Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

went to see Les Claypool last night

Jay J.

last night I went to see les claypool w/ the flying frog brigade. I had never really been into his particular style of music, but just wanted to see him because he is such a good bass player, but I must say that after the show I was inspired to buy the CD, and now I dig his stuff. but anyhow it was a awesome show they played for over 2 hours with is uncommon for smaller club shows these days. it was a real treat to see so if you get the chance to go see les I suggest that you do, you will be glad you did.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time i try to play some of his fingertapping i end up looking like a damn fool.

Ive been hoping to catch him in action somewhere, but he hasnt come around the bayou land since i picked up my bass.

I hear there is a pretty good video out? of course i might be confused, and none of the music shops in my area seem to consider equipment for bass players worth carrying.

---------

findley-----)young lust poster child

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

I really enjoyed seeing Skerik playing tenor through echoplex and stuff when he was with SadHappy. Is he still using effects with Frog Brigade?

I really have been doing lots of tapping mixed with left hand stuff lately on the fretless Five - along with slides (great substitute for dive-bombs) and slow-slide hammer-ons/offs with a shreddy distortion patch it can sound remarkably like a metal guitarist with a whammy bar - only with meat ; }

Yeah greenboy, Skerik still plays his sax through alot of effects with the frog brigade, however i beleive he generally plays an alto with them(as apposed to tenor).

I have seen claypool live several times(primus, oysterhead, and frogs 3 times) and i have noticed that unless he is with primus playing some old stuff, he rarely if ever does any tapping any more. Also, primus's home video is called videoplasty, highly recomended.

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

Does he ever bow that NSDesign 5 string live? I read something about him doing that for the Purple Onion album, but I don't know what he does live... :cool:

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Hey, Listeners of Les,

So in your estimation Les has moved into something rather different than Primus, which is already abundant here? Being a fan of Skerik as well (his old mate Paul Hinklin of SadHappy is also an awesome bassman!), I already have "get a Frog Brigade album" on my shortlist. But if it is sufficiently different in bass approach from Primus, this could move it up the line considerably.

And which set is the one to have (still only two, right?) if I only have one, and why?

Oysterhead. :love:

I repeat. Oysterhead! :love:

Im not a huge fan of the Flying Frog Brigade either (though I def dig his playing)but for Les that I LOVE...check out the band Oysterhead. :thu::thu:

Les on Bass

Try Anastasio (Phish) on guitar

Stuart Coppland (Police) on drums.

Awsome stuff!

"The army's all on ecstasy, or so they say.. I read all about it in the U.S.A. today!"

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Idnarb, Öysterhead {;} had occurred to me as well for Copland's drums. I'd kind of miss Skerik, but I guess I can check out one of the projects he's been in on since SadHappy for that, and maybe get to hear another cool bassist.

Oysterhead actually has the advantage of more group writing too, versus more of Les's (!) infatuation with Pink Floyd.

Thanks for putting in a lateral vote - though I probably don't think Stewart is dreamy or anything ; }

I'd definately get Oysterhead before any FFB album, although the next on my list would be Purple Onion. That is, of course, assuming that you already have Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus.
~Shivall

Shivall my man,

OK, I'll bite: what specifically makes Purple Onion the next stop? Yeah, got a fair amount of Primus including Sailing Cheese - pretty much have heard the Les Schtick ever since it got rolling - this was big on KCMU in the late 80s and early 90s.

Well, here goes.

My vote would go to Live frogs set one. It has a variety of songs from les's solo Cd as well as songs from Sausage(both other members of sausage were in the frog brigade when they recorded it.) It also has a pink floyd cover and a cover of a song called Thela hun ginjeet. All in all i find that the frog brigade and oysterhead are both bands meant to be heard live, so thats why i would go with live frogs set one.

But if you're hell bent on Oysterhead(which of coarse i also endorse fully) i would consider listening to a good bootleg as well as the studio album, suprisingly Copeland really shines in such an improvisational setting.

I wouldn't really be dissappointed at all if primus never got back together, because what he's been up to has(in my opinion) been much more interesting.

Also, look out for a colonel claypools bucket of bernie brains CD to be released soon. It's a purely improvisational band(literally no planned structure whatsoever) with claypool, bernie worrell on keyboard, buckethead, and brain. There's some live audio of them at nugs.net

Well GB, I've not heard anything by FFB other than Purple Onion, so I wont reccomend it...Onion is the next thing on my purchase list (Well...After Vapor Trail.). I can't comment on it very much because I've only heard the full thing once. The one time I did hear it I loved it even though it's no OHead.
~Shivall

Thanks, folk,

There's so much music out there that once I have some work representative of an artist, I either wish to hear that artist in a different context and going into a new phase, or I look to discover the work of others. It's good to get some info what makes the music different, or what is new and improved {;} or whatever... and not just IT RAWKS.

I could read the reviews at AMG, but frankly, when it is rock or pop oriented the reviewers tend to talk more about the sales an album has enjoyed or which public figures have just entered drug rehab, than it is to talk about the music itself ; }

Oysterhead actually allows taping, so copies of their shows are readily availbe on the web, try etree.org. Ive got a couple of live Oysterhead shows (saw them at Irving plaza too) id offer copies but I dont have a burner :(

Gotta love bands who allow taping.

Spreak the music, spread the love :)

"Id rather be a fireman than paint..."

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

Another person on my wish list to see live. I have tons of his CDs and now just ordered Videoplasty (thanks for the tip btw). My favorite cd of his was not mentioned and I am kinda supprised. L.C.& the Holy Mackeral has to be one of his best. But I really dont think that he has ever put out a sub-par recording.

Iaian.

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

Hey Iaian, i am a big fan of les claypool and the holy mackeral. However, live frogs set 1 has some live renditions of a few songs off of it. but yeah, i like that one alot too. To me that disc shows the stylistic shift he wanted to make away from his old primus sound, and like i said before, i love all his new stuff he's been up to.

Archived