Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Was Bass your first choice?

michael saulnier

That's right...

I typically use thumb, 1 and 2 in a sort of Travis picking style...do octaves that way, but even scales and solo licks.

I rarely (probably never) play 2 consecutive notes with the thumb,

Here lately, I've been locking my thumb and second finger together as if I was holding a pick, and using the downstroke of thumb and upstroke of second finger in a rapid, picking style sometimes.

I don't care if you use thumb, pick, "funky-fingers," a pencil, fingernails, or discarded 5 franc coins.

I'm listening for evenness of attack, rhythmic integrity and great articulation...these are tasks I fill all of my practice time trying to perfect.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed recently that I'll thumb on occassions.

Use what you want, just recognize what each technique's advantages and disadvantages.

When I use a pick, it's usually a medium or hard (I think I like the medium, but I'm not too picky about being picky).

Interestingly, I've found thta with my new bass, I can get more "snap" from hitting with my fingers than with a pick. Weird.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Ultravibe:

Yeh. My brother got a Sears guitar for his birthday that year, and said I should get a bass. Saved money from the ol' paper route for months and my parents pooled that with their own money to buy me a Fender Bullet and a Sears amp for Christmas.

The Sears bass amp was the worst piece of shit ever created by man. Whoever thought that it had any redeeming value can rot in hell. I played for two years wondering why my bass never sounded like the ones on the records I was playing along with.

My first bass amp was a Sears Silvertone as well.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived