Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Basses on CD's

KikkyMonk

What bass did led zeppelin's bassist use?

What about marlyn manson ? (wow... two completely different genres)

What about NIN bassist on downward spiral?

Anyone know what bass coldplay uses?

Anyone want to throw any other CDs?

Anywho,

Dave

I already asked what did pink floyd bassist use on dark side of the moon... boy that sound is nice.

Oh yeah and I know that amps, EQs, and most of all PLAYER have a lot to do with it...

Will you EVER forgive me for not knowing the name of led zeppelins bassist? I'm young and unwise in this world... woe is me!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Paul Jones, and I believe he was a Fender Jazz Bass guy. JPJ is definitely one of my most favorite bass players, and a really under appreciated musician. You should see the list of arrangements he's done for other bands.
I have no homepage.

JPJ is now a big believer in Lakland basses, although most of them look like vintage Fenders for some reason...

Not too sure about Manson, but he probably uses something freaky looking.

Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame uses a Fender Precision, with a PICK! Well ok, some fingerstyle too.

Dave Schools of Widespread Panic uses a Modulus Graphite 6string, and Mike Gordon of Phish mostly uses his 6string made by sound guy and luthier extraordinaire Paul Languadoc (sp??), but also plays a 5 made by the same guy. The bassist of The String Cheese Incident abuses a Modulus Quantum 5, as well as an acoustic bass 4string.

I play a Washburn 5string something-or-other, as well as a fretless 4 string something-or-other (not too sure), but I'm not on any CDs, that I know of.

Anyone else wanna throw something else in?

I believe I saw something on MTV once where Twiggy fro Marilyn Manson was using a Gibson RD Artist bass, but it was refinished and also a T-bird. The NIN bassist used a Fender with a P-J setup. It wasn't a standard model, but I'm not certain which model it was.

I believe the bassist in Coldplay uses a Fender Jazz.

As to why manufacturers make Fender-esque basses, why reinvent the wheel? Leo got it right the first time around, why screw that up?

JPJ favors custom basses made for him by his bass tech. In particular, he's been playing a 10-string Manson (I think they're Manson basses). I think he also uses a ton of different types of gear in terms of amplification and effects -- at least playing live. I'm not sure what he uses in the studio these days. Perhaps some one saw him play on tour last year (2 yrs ago?) with King Crimson? He also plays a bunch o' other instruments -- mandolin, stick, guitar, and so on.

I believe that for a fair number of "visible" players, they often use different gear on the road live than they do in the studio. But by no means is that a "universal" truth! ;)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The inside credits of a CD jacket will reaveal wonders... ;) I know Jason Hoyt plays alot of different basses on his recordings, but live he usually plays one of these http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/images/nikkisixxbass.jpg

...do you think he is just a show off? :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Archived