Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What keeps us from greatness?

HypnoBassMan

Sounds like we've got an entire treatise on the subject (you college kids are welcome to write this up). We've seen the "greatness" thing defined in many ways, and explained quite well. Hypnobassman has gotten the necessary inspiration as well as some though-provocation. Pretty cool.

For me especially, Willie's theory of relativity applies. Allow me to add my theory that bass players tend toward humility, and we're all relatively good players. It's relative to what we want and who we play with!!

"I'm a relatively good bass player" is something I can see many of us saying, whether we are in the formative stages or experienced pros.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

btw the way what does (sic) mean?

sic in parenthesis is used when making a quote where the original person made an error. It shows that the error was not made by the person passing the quote along.

For example, if I write

That boy cain't play McCartny at all

You would quote it by typing

That jerk said "That boy cain't (sic) play McCartny (sic) at all"

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks. It tells me when the weather is about to change, but it's pretty good. Occaisionally my kneecap will slip around to the inside of my knee and I have to push it back in place. If I have to keep climbing a lot, it really bothers me, especially if I'm carrying my gear. I'm ok with it now, but, when I have to see my backup playing in the Super Bowl, I get a little miffed, but I realize everything happens for a reason. Fate was telling me to stop playing football with all the sprains and broken hands and arms, but I refused to listen. Even played half a season with a broken arm. But, when the doctor told me I would walk for 6 mos to a year after surgery, but, with a little rehab, I'd only be down a few weeks, I chose the non-football route. The hardest part was giving up on the full ride to Florida State and asking my folks to foot the bill. The way I see it, I could have opted for the surgery and risked never walking again, or I could do what I did. I like walking.

Greatness.....

Sorry this is so longwinded, but this is a tough thread. I keep reading it and still wonder how to interpret the meaning of the title. Is it being a virtuoso on the bass? There are only so many people who will ever achieve that level of musicianship. Most of us, no matter how hard we try, no matter how much we practice, are never going to get to the point in our musicianship where we can be considered a virtuoso by our peers. Virtuosos aren't made, they're born. Granted it takes desire and dedication, but an unnaturally high level of talent has to be there to begin with.

Is it success in the music industry? A lot depends on what you are willing to do to be "successful". Are you willing to pull up stakes and move to somewhere that is a music epicenter? Are you willing to spend endless hours practicing scales and learning theory? Are you willing to learn and play music that you would never listen to for personal pleasure, and find the redeeming qualities in it? Can you take constructive criticism and learn from it? Can you go into the studio and lay down the "in the pocket, no surprises" groove with the "Fender studio standard" tone and not bitch about it? Are you willing to play the c.d. bass part note for note and not embellish the bass line, even though it's lame? How are your social skills? After you've played what you consider one of the toughest gigs you've ever done with some of the worst players you've ever heard, who also happen to be egotistical jerks, can you smile and sign on for the next date because they also happen to be well connected? Being successful is as much about who you know and how you act as how well you play. Are you willing to take gigs that may keep you apart from your family and loved ones for days, weeks or months at a time? Are you willing to risk your marraige or relationship for a gig that might prove to be the connection that lands you the "jackpot" gig?

As much as I love playing music, I came to the realization a long time ago that as far as the business end of it goes, it is really not that much different than any other high paying profession. It's not necessarily about how accomplished you are on your instrument. How far you climb on the food chain is usually (not always, but usually) dependant on how much you are willing to sacrifice to get to the level you want to achieve.

Personally, for about 15 years I put my career second to raising my family. I maintained my contacts, and did work that kept me close to home most of the time until my kids were grown. Had I prioritized my career I most likely would been much more sucessful financially than I am at this point. I'm by no means a stellar bassist. Many of the people I've met along the way were/are much more talented than I. The difference between me and those I know who have given up or settled for something less than what they wanted is, for the most part, the dedication to a quest to always improve musically and professionally.

If by greatness you mean a level of personal musical satisfaction that one is pleased with, then I think a lot of us on this forum have achieved that. Some of us play music for a living, whether it's live performance, studio work, teaching or all of the above. Some have dayjobs and play on the weekends, or rarely play gigs and jam with their buddies. Some do a little of all of the aforementioned. All in all, I really haven't heard a lot of bitching about what kind of gigs people are doing or where folks are at in their careers. We seem to be fairly happy with whatever level of success or musicianship we have achieved and are always trying to get to that next rung on the ladder. To me that, in the end, is greatness.

Later..................

Thanks 61pbass - you covered the whole thing (and really made it easy for those college kids doing a sociology report).

One point that you added was the idea that we on the forum are not bitching about our fate in life. I've heard many say they wish they could play as well as [insert name], or that their band should go further. But I didn't realize (until you said it) that we are a pretty positive bunch. Not content where we are, not self absorbed whiners. Just enjoying what we do and working to do it better. Great observation!!

:thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by Dr Zarkov-Capasso:

Thanks 61pbass - you covered the whole thing (and really made it easy for those college kids doing a sociology report).

:thu:

Tom

LOL! I was in a bit of an introspective mood last night. I guess my post turned into a "Bass Slinger's Manifesto".
Later..................

Archived