Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where can I get music written for bass?

HypnoBassMan

About a month ago I was inspired by one of these forum topics to learn to read music for bass. Since then I bought some books and have been studying away. :)

I recently went to Mars Music to try and catch some deals on bass music (they are having a going out of business sale). I could be wrong but I just couldn't find any music written for bass. I'm mostly interested in classic rock tunes. There was lots of music for piano and guitar but not for bass. The bass books that I found were mostly for learning how to play bass and how to read music. :confused:

It seems that the books want to teach you how to read music, but then there is very little music to read? Is that you find? On the other hand there seems to be a lot of bass tab out there (in books or on the Internet).

Thanks for your input!

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE]Originally posted by HypnoBassMan:

It seems that the books want to teach you how to read music, but then there is very little music to read? Is that you find? On the other hand there seems to be a lot of bass tab out there (in books or on the Internet).

Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I know that feeling. When I first started to look for music written for bass, I couldn't find any and ended up asking the same question. But, for me, I am also in an orchestra and get music from my conductor. But, to get written music for bass, I just looked up in the phone book and searched around. I don't know of a certain "countrywide" music service. I found music only from a local, music service that makes music for just about any instrument. I forgot what it was called in my area, but it was something like 1---sheetmusic or something like that.Um, for a site, go to:www.sheetmusicplus.com

I've been there but maybe you should check it out. Hope that helps a little.

JDL-peace

Nothing I've done the past few years on bass has required me to read. But it has required me to learn parts, and some of them I transcribe. Then, if the part has some quirky cool stuff and it gets put aside, later I can go back to it and get some reading in...

One guy that wanted to do a trio with me had some covers he wanted to do. Rather than bring recordings, he brought song books (some of this was Beatles). I just read the left hand of the piano score, and if it sounded like a simplified transcription changed it to fit the circumstances and went back later and listened to cuts to make sure I was on track.

But to get back to the reading: having that music in front of me DID give me some reading. And occasionally I'll read some stuff out of a guitar book and transpose into another octave on the fly (I can read either clef anyway). Many written parts for other [bass clef] instruments can serve this purpose as well. Cello, trombone, etc.

The main purpose for reading for me would to be able to take something someone has arranged or composed and be able to play it without hearing a recording. So I'm not looking for commercially available bass transcriptions enough to know what is available. Sometimes I read the stuff in BP magazine though.

to get music for bass, you need a sheet music store, not a guitar store. There's tons of stuff available.

Of course you should probably start with Standing in the Shadows of Motown and play the Jamerson transcriptions.

Here's a link to a good sheet music store.

Byron Hoyt Music in San Francisco

You can also look in the double bass section and the trombone section for challenging reading in the bass clef.

There is a Beatles book available that has hundreds of songs written out in score form. There's also one for Steely Dan.

Or come over my house, I have four filing cabinet drawers full of books. ;)

Archived