Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

dcr

I tried one of these for the first time the other day, and it totally BLEW ME AWAY!! Mind you, I'd never tried one because I'd pretty much given on Fender & didn't want another one...but this was one of the best-feeling, best-sounding basses I've ever played, Fender or otherwise. One of the very, very few times that I've picked up a bass & had it instantly deliver exactly that sound I'd been hearing in my head for so long...Didn't buy it (sadly), but I can't stop thinking about it. Holy stinking cow! Nothing fancy, but what a sound.

To quote Roger Waters, does anybody else in here feel the way I do?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, oh yes.

i have played it once, and i still remember how incredible it is. i don't know why, but it is.

i've grown, lately, dissatisfied with the fender J, because i have a mexican. it sounds fine with replacement pickups, but it feels like a $300 instrument -- and it felt better than the american Js that year!

but i still remember with much fondness the geddy lee signature. signature basses are usually not worth much, but the geddy lee is an exception.

robb.

Well, basically, it's a 70's jazz bass reissue. I think it's made in Japan. I've never seen one anywhere, including the Fender booth at NAMM.

Go back and buy it if it's a great bass.

As people keep saying, there is incredible variation in Fender basses, just because something is the same model doesn't mean it will be anything like a supposedly identical model.

My 70's jazz bass, which I bought in the 70's and I love, was picked out very carefully in a store which had two dozen of them. I played them all and decided that mine was "the one".

Many years later I ran into someone with an identical looking bass about 4 serial numbers away from mine. It sounded nothing at all like mine.

Grab the Geddy Lee bass that you liked, or tell one of us where it is so we can save it from a miserable life in the hands of some wanker.

Yeah, dude. That's a phat jammin' 'bout it bass, dawg. I love Geddy's sound (I've actually been told that I sound like him, I guess it's the way my fingers strike the strings), and that bass is just perfect. I'm not too big of a fan of Fender, either, but I think I'd shut the hell up for a minute if I had one.

I'd also like to take this time to congratulate myself on going GOLD, baby. Yeah, I've only been here since August, but I'm 513 (probably 514 with this one) posts strong. Now all I need is some toof caps and a few chains and I'll be scrate, dawg.

Anyway, I do agree with you, man. It's a great bass. Wooohooo, I'm GOLD. YYEEEAAAAAHHHH!

I got mine about a year ago after playing one in Bass NW. I tried every other bass in the store, but I kept going back to it. It just played so well and had a great meat-and-potato sounds-good-for-anything kinda tone, but still distinctive. With the bridge and pick-ups, it's already tricked out the way I would do it.

I felt weird buying it because I have a strong distaste for Rush, and Geddy Lee in particular. Actually, I hate their music, but that's another thread. It's nice that the signature on the back of the headstock is illegible. I tell everyone who asks that it's a custom job, and that's the guy who did it (which I suppose isn't that far off the truth). Besides, I thought GL played a Ric or one of those headless Steinberger things. Wassupup with that?

http://www.speakeasy.org/~pumpcat/images/GL_jazzbass2.jpg

-Matt M

Geddy had has Rickenbacker days, his Steinberger days and I think was playing a Wal for a while too, but in recent years he has been playing his Fender Jazz.

Just look at the list of famous Jazz bass players, no two of them sound the same, so I wouldn't worry too much about sounding like Geddy.

Meanwhile, I found a cd by Monk Montgomery, the man for whom the jazz bass was originally designed, and I can't say that I liked his sound or music very much. Maybe I've been playing the wrong bass for the past 30 years! :confused:

But I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate anyone's music, unless it's the guy that wrote Tie a Yellow Ribbon.

I saw RUSH on Saturday night. My first time. It was such a great show. They do a super show. If you get a chance you need to see them.Geddy played his jazz all night. It sounded great. Growled, rocked, sounded great on some chording he did. I thought I would buy one but I have my jazz fixed up just fine. I bought a Modulus instead. Anyway, I played one of these a while back and it was sweet.

I saw RUSH on Saturday night. My first time. It was such a great show. They do a super show. If you get a chance you need to see them.Geddy played his jazz all night. It sounded great. Growled, rocked, sounded great on some chording he did. I thought I would buy one but I have my jazz fixed up just fine. I bought a Modulus instead. Anyway, I played one of these a while back and it was sweet.

This is funny...

Some of the folks here know about our new bassist (#5) and our attempts to bring him back into the world of passive basses and classic body styles. He was a little resistant at first, but now, after about 3 months of playing my P-Bass, he got into it and started pricing Fenders.

Guess which one he loves?

Yep. The Geddy Lee signature series P-Bass. He found one in a local store for $600. I played it, too. That thing is fucking sweet! Sounds classic, feels solid and substantial like a brick wall and it already passes our "dress code" -- all black! We also liked the big, block-shaped neck inlays.

