Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

things that make ya go hmmmm redux

The Fonz

what makes a solid state amp distort? we recently had the 15" speaker from the acoustic 136 in the studio reconed and recoiled. however the amp now distorts. i know it's the amp because i plugged my ampeg into the speaker and it sounds great. the distortion from the acoustic is actualy quite cool, but thick (think jaco's star spangled banner) even at low volume, it never actually produces a clean tone. it didn't distort prior to getting the speaker fixed. is the acoustic fried?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be fried. May have gotten too hot or been left on too long. I used an old 100-watt Peavey KB100 in college and while we were rehearsing, we had a spike and it fried the channel I was using but didn't even touch the other 2 channels. Did you leave it on or plugged in during a storm before you noticed the ol' (there it is again--ol') fuzzy tones emanating from the speaker?

I presume you did the reverse test of running the 136 through a diff speaker to isolate the problem.

136 fried???? How could that be - it's almost new :confused: Seriously, take a look inside (assuming you did this, but just in case). In the course of messing with the speaker, something might be loose, or some semi-conductive material may have drifted where it isn't needed. My band's PA head (cheapo) was making noises. I opened it up to find that the one circuit board was bent down and touching the chassis. No EE degree required for that fix !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

the problem is definitely with the amp. we reconnected the repaired speaker, the only connection made was the wires right at the driver. then it distorted. when the ampeg was plugged in (it has an amp in at the back of the speaker section, not into the amp with a bypass somewhere, so in essence it's a two piece rig) it sounded great. i know the problem is withthe amp. can we save him doctor?
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

136 fried???? How could that be - it's almost new...[/QB]

OK, now it's my turn to be confused. How could it be new? Acoustic has been out of business for over 20 years or so. The 136 was manufactured sometime around 1972.

Originally posted by Mudbass:

136 fried???? How could that be - it's almost new...

OK, now it's my turn to be confused. How could it be new? Acoustic has been out of business for over 20 years or so. The 136 was manufactured sometime around 1972.[/QB]
My apologies, Mudbass. That was my attempt at sarcastic humor, because Bastid E didn't say "hey, it old - stuff happens". Not that he should have...

And he probably would have used a different word than "stuff".

I used to think that using an amp from a bygone company was risky. In many cases, the shit that goes wrong is not so unique. And I have a Carvin amp that they lost all the notes on. When the power supply went, a repair shop guy replaced it good as new - $80.

Good luck with that 136 !!

Tom

P.S. Mudbass - see the irony in my word choices? If you think it's clever, too bad for you. Join my family, who would say something like "you're such a dork"!!

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived