Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First URB Gig

Wally Malone

I finally had a gig where I was able to use my URB. The wedding/corporate gig band that I play with did a corporate gig where there was no dancing. She had a new song she wanted to sing tonight, Don't Know Why off of Nora Jones' latest CD. This week when I sat down to learn it I didn't like the way my six-string sounded and felt on this tune. I picked up my URB and magic. Keep in mind that this is not a hard tune to play, but it just "was happening" on URB. I asked the leader if she minded if I brought my URB and she liked the idea. I used for about a half dozen songs in the first set. I played it through my Eden Metro and used the A/B channel switching to keep a good tone without changing any settings when going back & forth between it and my six. Can't wait until the next opportunity. :cool:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great. Like I heard Wynton Marsalis say one time, referring to the URB..."it's the truth."

Which p/u system did you use?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Welcome to the dark side.... :cool:

They are a pain in the ass to schlep around and amplify, but there is something very organic and satisfying about the whole experience of merging with a double bass, that is unlike the electric experience.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Originally posted by 57pbass:

Can you tell us more about the A/B switching and what type of device you are using...

I used my Eden Metro and since my foot switch is currently not working I would used my tuner bypass to cut the signal then turned around and did the manual A/B switching on the Metro. I only took one chord so after hitting the tuner I would pull the plug and switch basses. I was actually able to switch in about 15 seconds.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived