Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How can I get my bass to sound like a Hammond B 3 bass pedal?

57pbass

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way I can think of, albeit very expensive for just one sound, is to look into one of those MIDI pickups (I know Roland makes a good one) and use a rackmount or pedal MIDI synth. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find Hammond B3 patch.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

1) Get a V-bass.

2) I heard Todd Johnson play, he's got a Yamaha bass with the Yamaha midi pickup on it and he can do the Hammond thing, not just the bass, but the whole thing. Unreal. Check him out at:

Todd\'s Web Page

3) Or you could go the Charlie Hunter route and play through a Leslie speaker.

4) Buy Moog Taurus Pedals. Available on Ebay.

Click here for auction

It works for Geddy.

Heh, it was you. This was an easy search because the only other hammond message I ever made was about impressario John Hammond.

Hammond B 3 bass sound

I guess I'd add that 1) many bass cabs don't exactly have a default sound that places the emphasis in the right places. It's bad enough that a bass guitar has a different envelope than the organ.

Which is a clue for me to talk about envelope filters. Depending on model, if you set the sensitivity to about 0 so that the filter is static instead of changing with the bass's envelope, set the filer type to low pass, and tweak adjust the shelf/frequency and the resonance to various places, there are some organ-like qualities to be found.

Organ tones are relatively not complex as regards overtones, so EQ in the mids and uppers can get you a little closer (partly what a static filer would do anyway). Also, a subharmonic octaver, or a pitch shiter set an octave below can help.

Add all that to what was in the earlier thread : }

I realize now that what you need is some sort of rotary sound device, and my old EB3. It's not too busy these days (I kan't stop playing my Kinal). That Gibson humbucker has it!!

Mostly I'm kidding, but it does a great organ pedal sound in a small, sound-deadened room. In a big place, it's just mud....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, that short scale is largely why it would work. Less percussive transient, less overtones above the first few because of the lesser tension/pitch ratio. And humbuckers are a little rounded on transients as well.

The humbucker could sound less muddy WITH A REALLY NIFTY QUALITY AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT {;} and still maintain the essential goodness of the humbucker and short-scale tendencies.

Largely why I like the fan-fretted approach by the way: not just for a B (or lower) that has clearer focus and bootay, but also for the sweeter G (and higher) sounds a short scale has.

Archived