Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass books?

Scoot

Any opinions on Dr. Licks' "Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson"? I have his similar book on James Brown and love it.

What about "Ray Brown's Bass Method"? I'm not a "jazz cat" by any means, but looking for something to expand my playing. Heard some good things about this one and also heard some opinions saying other books better serve this purpose.

Anything else I should check out?

thanks again

Ah, nice marmot.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get the Jamerson book. Every bass player should have it. The James Brown book is actually pretty easy, the Jamerson book will have you working overtime just to get through the first few examples.

The Ray Brown book will not make you a jazz player if you don't want to be one. ;)

It's nearly all exercises covering the whole neck. There are only a few pages of walking bass examples. It's just exercise after exercise and would be worthwhile practicing.

Another book every bass player should have is the Simandl book, and no, it won't turn you into a classical player.

Other books you may want to consider are books written by Ed Freidland and Carol Kaye. Both have a jazz orientation and are written for players at various levels. Both authors get away from scales and focus on chordal arrangement, which is closer to how songs actually function. I find them very helpful.

Good Luck,

Dan

There is a rip in the space-time continuim and it rings at B flat.

If you want to expand your horizons, the first thing you should do is work your CD player overtime. Listen to everything you can get your hands on and analyze it part by part. Besides, they'll make a good soundtrack for your reading.

You know what's good- go to the library and watch Ken Burns' "Jazz" tape by tape, especially the last 3 episodes.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

scootdog,

If you get these three books, you'll eventually know your entire neck and get enough jazz input to start jamming:

l. Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" similar to Ray Brown's book but with FAR more instruction and practical application to walking and accompanying.

2. "Serious Electric Bass" by Joel Di Bartolo

(He was the "Tonight Show'" bassist for years.) If you go through this easy to follow book (if you can read notation) you'll be pretty darn masterful by the time you get to the back cover. It's available at Guitar Centers. I like that he uses one finger per fret philosophy although he also shows you a MILLION alternate fingerings too.

3. Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines" is the BEST walking instruction I've seen yet and the first to get me going successfully after trying from other books for years! Definitely get this one!

I'm a huge Ray Brown fan and have seen him perform several times but I've never understood how a teacher who's had so many apprentices, wrote a book with NO instruction in it whatsoever. Reid was the head of the jazz dept. at my old alma mater and even though he's using upright fingerings, it's useful.

Please do let us know what you choose and what you found successful as some of us teach and getting feedback is good!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Originally posted by Jim T.:

3. Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines" is the BEST walking instruction I've seen yet and the first to get me going successfully after trying from other books for years! Definitely get this one!

This is the book I was thinking of when I replied earlier and I have to wholeheartedly agree with you. That book makes walking bass lines fun.

I had started earlier with Carol Kayes material, which is quite good, but this book by Friedland filled in the blanks very nicely.

Dan

There is a rip in the space-time continuim and it rings at B flat.

Ahh, once again I am blessed by the vast knowledge in the forum. I went with DiBartolo, Friedland, and (of course) Jamerson (good article in BP this month!)

Unfortunately, the Jamerson and Friedland won't be shipped 'til mid December :cry: But I have a feeling that the DiBartolo book and it's 270+ pages will tide me over, especially since my sight reading skills are weak at best.

thanks again,

s.d.

Ah, nice marmot.

Yeah, the Di Bartolo book will take anyone a long way. It's tempting to skip around in it but DON'T! i made that mistake and am know making myself go through it page by page in order and understanding how stuff relates to other stuff (that's technical eh?) much better now!

Don't fret about having to wait for the walking book because you'll need to know your arrpeggios and seventh chords well before you can appreciate the walking style's note choices.

Have fun!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Wow, someone actually know's the Dan Dean books! I thought they were out of print? I love those books for beginner's.

I would just like to add that the Simandl, Rufus Reid, and Ray Brown books are great, if you are an aspiring upright player. In my opinion, they don't translate well to the electric bass, unless you are just looking for material to read through.

I have no homepage.

Hey, thanks for all the kind words about my books. It's interesting to note that both Joel DiBartolo and I live in Arizona. He gets the northern half of the state, and I get the southern half. Joel is a great guy and a great player. His book is a veritable tome of useful bass information. I think anyone that goes through it and understands everything is set for life!

Wally,

I got a heads up that someone mentioned my book, so I thought I'd say thanks.

The exciting news is my Funk/Slap DVD is going off to be manufactered tomorrow. They say it takes a month for it to hit the streets, just in time for a funky Christmas. I'll be sure to pop in and mention it when it's officially out.

Ed

Archived