Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bart: chucking some pounds and on the move

g.

Looks like Bartolini is back in the running in my Carvin "test bench". They finally have something up on their website indicating that rumors I heard a year ago are true: Classic Bass (CB) Series .

I felt their previous side-by-side dual-coil J pickups that were available aftermarket were nice-sounding but a bit lacking in detail, and for passive use a little too low in output to really drive a tube the way I like.

The blurb here sounds more like what I've been hearing as pre-installed on more recent boutique basses - still with the lows and lower mids, but this time maybe with a more extended and organic top end that might go over better when used passively (which is where my Carvin spends at least half its hours).

Hey, and they seem to be in the process of cleaning out their catalog too; for one I could never locate any of those quad/quint coils for J, call around as I might ; }

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that on their site, too. I'm intrigued by the CB series as well. And, it does indeed look like they're streamlining their catalog a little as well -- probably a good thing, but inevitably they may stop producing some product that someone was really, really diggin'.

However, for now, I think I'm sticking with my plan to insert some DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups in my Carvin sometime in the next 6 months or so.

For the rest of you, check out GB's link to Bart above. Have fun.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sweet_Willy, if your Carvin is a five string and not the BB series, the Ultra Jazz is horrible in the neck position because of string spacing issues. In fact, you have to order the NECK version to use it at the bridge.

It's a 4-string LB-70. I would need to order two bridge pickups, one for the bridge position and the other for the neck position. I haven't yet checked into string-spacing issues for that "bridge pup in the neck position" mod.

If I remember correctly, you put an Ultra Jazz at the bridge and a Bill Lawrence custom at the neck in your Carvin 5-string?

spreadluv

Originally posted by greenboy:

Sweet_Willy, if your Carvin is a five string and not the BB series, the Ultra Jazz is horrible in the neck position because of string spacing issues. In fact, you have to order the NECK version to use it at the bridge.

Did I read your post correctly -- you had to order a DiM. Ultra Jazz 5 neck pickup to put in the bridge position? Did you initially order two UJ5 neck pickups to swap into the neck and bridge positions of your Carvin 5, and then get a Bill L. replacement for the neck position?

I think that I'm probably OK w/ two UJ bridge pups for my LB-70.

spreadluv

Sweet Willie: Did I read your post correctly -- you had to order a DiM. Ultra Jazz 5 neck pickup to put in the bridge position?
Correct. That was to get a decent match in pole-piece spacing. See more (Seymour) below.

Did you initially order two UJ5 neck pickups to swap into the neck and bridge positions of your Carvin 5?
No. I already had checked into the DiMarzio dimensions and pole-spacing and realized it was probably not going to do that well in the neck position, so I only ordered ONE. I did have it in the neck position a couple times just to see, and to compare tonalities with the H50N and later the BL J-45. No loss though, I actually like the J-45 better at the neck.

I think that I'm probably OK w/ two UJ bridge pups for my LB-70.
Dunno for 4-strings. But for 5-strings the bridge and neck outer dimensions are identical - just like Carvin's and most other company's - the only difference being the pole-piece spacing/alignment.

Sorry Sweet Willie,

I was gone, practicing for some on-the-spot gigs I snagged and then going out and doing them.

Anyway, the Ultra Jazz [4] bridge pup will fit in to your LB70 with maybe a little X-acto knife scraping of the paint in the p'up cavity at the most if you want full tilt/slant adjustment available. Didn't have to do even that for the Lawrence J-45.

Using the Ultra Jazz bridge p'up in the neck p/up cavity might not have the best match for spacing with the pole-piece groupings though. In that case, get a Lawrence J-45; it uses nine evenly spaced pole-pieces that seem to have pretty good string balance regardless of string spacing. I think the Carvin H50N is probably using blades like the current-gen [and past] Barts have. I would also consider their product for noisless tone. I hope someday Kinman enters this market!

The Rio Grande J pickups are not noiseless, it's just conventional single-coil design. Lots of different windings for single coil are available from lots of manufacturers, some are higher output, some are lower and usually as a result have wider freq response. But they will all be noisy in the same circumstances regardless of manufacturer claims. Good shielding and cavity work minimize this but it's always there. Often the head's noise will cover it up when not standing too close in the wrong direction. In any good studio its usually a non-issue because it can be handled by masking or outboard gear anyway. But with some types of effects use single coil on bass tends to not have the clarity it would otherwise...

In single coils I'd say I prefer lower-to-mid output classic winds, as long as the head I'm using has decent pre- and post-gain control to properly drive tube circuitry to varying tonalities, and good enough EQ to get a desired tonality without having to use much of it. Hotter winds just seem to be too clanky down in the freqs I want to hear. But since I ran away from single coils as fast as designers would allow, it's kind of a non-issue to me, anyway.

I don't want to have to blend both pickups equally just to enjoy the lack of noise.

GB,

Thanks for the feedback. No worries about the time lag. :D:thu:

Yeah, I did some more research about the Rio Grande J's and figured out that they were pretty much all single coils, and I'd prefer to go the noiseless route. I'm going to try to get more info from Bill L. about his stuff and poke around to learn about some other manufacturers (it seems like Barts are pretty solid products, but I'd have to review their different models -- I am curious about the CB series as I mentioned above).

I'll keep you posted. I tend to be a (over-)cautious purchaser and collect a lot of information prior to buying/modifying -- I handle the delayed gratification thing pretty well, and it gives me time to accumulate capital! Not that $100 or so for new pups is a huge expense, but since I share the ducats with my lovely wife I have to tread carefully.

Thanks again,

--sweets

spreadluv

Archived