Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me to choose my first bass

trator

Here´s a list of eletric basses I can aford. Please, choose at least three of them to help me.

Remember, I´m a guitar player (10 years) who owns a home studio and is tired of the GR 33 bass sound. I never played Bass in my life before, and need a bass with a nice sound to record and confortable to play (I´ll do it by myself!). Thank you and let´s go to them:

FENDER SQUIER PRECISION 990

FENDER SQUIER PRECISION 906

FENDER STD JAZZ BASS MEXICO 506

IBANEZ GSR100

IBANEZ GSR200

IBANEZ GSR205

SAMICK YB555A ATIVO 5C BK

SAMICK YB35A ATIVO TWR/MWR

SAMICK LB11C

SAMICK YB55539/YB5539 MWR/TWR/WA ATIVO 5C

SAMICK SDB5569 EL

SAMICK STB5569R ATIVO 4C STWR

TOBIAS TOBY DELUXE ATIVO VIOLIN BURST 4C VB

WASHBURN XB120 4C

YAMAHA BB350 4C

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The information you request is usually found by doing a search. I took a quick lok at recent threads, but we've somehow avoided this topic recently. Try looking at:

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002896

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002897

Two things to remember is that inexpensive instruments are not manufactured to stringent standards - you need to look carefully at each individual instrument. Also, many of the features/design points of an instrument are subjective. We have many here that would pick the Yamaha BB, but I'm not one of them.

Good luck with your search

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

If I HAD to pick from the list... these would be my 3 to check out in order...

1) FENDER STD JAZZ BASS MEXICO 506

2) TOBIAS TOBY DELUXE ATIVO VIOLIN BURST 4C VB

3) YAMAHA BB350 4C

If I were looking for myself, I'd look at used G&L's first 'cuz I just love 'em... and used ones are really cheap. :) But second choice would be MIM Fender Jazz.... Samicks do not appear on my list :D

(Note: I've never played a Yamaha but I've heard more good things about them than others on the list... this is why it made it to #3 for me.)

-Mike

...simply stating.

My choices would be:

Fender MIM Jazz

Yamaha BB350

Squire MB4 or MB5

As was mentioned earlier, make sure you examin each individual bass carefully as they will have their own quirks that you will have to live with.

Dan

There is a rip in the space-time continuim and it rings at B flat.

I'd also try to find used, perhaps a Pedulla?. If not, I'd choose:

1. Toby

2. Fender MIM (but probably not the other ones)

3. Yamaha

I'd avoid Samick, Washburns, Ibanez.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Okay, Okay.

I was just kiddin' about the Pedulla.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I want a pedulla... it was $2000 though. Ive never had a bass that I tried react to my playing... boyee I had GAS pains. Furthermore it was DEAD SILENT no hum no nothing... mmmmmmm

then I went back to reality and my MIM jazz fretless :( I think i got the lemon you tell newbies to avoid

Dave

But in regards to the thread

go to the store and play all the basses in your price range even if they are the same model/color etc. ALL OF THEM. pick the one that says "buy me" Your a guitar player so look for the things you would look for in a guitar

Dave

Quote:

FENDER SQUIER PRECISION 990

FENDER SQUIER PRECISION 906

FENDER STD JAZZ BASS MEXICO 506

IBANEZ GSR100

IBANEZ GSR200

IBANEZ GSR205

SAMICK YB555A ATIVO 5C BK

SAMICK YB35A ATIVO TWR/MWR

SAMICK LB11C

SAMICK YB55539/YB5539 MWR/TWR/WA ATIVO 5C

SAMICK SDB5569 EL

SAMICK STB5569R ATIVO 4C STWR

TOBIAS TOBY DELUXE ATIVO VIOLIN BURST 4C VB

WASHBURN XB120 4C

YAMAHA BB350 4C[/QB]

Um, I would go with Squier 990 and the Ibanez 205, good luck

JDL-peace

I'd go with the Jazz, too, like most of the posters. I think you can get some Mexican made P-j's too (Precisions with the Jazz pu on the bridge). I'm not sure about the Samicks, but I tried a five string of theirs recently, and the quality has improved. A little known fact: many of the inexpensive instruments sold under the Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, etc. are actually made in Samick's factories. You can expect them from instruments made in Korea, Indonesia, India, Taiwan, and several other countries in Asia. Fo you don't believe me, spend some time on Google, and you'll find quite a few pages on this matter. Really! :)

While I was at it, here's one to look over:

http://www.thefifthstring.com/html/guitars.html

Anyway, good luck.

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

[QB]If I HAD to pick from the list... these would be my 3 to check out in order...

1) FENDER STD JAZZ BASS MEXICO 506

2) TOBIAS TOBY DELUXE ATIVO VIOLIN BURST 4C VB

3) YAMAHA BB350 4C

Ditto.

I have a Toby D4, Natural. Good bass, I am very satisfied for the $$ invested in it. When I bought it I was in an anti-establishment mood (Fender being the preferred bass of the "establishment" was, therefore, not at all on my list.) I have humbly repented, and now there are several Fenders on my wish list.

- Matt W.

Get the MIM Fender Jazz or Percision. I've had a '75 American Jazz and I now have a new MIM Deluxe Active Jazz 5-string and they are on par in quality. I also have a Squire P/J bass and find that the tone of the Squire bass is thin compated to either of the Fender Jazz basses.

You can't go wrong with a Fender bass. It will feel good. It will sound right. And you will get respect where ever you go. :thu:

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

I know very little on the Fenders but I've owned a Yamaha and I thought it was a good bass for the money. Then again the world seems more than happy to worship at the church of Fender. Can that many people be wrong ?? :confused:

CupMcMali....this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Conversely, people are often sheeple. Look at the leaders they raise up to power just so they can blindly follow { ; in keeping with the apparent need for some didacticism ; }

Truth is, Fender is one company that has the clout to market in that price range without messing up on other fronts. I'd hardly say other companies can't build instruments of the same quality in the same price range however - heck, who do you think is building some of those "fenders"?

...No taste for Danelectros here? This is truly the age of homogenization ; }

Oh yeah, a good ole Dano Longhorn would be nice. Never heard one? Listen to the song " White Room" by Cream. Very nice and affordable. About $279 last time I checked.

Off your list, I don't even have to think about it: MIM Jazz. Got mine about a month ago and hot-rodded it up to look like a '62. Sunburst is really only the good color it comes in though.

Just wondering,but how come Fender can't make a MIM in plain,old-fashioned red? They have wine red sure,but that isn't that great looking. What is the deal that they can't make one in candy apple red?!

Sorry..... just wondering

You can never go wrong with a Fender.

Actually you can go wrong with a Fender ; } - That's why people who have actual experience say you'd better play the bass first, or order it from somewhere with a honest return policy. And maybe play quite a few so that you kind of learn what a range of variation there can be.

I don't have experience? :cry:

Haha, anyways, I know you can go wrong with a Fender. Especially with the standards. But it's my opinion that even a somewhat less-than-normal Fender is better that an Ibanez or Samick. There are just so little brand new basses about $300 that are good.

I was just steering him into the right direction. Of course you need to try something out before you get it,but he asked for opinions,and I gave him what I think was the best choice.

Over the years I've seen and heard some pretty good cheap Ibanez basses.

Again, this begs the question whose factories are building the cheapest Fenders during various periods. All in all, I don't see that big of a difference in quite a few of the basses in the lowest price ranges except for the name on the headstock.

Oddly enough, I had a friend who was not a bad bassist but primarily a guitarist, who bought a Squire P last year, and it really played and sounded as good as some of the higher-priced P basses I've seen. It had the schtuff.

• 2 years later...

Ok, let me bump this ancient thread up and answer a question which hasn't been valid for years anymore, as it seems to be a growing trend here lately.

So, trator, just go to the nearest music store and play every bass they have and buy the one you and your wallet like the most.

:P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

One thing that has changed since this thread was started is the Toby that Dave suggested. It's interesting to me that MusicYo/Gibson made a number of moves in the bass area and we didn't hear too much about it (either here or in BP magazine).

That inexpensive Toby isn't being made now, and Gibson is putting out "real" Tobias basses again. They cost quite a bit, and I don't know if they are really worth it. I've tried a few in stores and they are nice, but at that price point there are too many other choices.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by A herd of angry penguins:

Buy a Fender MIM Jazz. Then put a better bridge on it because the stock ones are crap sandwiches.

Do not get a Squier.

Do not get a Squier.

DO NOT GET A SQUIER.

I disagree. I have a couple students who have Squire P's and they sound nice. One replaced the bridge and put on some flats and it's a bass I wouldn't mind having.

Buy with your ears and hands, not your eyes. Some "cheap" basses sound just fine and some "good" basses sound and play like crap.

Archived