Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any bassists in the North West?

JDL

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary, Alberta. I think there are quite a few westerners on the board. I see from a previous post that you saw Barrage live. I met their bass player (Tim ?) at the local Long+McQuade where he wowed everyone with his Jaco and Victor chops (Sting Ray through a David Eden). Not often that you see the jaded music store staff stop what they're doing to listen. Humble and friendly guy as well.

Cheers.

I live in Seattle. I'm playing Friday and Saturday night this weekend.

On New Year's Eve I'm playing in a band that is opening for Mike Keneally. As BenLoy about that show. :D:D I know he hates me now.... :D

IF yoiu want lessons and/or you want to see my band, give me an email.

Don't mistake my jealousy for hate....I'm just respectful of your ability which has garnered you this wonderful opportunity.

So respectful that I wanna just GRAB YOU BY YOUR NECK AND SQUEEZE UNTIL...what? It's a hug, man! Stop wheezing!

:D

We're not just an east bunch. We're even international !!

I see some newer folk here - welcome !!

Hey HiRoller, I bet you quit that previous band cause you just got tired of them. I bet you were really bushed...

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm a Washingtonian too. You may have seen me if you're ever in Bass NW in Seattle :) Ogling the wares :D

Still trying to see Bumpcity's band! Any chance of a gig in Bellingham at "The Wild Buffalo (non smoking blues & r&b club?) It's closer to me than Woodinville :)

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Originally posted by Jim T.:

I'm a Washingtonian too. You may have seen me if you're ever in Bass NW in Seattle :) Ogling the wares :D

Still trying to see Bumpcity's band! Any chance of a gig in Bellingham at "The Wild Buffalo (non smoking blues & r&b club?) It's closer to me than Woodinville :)

Man.. that funk band is in it's death throws right now I'm sad to report. I announced my resignation from that band about a week ago. Bummer.

I'm really busy with other stuff right now anyways, the other 3 bands are kinda taking up a lot of my time... and learning Yogi's stuff is brutalally time consuming (so worth it though).

I grew up in the northeast, traveled south, flew out west, and somehow got lodged in the midwest... Could be worse though, I could live around the "Tacoma Aroma"... ;) What's the difference between the Bears and a dollar bill? ->You can get four quarters out of a dollar... :cry:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Originally posted by Jason Hoyt:

I grew up in the northeast, traveled south, flew out west, and somehow got lodged in the midwest... Could be worse though, I could live around the "Tacoma Aroma"... ;) What's the difference between the Bears and a dollar bill? ->You can get four quarters out of a dollar... :cry:

"She had a garlic aroma that could level Tacoma..." -FZappa from "Jeweish Princess"

SO the night for random Zappa references... :D

JDL (and anybody else near Portland),

BROTHERS OF THE BALADI AT THE FEZ BALLROOM NOV 23

Following upon its highly successful debut shows, Cabaret Allumage is back with Cabaret Allumage Extravaganza! at the Fez Nightclub on Saturday, November 23. Cabaret Allumage is theater, nightclub entertainment, circus, and carnival all rolled into one. The 'Cabaret of Lights' is a high-energy show evoking the wild, alluring world of the Paris and Berlin cabarets of the 1920s and 1930s.

This month's show features the renowned middle-eastern world music of the Brothers of the Baladi, the Hot Jazz Dancers - and belly-dancers, unicycle fire juggling, fire dance, ringmasters, dazzling cabaret singers, acrobatics, a dance party, and more!

Cabaret Allumage is a show about beauty, wildness, freedom, and breaking boundaries. It is an evening about celebration, not despair. It is a pure high-voltage, fun show with an incredible array of performers. Cabaret Allumage is a journey into a different time, another dimension, and no two nights are ever exactly the same. The setting for this month's show is somewhere between Paris, Berlin, Marrakesh, and Cairo. The year, as always, is 1932. Or is it 1927?

The Fez Nightclub, 11th and W. Burnside, Top Floor, Portland, OR

Saturday, November 23. Doors 8:00. $10 Cover.

Jeremy,

I just ran a search in the city only, at Seattle Digital City for those two nights.

Taj Mahal at Dimitrio's Jazz Alley is a good one for the expansive restaurant's great sound and fantabulous menu; I don't know his current band's approach but he's been down a lot of roads with some killer bands with great bassists at times.

Hadley Caliman Quartet might be something you get to see down there often enough, but I'd consider checking that out. I think Tulas does the restaurant thing well and is "the other jazz club".

Oscar D\'Leon is what I'd probably go to for a fiery latin night. Bassist/salsero; supposed to be at the forefront. I'd sure like to find out!

I'd love to tell you, JDL : }  But some things are just better to dig into a bit because you find other things in the process. Actually going to that gig would be a topper, because it won't be an intellectual thing - it'll be real. Then you'll have the chance to know.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I live in Berkeley, but I'll be in Seattle on November 29 and 30. Any shows I should check out?

I would say one of mine... but we just got screwed by the club we _were_ playing at on the 30th. No gig for me that night. :cry:

:D

Taj Mahal should be good stuff at Jazz Alley.

Archived