Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The next step in bass speaker technology

alexclaber

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Alex,

Haven't looked real hard yet, but the pic on one of the products pages suggests that what they are doing is building isobaric drivers as one unit, versus the standard isobaric practice of coupling two regular drivers via tunnel or directly bolting together. That should shave a few pounds, maybe gain some percent in efficiency and accuracy. The name "CoDrive" also suggests this.

This could be pretty heavy stuff for a bass guitarist. That 4xwhatever would weigh almost as much as a 8xwhatever using standard single drivers. But for home subs this would be great, and for many installations and SR, because isobaric can put a lot of bass into cabs half the normal size provided lots of wattage is available.

I'll say more after reading some hard specs and stuff : }

I guess the driver specs are still not frozen; still in prototype. But the great diagrams and the textbook description leads me to believe there is some real potential here. As I suspected this is basically one of the models of isobaric, but he has some real nice innovations that could be done only in a one-unit driver, and not with two separate drivers mechanically coupled as has been done before.

He mentions a 12" driver, which for bassists would translate into roughly about two drivers worth of SPL in just over one half the size of cab one would normally use. This would require two drivers worth of wattage, but wow - what a subwoofer package it would make for a small footprint biamp system for extended freq use on loud stages!

Hope it doesn't end up being too spendy. I can see this guy is for real on the tech side.

Forgot to mention: looks like the prototyping has been using some EV components which in itself is promising. Also I am seeing neodymium magnets, which along with the dual-in-one construction should comprise some real intense weight shaving.

Thanks for the link, in case you didn't get that I was enthused about the possibilities, Alex ; }

Great link! I love "alternative" speaker design

even more than alternative music - This guy has

solid theory and a really promising idea...

Would be a hoot if JBL and EV end up licensing

from HIM. :D

Reminds me, what ever happened to all that

"servo motor" low frequency driver stuff

from a few years ago?

if it ain't broke don't fix it...

unless you need the overtime.

I've posted links and discussion of servo here a couple different times. I haven't checked to see if any touring companies are using it lately, but it seems to be used in large fixed installations.

I beta tested this tech maybe 10-12 years ago. It is really really good at subteranean freq. Calling elephants for 5 miles and beyond was where it came from.

Archived