Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass players are the quiet, passive ones...

wraub

I can't help but notice the other forums, particularly Anderton's SSS forum, seem to approach other themes that this one does not.

Politics, conspiracy theories, marijuana legalisation (possibly a political conspiracy theory in itself ;) ), the quality of modern music, and boobs are among a few of the topics the others broach. And, music stuff sometimes, too. Even Halloween specific avatars. Others just act more interested in other things, not that the bass isn't the end all, but...

So, my question...

Are we really the quiet guys (and girls), taciturn and docile, just playing the grooves, keeping it all together, but not getting involved much? Are we just all too focussed on "the bass thing" to comment much on the outside world? That seems to be the popular bass player stereotype, along with the overplaying guitarist, the drummer who's always late, and the preening lead singer. And we all know those aren't true...

Just wonderin...

Peace,

wraub

(stirring the pot)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wraub:

I can't help but notice the other forums, particularly Anderton's SSS forum, seem to approach other themes that this one does not.

Politics, conspiracy theories, marijuana legalisation (possibly a political conspiracy theory in itself ;) ), the quality of modern music, and boobs are among a few of the topics the others broach. And, music stuff sometimes, too. Even Halloween specific avatars. Others just act more interested in other things, not that the bass isn't the end all, but...

So, my question...

Are we really the quiet guys (and girls), taciturn and docile, just playing the grooves, keeping it all together, but not getting involved much? Are we just all too focussed on "the bass thing" to comment much on the outside world? That seems to be the popular bass player stereotype, along with the overplaying guitarist, the drummer who's always late, and the preening lead singer. And we all know those aren't true...

Just wonderin...

Peace,

wraub

(stirring the pot)

Yep, just playing the grooves, keeping it all together, keeping the posts on-topic :D I've been watching CNN as much as the next person trying to keep up to date on the sniper case and the hostage situation in Russia but when I log into the musicplayer forums I head straight for the lowdown. Something about the tone here, more talk about music less talk about tubes or topics that are off in the weeds... or about weed. FWIW...

Oh, one more thing... about conspiracy theories. I've got one. Why is it that whenever I hit the back button after reading a thread I get transported to a snapshot of the board from like one or two days ago and I always have to hit refresh to view the most recent posts. I've tried clearing caches and history etc. but the only thing I've found that fixes the problem (temporarily) is to make a new post.

I think this is just a conspiracy to get us to post more... :rolleyes:

Dogger, that's part of what I'm getting at. Should this be a purely music related forum, or not, and why? And is this indicative of a mindset among bass players? "Just the music, man, that's all I need."

I think the more input you have from which to draw influences and ideas, even if not purely musical, the more they can lead you to expressing yourself in new ways. And as we choose to express ourselves musically, perhaps we could (should?) tackle other, thought provoking topics. Or just utter random nonsense, for that matter.

Again, just curious.

Thanks for readin'.

Peace,

wraub

i for one wouldn't mind a few more threads about boobs and weed. preferably mingled.

but it is nice to have a forum to air out our opinions about the murky depths we alone are talented enough to plumb. most people don't give us much credit as we are often not in the spotlight. we stand back there and keep everything together while the guitar player makes silly faces and the sound man is more interested in the drummer and the singer gets the women.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

well, i think we do a good job keeping it on music. there are other forums for boobs and weed. although not enough. there can never be enough forums about boobs and weed. maybe i should start a dedicated one. "the bastids boobs and weed board." a public blog of sorts. who's with me?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Yo, E, ya know I'm down with that, but that's only part of where I was headed. I, of course, love to talk about basses and music as much as the next guy, but I think of myself (perhaps wrongly :) )as more rounded then that.

I am sure, based on respective posts, that we as a group are a fairly informed and intelligent bunch, and we all have a diverse lot of influences, opinions, and general BS that are not music related, per se, but may inform the playing, artistic, or musical decisions of another.

