Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D'Addario EXP coated strings

Mike H.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm using them right now. I find they have exceptional brightness at the very beginning (of course), but after time (a month or so) the E string lost it's brightness. Every other string is still new sounding, except the E. Maybe I just got a bad E, hopefully the next set I buy will be better.

What keeps it new sounding so long is a coating of polyurethane on the outer wrap, with a hex core. On my B string, I can see some of this polyurethane, but it does nothing to hinder the sound produced. Hey, what's better than a string that's supposed to last 3-4 times longer for only about $35 USD? I'm not too sure, but these come close.

...and the paint huffing is like in golf: a handicap. Only way it'd be fair. When I see 18 holes I play 'em all hard and fast (that full neck workout) and get back to the pro shop ahead of the game, just in time to hear about how people are supposed to hold a golf club. Sheesh, from Bill Murray in Caddyshack yet. Or was it the old dude in Police Academy?

Greenboy, both. And I thought that all strings should fade into oblivion together. And my E string doesn't really get that much play. My B gets less, as I mainly focus on all those higher strings. Ok, so I kinda play it likes it's a g***ar. Sue me. I love getting all up in yo face in the upper registers, especially with some warm overdrive.

I have tried the coated strings on my Martin and Guild dreadnaughts.I went back to the store and told them they loose sustain after 2 weeks and rheir brightness as well.My bass strings are roundwound nickle(ernie balls ).6 mos. later still tonally fine.The coating to me is a gimmic.I read here you can soak um in butter for extened life .YUK!!Too much cholestorol. :wave:

I dunno about the comparison. What I'm always looking for in strings are more compressed-wound optioins because the best examples have lots of overtones all the way up into the roundwound range but are easier on fretless 'boards.

I felt that I wanted the vibrational density of metal and feared that any other material would slightly impact the extended voice and the sustain at least in some ranges.

D'Addario was nice enough to hold a free set of strings clinic near by. Only 6 string electric or acoustic guit**s though. I had to tell two of my buddies about it. We felt a little guilty going in there to the music store having them string up three instruments and then leaving without buying anything but hey a new set of stings! They strung my acoustic up with a pair of the EXP coated strings. They sound great on my old Takamine. The guy stringing them up said the B and E strings would be the first to go.

I've heard that the Elixirs coating can begin to flake off. I'm still trying different kinds of bass strings. I think the idea is good though if they can keep the tone and make them last longer I'm all for it.

I have got into the habit of wiping down my strings after some good use, most the time. My guitarist bought some Finger Ease stuff I sprayed on a rag then wiped down my bass strings. It seems like using that would clean and protect them better than without. I'm trying to keep them clean and sweet sounding.

"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Archived