Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An open letter

Brakka

Bassists are treated unfairly by physics.

Bass instruments make big long sound waves. To recreate these long waves, we need large speakers and powerful amplifiers. These are heavy. Sometimes my back hurts.

I have read volumes of information relating to smaller drivers & lighter amps, but I think people need to work harder & faster towards a clear goal: a combo amp that fits in my gig bag and is loud enough for any possible situation.

Hopefully this letter will attract the attention of someone who will hurry up and invent this.

Sorry, just messing with ya, XP :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A combo amp in a gig bag...hmmmm....maybe one of those bazooka tube things the hip hop guys use.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Brakka, I'm with you, man!

Speakers with cardboard voice coils and paper cones, indeed! When was that technology invented, 1925?

It's time for speakers which look like window shades...you carry them in under your arm, hang them on the wall, unroll them, and ROCK OUT!

Or how about something that looks like the portable transporter field generators used on Star Trek-The Next Generation ? Little generators that we scatter around the room so that we can blast our audience into another dimension!

Where have all the physicists gone? (Long time passing)

I suggested this to music-man in another thread -

http://www.gatorcases.com/sections/04-prdct/02-guitar/Combo-Amp.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.gatorcases.com/sections/04-prdct/04_prdct-02amp.htm

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

If I know that the venue has a decent PA (there are a couple in this town), I can carry my amp in my guitar case. It's called a DI box :D Back when I was wheels-less, it was the only option most of the time, besides being a lot easier on my back.

But seriously, just be glad you're not a drummer. Aside from having to lose half your IQ, you would also have to haul a lot more gear.

-Matt M

You mean drummers are that smart?!?!

[serious mode turned on]

I had the big rig and loved it, as long as I didn't have to move it. Wheel carts and casters help, but when you have to go up stairs, carrying is the best, especially when you have tubes and such. My back took all the abuse it could before it called a timeout. During said timeout, I scaled down. I sold the big stuff and bought my widly known Redhead. I call it "a stack in a box" because of it's power and sound. It has a nice di out that can be pre or post and that single rack space is screaming for one of those Ashdown John Entwhistle preamps. It's still heavy, but I can move my gear myself and only need 1 trip when I strap may bass to my back.

Tom, thanks for that link I would have never found out about them otherwise. I think I may just have to buy one of those.

Iaian

San Andreas,

The hope to save our nation by turning Las Vegas into a seaside community. ;)

Alex,

I have a handtruck like that (probably the short-plate model). Light and easy to carry. The downside is that the handle isn't curved back, so when you stack above the handle (which is every time), it's harder to work the thing.

I didn't have the cash for a rocknroller (see the DAddario.com site). If I had a big van or trjuck, I'd get a regular handtruck with air-filled tires. I used one last year and it was great, except that it had to ride in the back seat!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

What do they know about music? They get paid to do the ads.

For a while, upright bass players were using Bose speakers. That fad seems to have ended.

For unrelated Rush Limbaugh trivia:

I was once playing a wedding at a very exclusive resort, which is hidden in the woods, has a gatehouse, has famous guests staying under pseudonyms. When we arrived, we were surprised to see security guards, but then we forgot about it.

We were sitting at the back during the interminable toasts, when I hear a familiar voice giving a toast. I stood up to see and there was Rush, who was the best man at this wedding, giving a toast. Oh, and he was so sincere, it brought tears to my eyes.

Fortunately he did not dance in front of me, in fact he didn't dance at all or listen to the band at all. He went outside and "held court" to a table of rapt listeners.

Quit yer whining.

If it doesn't hurt your back, you're not doing it right. Booyah.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Quit yer whining.

If it doesn't hurt your back, you're not doing it right. Booyah.

Git Some!! Git Some!! YEEAAHH!!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I like the window shade idea. I have seen very flat and light speakers for home audio. Why can't they do that for us. Or for that matter, PA cabs.

Imagine how great that would be. Just put up something like the old move screen we used to watch the 8mm home movies on. Plug in and bam - subs, mids, and highs from a screen.

That would be cool.........

the reason we are at a disadvantage is that bass sounds like dookie when played through too much overdrive, so we need lots of headroom. if you check around you will actually find threads along the lines of "is 1200w enough power?" well, of course it is. 400w is enough power, even for an arena (provided there's a p.a.). considering everything we need to be heard over in a live setting: drummers who play like they've got skins made out of pol pot, g****r players who think they can't get their sound unless the 150w amp is gained out AND cranked, and you need to get your sound WITHOUT overdriving.

someone (i think greenboy mayhaps?) was mentioning a power amp that was super light, took up 1 (one) rack space and kicked out 1200w (yess, 1200, no fat finger on the 0) of clean, stoul softening power. so someone is listening.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Steve C, are you talking about ribbon speakers, like the MagnaPlanar or similar? Definitely flat and sleek, not too sure about weight and sound quality for bass. I think it has something to do with power to driver vs. dynamic range of ribbon drivers vs. cost vs. weight, but then, what doesn't?

And Bastid, I also think it was the Green one with that power amp you mentioned.

Garcon du vert? Any thoughts (besides how excrable is my French)?

Peace,

wraub

The single rackspace power amp GB referred to in the past is the Peavey DPC-1400X:

1400W into 4 ohms bridged.

700W per channel @ 2 ohms.

500W per channel @ 4 ohms.

Weighs 14 pounds. :thu:

Remember also that there is the Stewart World 1.2 which is also a single rackspace:

1200W into 4 ohms bridged.

580W per channel @ 2 ohms.

420W per channel @ 4 ohms.

Weighs 11 pounds. :thu:

You could smack a 4-ohm Acme Low B2 on each channel and bring the house down. The Low B2s weigh in at around 50 lbs. each, a good 10-15 lbs. less than other 2x10 cabs. :cool:

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

And in this corner, in the "Classic tone, not quite as loud as that but still rockin" category-

The Ampeg B-15. Loud, nice tone, looks really cool, and not too bad to carry up and down NYC stairs and alleys, even wearing your bass. I know, not exactly in the 1000 watt class, but still a fair piece of kit...

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

The single rackspace power amp GB referred to in the past is the Peavey DPC-1400X:

1400W into 4 ohms bridged.

700W per channel @ 2 ohms.

500W per channel @ 4 ohms.

Weighs 14 pounds. :thu:

Remember also that there is the Stewart World 1.2 which is also a single rackspace:

1200W into 4 ohms bridged.

580W per channel @ 2 ohms.

420W per channel @ 4 ohms.

Weighs 11 pounds. :thu:

You could smack a 4-ohm Acme Low B2 on each channel and bring the house down. The Low B2s weigh in at around 50 lbs. each, a good 10-15 lbs. less than other 2x10 cabs. :cool:

Peace.

yes, but what is the price?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I don't see either one come up on eBay very often. In fact I've only seen the Stewart 1.6 on there a couple of times.

I don't know what Stewart Worlds run new. I think that the Peavey DPC-1400X is probably around 8 c-notes.

Not cheap.

I think that my dream rig (and I am so far from having the necessary capital to fund it!) would include a Kern preamp and one of those two power amps and 2 Acme Low B2s.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've got a Stewart World 1.2 and its works great w/ my SWR Gran Prix. Those specs listed earlier are a bit off - it only goes down to 4 ohms, so those wattages should be for 4 ohms and 8 ohms, not 2 and 4. I usually run it w/ an Aguilar GS 112 and SWR Goliath Jr III (2x10). I also have an Acoustic Image Clarus (Thanks BobG!), which can go down to 2 ohms, so if need be I add another Aggie GS112 and get 300 watts. The heaviest component of either of these rigs is the 2x10 at a bit over 40lbs. The Clarus weighs about 6 lbs and has a carrying bag that looks like a SLR camera case. Got the Stewart new off E-bay for about $520 IIRC and the Clarus for a bit more from Bob G. It really is amazing how much bass rigs have been shrunk in the past few years (if you're not addicted to Ampegs ;^)

Steve

OK, a couple of things.

Tom, I noticed that the handle doesn't curve back on that cart and I'll be stacking two 50lb Acme Low-B2s and a 70lb 6space rack on it (and possibly a 35lb pedalboard). Do you think it'll be strong enough for all that under dynamic loading and do you think it's possible to either bend the handle backwards for some hand clearance or attach other handles?

And those Bose stereos: I've heard the radios and all-in-one system and as an audiophile have never been so unimpressed. Yes, the frequency response is good but the automatic loudness compensation (bass boost at low volumes) sounds weird and they just don't sound very musical. Probably a lack of dynamics and midrange definition.

Alex

Originally posted by alexclaber:

Tom, I noticed that the handle doesn't curve back on that cart and I'll be stacking two 50lb Acme Low-B2s and a 70lb 6space rack on it (and possibly a 35lb pedalboard). Do you think it'll be strong enough for all that under dynamic loading and do you think it's possible to either bend the handle backwards for some hand clearance or attach other handles?

I doubt you can bend them. Seems possible to drill holes and attach a curved handle. This will hurt the feature that it folds flat now (like for your car). I'm considering this myself, but not sure yet....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Archived