The architecture of Gaudi, the poetry of Neruda, the current state of America, for instance, and ones opinion, or even knowledge of them, might inform someone else's outlook. My query was intended only to posit that to the Lowdown masses, and gauge the response...

Peace,

wraub

(and consider this my subscription to your blog...)

Originally posted by Bastid E:

well, i think we do a good job keeping it on music. there are other forums for boobs and weed. although not enough. there can never be enough forums about boobs and weed. maybe i should start a dedicated one. "the bastids boobs and weed board." a public blog of sorts. who's with me?

Don't forget the tubes! This thread has gone south in a hurry... like what you'd see on SSS. All we need is a post by PinwheelWeedwus. Hey! just realized I haven't picked up the bass today... gotta go. bye.

Yeah, dogger, I noticed that, but my questions still depend...

Are we as dull as that? And is this forum purely a music thing or are other leads to discourse possible?

Still just curious...

Peace,

wraub

i don't think this thread has gone south, i think i was expressing my opinion on the subject. i think it's good to have a bass SPECIFIC board for us all. how many other bass players do we get to talk to in the course of the day? i can only think of one other bass player away from the board that i speak to on a daily basis, that being wraub. on the other hand there are 3 architects, countless filmakers, actors, advertisers, bankers, you name it. it's nice to come here and not have to give my discourse on titus andronicus (warning: do NOT read on hallucinogens!)

the fact that this is a bass specific forum is what draws us to it. the ability to discuss things we wouldn't normally discuss anywhere else. i don't think threads on boobs and weed are necessarily out of place and unwelcome here, and i certainly would dive into such a thread with a smile (a very crooked, bloodshot smile at that). i just don't think it occurs to any of us to start those threads too often as we get our non-bass intellectual rocks off in other venues.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Fair words indeed from the Bastid, and true enough. So, is that it? Bass specific as an outlet, but not a place to rap with (possibly) like minds on other ideas? And is that all we need or want?

Again, still just curious...

Peace,

wraub

And that goes back to my original point...Is it possible that it doesn't occur to us because we are the dull ones they say we are? Or is it because we are so much more musical than them..?

Again, still just curious still.

Peace,

wraub

This is really my escape from the "Real" world and CNN. This forum allows me to concentrate on what I like. Not saying I don't like the boobs! I don't like being bombarded by the same bad news everyday. When I want to hear that, I turn on the news. When I get tired of hearing about how truly screwed up the world is, I turn off the news and concentrate on the music. Music has always been an escape for me and, if music becomes intertwined with the bad news, it's no longer the escape I need. But, then again, that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by wraub:

And that goes back to my original point...Is it possible that it doesn't occur to us because we are the dull ones they say we are? Or is it because we are so much more musical than them..?

Again, still just curious still.

Peace,

wraub

I'm back. Leo Fender was a genius. I Love my Jazz.

10-25-02 6:57AM - what is so special about this date that this board keeps returning me there for...

oh, you're original point...

There are lots of people we can discuss alternative topics with. But who can I tell that I'm so jazzed that I did my first electric bass setup truss rod and all. Or what a rush it is to transfer Wes Montgomery lines to bass, or how cool (more) bass gear is... mmm... gear... the lowdown crew that's who.

Actually, in all seriousness, I don't mind reading about how music intertwines with peoples life experiences or events - DBBs posts come to mind as does a column somewhere written by Will Lee describing his post 9-11 peformances.

I guess my answer is I think I communicate better through music than words. Not saying I'm more musical than anyone or anything...

Off to toastmasters!

I am a fairly political person, but I've never thought of posting any of my views on here just because I think of it as a somewhat professional forum where political/religious/whatever ideology is checked at the door. For me it's all about the bass. That's just my opinion though.

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

Good question Wraub ! I don't think we're dull at all. We're on a bass players forum, this covers all angles of our BASSlife. Tone, gear, performing

announcements, gripes etc, etc. Personally I like the singlemindedness of the posts. If I want something less specific I go and browse in S.S.S

Horses for courses and all that.

CupMcMali. This monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Wraub.....its an interesting question. I don't believe its because we're "dull" or don't care. For me, it seems that politics, bashing the DEA's ignorant marijuana policies,(oops....no I won't get started on that..) or "Boobs" don't fit here.

E.....when you set up the "weed & boobs" site, I'll be there bro.....hmmm..those two items go together well don't they?

Back to Wraubs question tho....

There are lots of forums on the web that are dedicated to such topics but this is the only place I've found where I can seriously discuss bass topics with other bassists, and learn from them. We are a different breed of musician, probably misunderstood by many. As a bassist, you have to be comfortable not being in the spotlight and not getting the recognition thet is given to singers, guitarists, drummers and keyboardists. Even though what we do is essential, bass is very seldom given the credit it deserves. But I'm fine with that. Maybe thats why this forum is the way it is..... we can talk about bass stuff thats important to us than no one else can really understand.

Weed and boobs.....you go E......love it.

Rock on.... :cool:

I definitely think there is such a thing as a "bass" personality. This topic was discussed in March, and is probably worth revisting: http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001533 Bump it up.

I also think that there is value in discussing things in this board as they relate to music. This was the theme of this thread: http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003015#000015

I think that bassists are, by and large, just like the rest of society, conservative and liberal, male and female, smart and dumb, rigid and free-thinking. Our opinions are valid; in fact, possibly they should be useful. Bassist personality is introspective; we think deeply about things.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

DRAG A BUNCHA F***ING POLITICS AND RELIGION AND BABBLE IN HERE LIKE SSS AND I WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS A MUSIC FORUM. POLITICAL FORUMS ARE TO YOUR LEFT AND RIGHT. FOLLOW THE YELLOW RUBBER LINE -

When I want to read or talk about that crap I head for forums made for that, or I pick up a newspaper. Just as these forums are made for music. As far as I'm concerned there are too many peeps on SSS who are bilking their employers (the word beat-off comes to mind) and I really don't care what they think about anything. Except for the poor ones that actually attempt to really talk about music, I mean. Clever without wise means little in my estimation.

And hey, while your feelings about the many other events that take place in the world may inform your music somehow, I really don't need to know that to understand the music.

But if some of you think you need to air your great enlightened viewpoints or think you posting on the internet can solve all the problems of the world - or you just think you come off looking smarter when you talk about topics other than music - head on over to SSS and litter it to your heart's content.

Or actually find some viable forums for this(they are all over the internet). But don't talk about bass or music on them. They'll just tell you to find the appropriate venue.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     no wonder the world is f'd up. people are too stoopid to put the right things in the right places

...What I meant to say was that if you start talkin' TRASH around these parts I will hunt you down and personally share my views on Gun Control with you ; }

When I opened this topic I thought I was going to read about band-oriented bassists who never become bandleaders or composers and just stand in the back wondering who will hire them next ; }

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     i'll show you Wild West!

wraub,

out illustrious, prolific, excitable boy has answered the question.

1. The freakout level could go through the roof (as he mockingly demonstrated) !!!

2. Like gb said, "everything in its place"

There are people here that do not want to talk about that OT stuff. Sure, you can decide to skip those threads, but it does tend to become difficult. Many on SSS would prefer more directed topics.

Our founder (I'm genuflecting, Ed) kept this board with a certain flavor. Without discussing it with my brother wizards (Bob and Wally), I feel safe saying that we like it this way.

There is another aspect of this discussion to be considered. I feel close and comfortable with people here on the board as we get to know each other. If I wanted to discuss something else, you are that I would talk to. Since SSS already talks about so many OT topics, we could meet there. That way, I can see you there and be familiar with you, but not add OT stuff here. I'm not suggesting we should go there and wreck that board (I'm thinking of Idnarb the pirate swinging on a rope in a boarding operation). But they are OK with those topics (I think it's the really goofy stuff that some object to).

We are an active board. I fear that adding OT stuff would make this place too busy - people would have a hard time keeping up.

No wraub, we're not boring (well, some of us may be, but most of you are not). We just stick to the business at hand with a considerateness that speaks our goal to share and help. Those values may not get you on MTV, but they count high in my book.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Or, you could: post a thread, see if it bobbles at the top or sinks like a stone. If you want to talk about the Chechen rebellion, it hurts no-one to start a thread...maybe someone can relate it to bass.

However, label it correctly. No-one wants to open a thread that's labeled "Cool new Bass..." and find the first post be "...was destroyed in a Russian theater today."

Actually, I enjoy hearing about the opinions from those I've met on this board...

What I don't like is a lot of sex talk and profanity. That's what made me leave the last forum I posted on regularily. I don't mind sex or profanity, but when the shock value takes the place of a point, I'm outta there.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

The CONS: It's not only the really masturbatory topics on SSS that overflow like a bad toilet. The fact that enough people there are so bored with music itself that they will run a NON_MUSIC topic into many pages while not even answering musical queries meaningfully or with focus - or if a few of the more conscientious ones do - the crapulence just buries the music stuff all too often.

The PROS: Talking about things other than that which directly relates to music allows people who don't really have the authority to talk meaningfully about music or don't care to ask questions about it, to appear entlightened, worldly, politically aware. And you don't have to read another What Is The Absolutely Best Amp In The World For Everything? thread ; }

Personally the main reason I read/post (occasionally) on this forum rather than any other forum is because of the fact that it's fairly focused...I don't mind OT postings on forums at all...Unfortunately a lot of forums I used to post in started with a few OT posts and then began attracting a crowd of people who didn't even play bass, or program etc... and eventually the old regulars got frustrated and the whole thing would go in the shitter...Just my opinion, anyways.
~Shivall

I think everyone who posts here can talk about Boobs, Tubes, Weed, and Politics, but we choose not to, because we can do that everywhere else. Why drag that B.S. into our cozy little community of Bass bretheren. Evil will always win, because Good is dumb. :P

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

I also think we are the smarter ones because we are the quiet, passive ones. We sit back and envelope all the worldly topics, all the arguments on each side of the debate, form our opinions, and, then if we deem it necessary, divulge our points. I can sit here all day and type what I feel about the state of the world and you may disagree with me, but, I seriously doubt your rebuttal would have any effect on my stance. I see all of you as my counterparts in the world, my contemporaries. I come to this forum to expand my knowledge on bass and to inject a little humor in my daily life. I feel like I know most of you personally and I respect all of your input, otherwise I'd just skip this place. I also like how we respect the overall environment of this forum. It's about bass. If this forum were "Bass and other stuff in the world" I would expect to find the myriad of topics that are on SSS, which is why I avoid SSS. Besides, most of the posts have few or no arguments backing up their stances on the topic. If there are no legitimate arguments, it becomes futile. Granted, many of us on this forum agree on most of the points, but we all have differing viewpoints on it and can shed some more light on the subject. I love learning and I have learned an inordinate amount here, some of which can apply to many other aspects of my life. So, in a way, the L D LD does contain threads and posts that bear meaning on life, just related to the bass.

I tend to agree with others, that I wander in and out of this forum for a specific thing - although I feel like I've thrown my share of OT posts out there now and again. Part of the reason I don't feel a need to range widely here is that SSS is SuperWide. And generally after about a half hour there, I realize that no one there really listens to anyone else ... and then I get bored and come back here.

My feeling is, wraub - if you've got something to say, say it. I get a chuckle from all the anticipatory throat clearing you're doing though - perhaps THIS is the essence of bass player persona ... sticking to function, and then before "soloing," seeking to be tasteful with any riffing ...

I prefer to believe it IS something about our personalities that keeps this forum narrow than something that's being "enforced" from by some potentate - Dr. Tom or otherwise.

Archived