Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on switching from electric to acoustic? (hypo's idea)

JDL

I began playing electric and now, (about two years later), my orchestra that I'm in needs a bassist. Of course in orchestra, you have to use play an upright bass. I haven't played upright. I didn't lear how to read bass clef for those two years. Now, I am beginning to learn it. But i still need help. The parts, (ive learned in pracitce) are really easy, though. You may be saying to yourself, this guy doesn't need help. But so far, in the practices, I've only had to play an electric because the conductor hasn't fixed the upright, yet. Do you have any experience in this? Do you have any tips for me on switching to upright? Please. Share.

JDL-peace

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking about a High School Orchestra?

If so, the conductor should have lots of advice.

You need to practice bow technique a lot...cello players might be able to help you.

Go through the Simandl book...learn every exercise with a good bowed tone.

Somewhere this has been discussed before...yep...here it is:

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002883

This was your original thread...do you need more specific help than this...like how to fix the bass or something?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived