Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bromberg Jaco Tribute

Wally Malone

After my gig this afternoon I stopped at Tower Records and picked up Brian Bromberg's Jaco Tribute CD. Listened to it on the way home and really enjoyed it. Some great arrangements and he plays a variety of basses including URB. I'll post again after a few more listens. Anyone else here picked it up yet?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not heard it, as I was unaware it existed. I got really turned off to Bromberg.. just because the guy is an ass. He's got "I'm way more important than you" attitude to the Nth degree. Most of his solo cd's aren't all that interesting to me anyways... he's got huge chops, but his writing never really did anything for me.

I plan on picking up a Bromberg CD. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will say this musician or that is an ass (and for often the most personal or trivial reasons), but there are probably quite a few persons who might not. Seems like an odd thing to focus on anyway.

I've heard bits and pieces of his playing over the years. He is a monster player, and with taste {and I like those Peavey B-Quads ; }. Don't know what the quality of his writing is, but one thing I've learned: find out for yourself. People tend to harbor some ideals that keep them from enjoying diverse approaches or certain styles. I have my own blind spots that may not match theirs ; }

On Friday Nov. 1st, I had dinner with Brian at Yoshi's (Jazz club/restaurant) in Oakland, CA. He was playing there with Kenny Rankin; man what a killer show!

The Jaco CD is wonderful & is quickly becoming my current favorite! Brian was asked to do a tribute CD; he didnt set out to do it on his own. He said, Those performances were so good, I thought, What could I possibly add to the music? Its almost like sacred ground in a way. You dont mess with Jaco. (Brian didnt just know about Jaco; Brian knew Jaco)

He added, One of the things that I thought would really cool was if some of these tunes might possibly break through to jazz radio & have so many people that would never have heard of Jaco or his music actually hearing it for the first time. For me to be able to make that happen, to spread the word about Jaco & his music & reach a whole audience thats never even heard of himthat would be an incredible honor.

Whether it's been phone, email or in person, Brians always been a great guy. He's never acted like a pre-Madonna or had an attitude problem. I can only tell you my experiences with Brian, your mileage my very. Regardlesspick up the CD!

Whappo

Wally & Whappo,

Could you tell me a little more about the arrangements/sound/style of Bromberg's tribute CD? Are they vastly different from Jaco's? Do they at any time approach "smooth jazz"? Thanks for more info in advance. Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Well...here it goes.

"Come On, Come Over" Super funky with a low B

"Teen Town" 1/2 speed groovin hip-hop

"Three Views of a Secret" Upbeat & Latinized

"Continuum" Upright, electric fretless & acoustic picolo bass

"The Chicken" Smokin & on upright

Tears" Brian's own beautiful ballad

"Slang(ish)" A breakneck conversation between slapping & fretless

So, is some of this smooth jazz? A couple of songs may blend more towards smaooth jazz than the originals, but most of this would never get air play. It is much more of a musicians CD. IMHO ;)

Whappo

Whappo,

Indeed it sounds like Bromberg has got a real winner way of interpreting some killer material. In spite of the sacrilegious album cover {gads! - how could he dare! ; }, I'm sure he is forgiven ; }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     I'ma gonna getta dat!

Message received. Thanks Wally! Thanks Greenboy, too!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

Thanks to you too, Whappo! Sounds like a CD I'd definitely be interested in. Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

I though my schedule was going to lighten up but now realize that it won't until Thanksgiving holiday followed by my vacation. Haven't had time to really sit down with the Bromberg CD and write something but did want to comment that I heard them play the Teen Town cut on KCSM which is a 24/7 public radio jazz station not a smooth jazz station. To echo Marks sentiments I don't believe there will be much airplay on smooth jazz stations.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived