Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cort Basses?

Greg and Sterling

I've been playing a Cort B4FL fretless everytime I go to Mars for the last year or so and I'm considering buying it, especially if I can get a deal with the going out of business and all. It seems to me to be a nice bass made from nice materials at a pretty low price(around $570). Does anyone have any strong opinions on Cort basses? I have an Ernieball-Musicman Sterling right now so I don't really need another 4 string but I would sort of like to add a fretless to my arsenal.
I'm out my league like Jordan was in baseball

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sir, I don't like 'em.

Of course, that's MY opinion. Just because someone else doesn't like a particular instrument doesn't mean you can't like it! In fact, I can't stand Warwicks or Alembics either.. doesn't mean there is anything wrong with 'em.

If you like the bass, it feels good in your hands, and you can get the tone/sounds out of it that make your toes curl with glee; buy it.

-Brian

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. I apologize, but I haven't played that brand of bass and can't comment on it specifically, but since you already play, your knowledge of what you want is already defined.

Sounds like you like this bass and feel it will do you justice. Go for it, man!

I have one high end bass and two low end basses. Haven't played the high end one in a couple of years. I think, to a large extent, no matter the quality of an instrument, the final magic is in the players hands, and this one seems to be telling you something.

Just my two cents in this silver dollar world.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I too don't like them. All the ones I played at Mars (when they were open...they're already closed here) had a plastic (phenolic, I think) fingerboard, and the body was such an odd shape that I could not hold it in my lap properly (I like to sit and play). I played a 6 string that was decent, except I don't like the sound of plastic. Other than that, it has decent electronics and a decent sound, but not for me.

You have an Ernie Ball and you're considering a Cort?

I never liked them. Bad materials,crazy shape and feel,lame pickups and there was no shielding in cavity.

And for that price, why not get a Spector? They make one for $499 and its neck-thru fretless. Carvin also has one thats $520,bolt and a fretless. Those things are great. Made in USA, factory direct and custom made. There's a neck-thru fretless Carvin that only costs $600! That's probably your best deal. Ebony fingerboard, Alder body, all standard without upgrades.

i'm going to pms with greenboy to the extent that the bass he described would be a very solid choice from any other manufacturer, and yet because cort's low end stuff isn't very desirable, our boy greg is supposed to buy a spector, which i've never enjoyed playing.

no matter how much greenboy has raged against brand snobs, it keeps coming up. half my rig is stuff that i had decided wasn't good enough for me, until i played it and listened to it. i was too busy chasing the in brands before i realized i don't like how they sound.

build quality is a concern, although very few people hold fender acountable for their mexican and squier efforts when it comes time to buy an american deluxe jazz. if you like the feel and sound of the cort, and you can forsee it being useful in future, unknown situations, buy it. don't worry about what other bass players think when they see the headstock -- if they're looking your because of your sound, it doesn't matter.

robb.

It's good to know you have other options. I was just giving them to him. If he likes the Cort, then by all means he should get it.

I think I did it right...he asked for our opinion on Cort basses. I said I didn't like them.

It's good to know your options.

It's not PMSing to suggest that one could at least address the actual model a person asked about. Personally I think too many people on the internet try to be eggspurts instead of deferring when it isn't something they really know enough about. Biases are one thing but ignoring one's own willful ignorance to "help" someone else is a responsibility I wouldn't take so lightly.

I'm with Patrick...I didn't like the Corts I played at ye olde Mars Music (*sniff*). Played a FANTASTIC acoustic guitar by them, though (at least so I felt). It was only about $450. Wish I remembered the model...have you seen acoustic guitar prices recently? I think the thing was a steal.

And to greenboy's point...I don't know which model I'm talking about, so take this with a grain of salt.

But anyway, as others have said, if you played it and liked it, then that's cool. I would only recommend that you play it more than once. I switched my mind about a few basses by playing them more than once. I don't know why that is...maybe it's just me...but it can't hurt...

Yo...

Our bassist has a Cort 5-string at home. It's very "modern" sounding. He auditioned with it. I played it. It's OK -- comfy neck, nice tension on the strings, good action. The body design is kinda corny, IMO, but it seems to be a pretty high-quality instrument.

We don't let him use it with the band, except as a back-up. It's just not what we're looking for.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived