Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yer cable stories good, bad and ugly

RM

:) This is a survey for my own edification...I am asking what

bass players use because there a lot of boutique cables and

am interested beyond what I've already heard for myself...

If it seems too much trouble to answer, that's cool...

I know a few players and what they use and won't use...

but in discussing the instrument cable(not head to cabinet)

1) Do cables matter in your rig or "sound"?

2) Does your cable ever break?

3) If it breaks do you replace it with the same brand?

4) What is your favorite(s) brand?

5) Why do you like them?

6) Anything you'd care to add?

Just curious...

Thanks

Rob

:wave:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RM:

:)

1) Do cables matter in your rig or "sound"?

2) Does your cable ever break?

3) If it breaks do you replace it with the same brand?

4) What is your favorite(s) brand?

5) Why do you like them?

6) Anything you'd care to add?

1. Yes.

2. I had more broken cables back when I used Conquest cables, not so much anymore.

3. Not usually. If it breaks, I look for something more durable.

4. Currently using Fender and Armored cables. I prefer the Armored from my bass, and the Fender from effects to amp, when I use effects.

5. I like the Armored cable, because it is very durable in its metal jacket, and practically coils itself. Plus, it is shiny, and I like shiny things.

6. I'd like to add my own amp to my sound, rather than loaners. I am having mine shipped soon, though, so that takes care of that. Oh, and a sponsorship from a good beer company.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I've used local brands that come with lifetime guarantees, and I bought PlanetWaves recently. i haven't noticed much difference in the sound. they've all been pretty good.

The local brands require you to bring back paperwork, which is a pain. I haven't had to do this with my PW cable, so I'm not sure.

I have one with the woven outside. It looks great, but it picks up lots of floor dirt when I'm on a school tile floor.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Different cables do make a difference in the sound, at least to my ear.

I have a pair of Monstor cables for my bass, a straight and an angled cable. I generally use the angled for the bass, and the straight for other things. I think the frequency response is superior to the other (Conquest or others) cables that I used previously. With the other cables it seemed I had to repairs them (resolder the connections) quite a bit, but I have not touched the Monstors at all since I bought them (4 years ago).

I also have some low/oxygen mic cables (I can't remember the brand here in the office ), but when I used those cable from my direct box to the PA, I noticed a BIG difference. The highs were sparkling and the low blooming. I am definitely sold the the "boutique" cable thing, but YMMV...

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

If you are using mic cords for cable make sure you are using an active bass, or for passive use check the capacitance of that cable against the best cables made for high impedance sources. The lowest picofarad per foot wins - far more important than having less resistance due to more wire, for an instument lead.

Didn't we have a topic about what to look for in instrument leads, speaker cables, etc, just last week?

Yes leads do make a difference. I first discovered this when I borrowed a Planet Waves cable from a g****r player and then bought two of my own.

Unfortunatly both of these cables are now bust. One of them has a fault at the instrument jack socket and the other one picks up Dutch AM radio. (No word of a lie.)

My final word on the subject is MONSTER. Monster cables are well worth the extra money. BUY MONSTER CABLES THEY'RE GREAT.

PS: If anyone from the manufacturer reads this I'd be more than happy to sign some form of endoursement deal.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived