Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Removing Stay-lok ferrules from bass

Jim T.

Can any luthier/repair persons out there tell me how recessed Stay-lok ferrules are removed from a bass body? I figure that someday, they wear enough that even new pins/ball bearings may not hold in them. Is there a special tool? Thanks.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't go that in-depth on my re-work so can't help you directly, but I would suggest checking out the Stewart Macdonald website, as they have a seriously extensive supply of tools for any level of guitar making/rework from luthier to beginner. They have a technical help section to Email your question to them, and probably the expertise and tool(s) to help you out.

Maybe some luthier sites wouldn't mind you contacting them with your question either.

For Stewart Macdonald, go to:

www.stewmac.com

Hope this is helps.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Thanks fig. I know about Stew-Mac. I'll give 'em a try if no one else here knows from personal experience... I used to sell Stew-Mac banjo kits back in the day!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

What are stay-lok ferrules? If they are string ferrules you can probably gently tap them out from the other side. Tap a little at one position, move across, tap about the same there, then divide the pie into quarters. That would keep it going out rather evenly so that it can't grab a chunk of wood out on one side at the surface.

Ok Jim, I'm curious too as I did a search for Stay-lok, assuming it's a commercial name, and found references for fishing gear and yachting.

Now, I'm not gonna make any jokes about taking your bass out fishing or pleasure cruising, but I'll bet that salt water is a bitch on the strings! (alright, I gave in...so sue me.... :)

What is the Stay-lok used for on your bass?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

DOH!

I meant STRAP-loks (locks?) Guess I was subconciously thinking of another similarly named product. Sheesh.

Anyhoo, the ferrules are recessed tubular thingies-like a really deep string ferrule which receives the strap-lock's ball bearing loaded pin, thus holding the strap to the bass. There's no way to push 'em out from the other side-they'd need to be pried out or pulled out with a special tool I guess-like a propellor puller or an auto battery terminal puller? I've asked around lots of music stores with repair guys and gals, but they only seem to be familiar with the original non-recessed models. Thanks. I'm goin' fishin' while I see what kind of info I can catch! :o

Edgar Watson Howe

LMAO....I just use the excuse of too many drugs as a youth for my occasional bouts of cranial rectumitis :) .

It sounds like you'll replace it with the same system when it wears out, so knowing the manufacturer, can you contact them for advice? Hopefully someone on here has the experience to answer this. Can you contact the bass manufacturer? Unfortunately, I'm only aware of the external lock systems, too.

If it were me and I wanted to keep the hole intact to re-install a replacement, I'd probably try a drill, dremel, or lathe and drill out the inside of the metal receptacle until it's thin enough to deform with a sharp object and pull it out.

Or cover it, paint it, and put on an external system. But what do I know....I use the plastic thingys from bread bags over the strap pins. Tacky, but functional....LOL.

Good luck.

I haven't searched to look at the item, but I'm guessing a good way to design one would still be to use a wood screw through the center to hold them securely within the drilled recess. If so, remove the screw, then insert the strap mechanism into the strapholder to lift it out.

Bill,

Yeah, an EZ Out sounds like it'd work! I didn't think of them because the ferrules aren't threaded inside (the visible part).

Man, I thought these Strap-loks (recessed) were much more common than they seem to be. Must be a recent addition to the Jim Dunlop product line?

I really like them and have no problems with them, just wondered about their eventual replacement procedure. I'll try emailing Jim Dunlop.

By the way, I figured out where I got "Stay Lok" from... I'm an avid sailor and stay-loks are a common re-rigging item for boat rigging. They are an end fitting for braided stainless steel twisted strand wire.

Too many hobbies too little time, I guess! :D

Thanks guys.

Edgar Watson Howe

Yeah, I think I'd send an email and see if you can find out if the recessed insert has one-way tangs or ribs on the outside. If it does, I'd probably be concerned about using the EZ Out, as it might rip up the wood on the way out. If the sides are smooth, then an EZ Out outta work perfectly. If it's tanged or ribbed, you may have to ream the insides out as suggested earlier, unless you don't mind some minor wood repair.

Let's hope it's smoothy!

I also sent this post to check out my first avatar....Woohoo!

May you have fair winds and following seas...

Hey....the avatar worked!!!

PARTY!!!

Even added them to the previous posts. Kewl.

Sorry...I'm such an excitable boy....

I feel so official:)

And now, back to the original post...

I'll let you all know what the skivvy is, when I find out. Thanks all.

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived