiss is really putting you off, and you can't combat it using some of GB's strategies, you might want to look into the SWR Interstellar Overdrive (or a used SWR Grand Prix). They ought to be able to give you some grit.

You could try to search the BP archive for the old preamp shoot-out article -- they comment on about 20 preamps, so it might give you some ideas about possible preamps to explore.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

the SWR is a good choice (one of the few SWR products i actually like).

i really love my ampeg SVP-BSP billy sheehan signature preamp. two channels (clean and OD), so i can get cleangrit tones and anything in between. i also really love my peavey max, which has a tube channel and a solid state channel. i can get a basic, thick sound with the tube channel, and then tweak with the solid state graphic EQ. also a very good preamp for rock tones.

robb.

If you use tubes and cabs with tweeters and play with a fair amount of treble (see 'bright' and 'presence' as well and then start going for more gain it will be noisier. Period. No brand is exempt. My Alembic FX-1 would throw a hissy fit if there was much going on with that area - even with so called "clean" tone settings. Tubes are already adding harmonic distortion well before one would call it dirty or even mildly overdriven.

An aside: the trick with a grungier tone is to do some selective cutting and sculpture your tone more, so it still has some brilliance but not brittle harhsness. This will also alleviate some noise problems. Getting rid of true single coils will help too.

Archived