Very nice bass.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Even though I do like Geddy Lee & Rush (within reason), the fact that it's a signature bass does nothing at all for me. (I'm glad the signature's on the back, too, not because I dislike Lee, but just because that's not a look that I really like; I guess he's the same way?)

Funny that someone should mention finger attack as making one's own sound. For years, I played my Ric Geddy-like in order to get that "prog" Ric sound. For the past couple of years, though, I've totally changed my finger style, to coax a more "trad" or J-bass kind of sound. So I think a lot of it could be that the Lee bass really fits the way I've been playing (or trying to) anyway.

(FWIW, "Tom Sawyer" was recorded on a J.)

Jeremy, you're so right about buying "the one," and I think I'll really regret not buying THAT bass some day, but it's just too hard to justify right now, given how low my "need" for such an instrument is right now, in comparison to other things I need a lot more (e.g. a keyboard for my wife, a piano for my kid, paying my property taxes, etc.). Actually, I *could* go buy it today (my wife even said so!), but I can think of too many other better ways to use $600 right now. (Then again, a measly $600 for a new, quality bass?! Especially one that's "the one"?! Seems like such a steal. Sigh. But I just don't need it.)

dcr,

Haven't seen you on the board so often of recent. Nice to bump into you on this thread. :wave:

Your wife said it was okay? Wow, that's the golden ticket in my household. If she gives me the thumbs-up, I'll even take the kids with me to the music store to make a purchase! I usually have to justify with an explanation of how I sold piece of gear X, won $xx.xx playing poker, saved $xx.xx of pocket change over the past X years, and still have $xx.xx left from an old b-day gift from my folks! ;)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming --

I haven't played one of those Fender GL Sig models, but if you were so pleased with the sound and it felt "right," maybe it is the way to go. I've had a similar experience with G&L JB-2 basses (I've played about a half-dozen in stores and only one of them didn't feel and sound "right" to me), but I feel like I'll still have a chance to nab one that's right for me in the future. :)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Would like to check out one of these bad boys. I had a late 80's Japanesse Jazz and it was excellent. I now play a 2000 USA Jazz with EMG's and I love it too. I recently played a G&L JB-2 and I would have bought it on the spot if I could have. That was one sweet bass, and it would have been about $150. less then my current jazz.

For a very sweet J sound try this on one of those Geddy basses: bridge pickup full up, neck pickup rolled off about 1/3, & master tone rolled off about 2/3. Yowza!!!

Sorry, I stopped by yesterday for a quick "visit"... I should buy that thing.

I've had a Geddy for about a year - I love it in that the neck is pretty fast and it's not too heavy.

The sound was okay but I wanted something fatter and wiht active electronics. I installed SD Bassline SJB-2 Hot Jazz Bass pups and the SD STC-2p 2-band EQ circuit for passive pups.

The bass now ROCKS!! For only about $200 I can get about any sound I want from the bass from rumbling lows like Duck Dunn, trebly percussive notes like Entwistle and even slapping and popping like Marcus. ;)

The quality of the Fender Japanese basses is equal to the American basses and at about $300 less. I also added a black pearloid pickguard and black Gotoh tuners (to fit the maple/black of the neck) and I get tons of compliments on the looks and sound. :)

It's slowly become my #1 bass for anything except funk stuff - then I go to the Spector NS2.

4 strings...2 fingers...1 thumb. Any questions?

• 1 month later...

An update---and an award! The Prize for the Absolutely Coolest Spouse of the Year goes to...

MY WIFE!!! For her incredible gift of a brand spankin' new Fender Geddy Lee Signature Edition Jazz Bass.

She told me this morning that she was cashing in some savings from an old job, & that she planned to use some of it to get me the J next month. But to put me out of my misery, she sent me to the music store today to put that sucka on layaway! :love: I hauled buns over there, & right now that Jazz sits in their back room with my name on it.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever bought a new instrument! It's also definitely one of the nicest gifts anyone has ever given me. This one's a keeper. So's the bass. ;)

I'm so excited!! This is probably the best feeling & sounding bass I've ever played, it's 100% "me." I've wanted a Jazz bass my whole life, & this is exactly the sound I've been wanting for years. Woo hoo!!

Thanks! Wally, that sums it up perfectly. Life is good. :thu:

Scootdog, I got mine at E. M. Shorts on Douglas & Grove, & they've got one more in stock!! They've also got a Sting P bass, which I've raved about in another thread. And you can't beat their prices. (No, I don't work there! ;) They've also got a nice USA 70s reissue, but it's twice the price of the Geddy (& I prefer the Geddy anyway!). Midwest Drum also has a nice J right now, transparent orange & maple board.

Congratulaions DCR! I hope you love and cherish her ;) Don't know why you'd even drream of looking past your Ric, but then again there's a lot I don't know.

Off topic I know, but I'm so happy with my self at the moment. I'm currently out of work and I'm just playiny the bass so much. Going over all the basics that I'd forgotten (believe me, these are real basics) and the bass lines are just falling out of my fingers! Next rehearsal should be great.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Archived