Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ah, sweet irony   :  }

g.

Heh, just finished two lucrative (for around here) Halloween gigs with an old band that wanted me gone some time back, with another to follow tonight. It appears that one guitarist/singer split - with the bass player - just a few days before the only gigs they had booked. The remaining guitarist and drummer called around for awhile before scraping and genuflecting in my direction with a rather servile tone ; }

After all, whom else could possibly save their bacon by knowing many of the songs, liked winging it anyway, and loves the challenge of filling that big hole that needed to be filled... So I spent some time learning a few new songs, and then went out and whomped on the part-ay people bigtime.

I must admit my more relaxed gigging sched of late has left my fingers rather unprepared for the adrenaline-driven finger pummeling I gave myself, and all fingers and one thumb are quite sore. Heck, my index picker is threatening a blister and I'll be using super glue on it and my thumb tonight : }}}}}

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     they want me back. hah! why do they think they keep losing bandmates?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, yeah - ran into one of the other caveats of realxed gigging sched - I ran my voice raw halfways through the first set from really powering though after not having been singing enough during my practicing... had to drop switch a couple songs out of that set.

Reagined it during that time, drank lots of water and seltzer/fruit juice and had my voice back for the rest of the night. Spent part of my attention on relaxing the delivery mechanisms and KEEPING them relaxed, and then it wasn't half bad.

Congrats on what sounds like a fun gig. I definitely need to concentrate on relaxing my delivery mechanisms and keeping them relaxed. (working on backup vocals now) I usually get overexcited and a little tense even at practice. As nervous as I've been at the few shows we've played(not since new years), I can't wait to do it again soon. :thu:
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Ironically, the guitarist that split with the bassist was the guy who got the bookings and had the chops with all the clubowners. So if I wanted to be in a band with one of these sub-groups it would be with him - had he not burned bridges with me previously (thus why he absconded with the latest bass player).

The subtext of all this is that to fill those three bookings each half of the split-apart band was rushing to get something together to TAKE THOSE GIGS without cancellation. The other guys thought they had it but the drummer chickened out or thought they were sounding too crappy just a day before the first of the gigs. So after calling around, the OTHER guitarist and drummer sub-band finally humbled themselves enough to call me, and we hammered away at making it less obvious they weren't that good at doing it as a three-piece.

I simply stuck to the job at hand and didn't lay any trips on them that would make them panic or feel less at ease. But they want me to play with them, and in order to play 6 or 8 times a month I'd be having to do almost all the booking because they just aren't up to it. And really, I feel the drummer will never become more than adequate at best {can you say shakey time and where's the ONE? ; }. And then, the guitarist really prefers a DUH-type bass player because then he feels like the sole attraction on stage...

The other guitarist made a tactical error by taking the other bass player. But in the long term, any band he puts together has a better likelihood of having proactive booking and being musical.

The irony only gets deeper. Not only am I still being courted by the peeps I played the three gigs with last weekend... last night I also got a call from the guitarist I previously mentioned from the other half of that Bad Band of the Past. It appears the bass player he was so enamored of has firm beliefs about booking gigs during Hunting Season. Thus a gig cancellation again looms.

So, the slithering, sly (too much for his own good!) guitarist was full of praise of my abilities and nature - and quick to assure me that should I sub, I could just wing the songs I don't know. Further, no need to hump any gear or help set the PA up. Heh.

But wait - there's more! That irony almost pales beside the fact that one wedge in the rift between him and the other guitarist he had just broken with was that Hunting Season was always used as an excuse for not wanting to gig so darn much! This proves beyond any proselytizing that KARMA does indeed exist!

Can it get any better? : }}}}}} ...I suppose I'll have to take the money, humble provider of groove and move that I am ; }

The whole thing sounds screwy. Lots of varying (and variable) priorities.

Do you trust them when they say all the equipment will be provided? I pictured you taking an active (or at least highly observant) role in the sound process.

Set up a green throne and make them court you for your services !!! Try not to gloat too much...

Tom ++ putting on sunglasses in NYC due to the glare from the northwest - greenboy's smile ++

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom,

Sure - I trust them - to do what they've been doing. If they don't know how to get good sound for everything else it still won't affect my sound. I don't need any DI - I'm bringing the Ampeg Extreme ; } ...I might twiddle a few knobs if help is earnestly sought. But if they SUCK, it's their name they are besmirching.

I'll be sounding good regardless : }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    not arrogant - just knows the score

a number of years ago i was in two bands with the same drummer. one was (as described in a later conversation with said drummer) all brains and no heart, the other all heart and no brains.

the singer in one band had the lease on the rehearsal space that both bands shared. what we didn't know about was his cocaine habit. he did absolutely nothing and as we never had lyrics the music never progressed. the guitar player being basically the band leader, the drummer being one of the best any of us had ever seen, and the singer, as i said, had the lease on the space. guess who got the axe?

as i heard it the guitar player broke it down to the drummer that something had to change and they couldn't get rid of cracky mcsinger as they would lose the space. the drummer refused to do it because he knew it was a railroad job. the guitar player didn't want to do it either. i heard from the guitar player in the other band as the felt awful and told him. i was replaced with some wanker.

turns out the singer wasn't paying the. over a year's worth was owed and he was kicked out of the studio. the band promptly dropped him, found someone who looked just like him, and actually wrote lyrics and sang. the studio owner knew and trusted the drummer and signed a new lease with him. the guitar player managed to show up at my birthday party with hot chicks. he sicced the hot chicks on me and bought me many an alcohloic beverage. he told me that the new guy wasn't working out. they needed someone who could play with a pick "you played with a pick, right?" they needed someone a little more familiar with heavy groove "you did a lot of that, right?"

next day the drummer called. i was in another band by that point. a band that no one ever heard of. the other band was soul coughing.

just kidding. soul coughing's old singer wasn't a drug addict as far as i know. actually i never had anything to do with soul coughing other than buying their albums, but i thought it made the story cooler.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by cornbread:

Dude, you had me going for a second. I was about to drive to NY and bitch slap the hell out of you. Of course, all you would have to do is put a beer in front of me and all would be forgiven. Hell, probably by the time I hit Tennessee I would have forgotten why I was heading to NY.

actually i would've smacked the hell outta me too.

in reality i did meet this one cat... he was a guitar player who came into the pro shop where i worked to buy a pair of skates. we got talking about music and bands and he revealed to me that he had quit a band that in retrospect he shouldn't have quit, but they were going nowhere and fighting amongst themselves constantly. i asked him what band and he muttered something like "zokofn." i looked at him oddly and he finally came out with "soul coughing."

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived