Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick or the ol falanges (spell?) Some ? too

eyertw19

You guys do the fingers or the pick? Or both? What's harder or easier in your opinion? Oh yeah,

any tips on how to play with a pick w/o having your notes play over each other giving us that bass "fart" that we all hate, Thank ya much.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use a pick unless there are bloody blisters on my attack fingers. That only happened once (about a month ago) when I was cramming like crazy for the audition for my band. I practiced so hard in 3 days that I got really bad blisters on my attack fingers, but I still had to learn some more songs, so in order to learn the songs, I had to use a pick.

I'm in no way as fast with a pick as I am with my fingers, so I was very limited, and really could only work on learning the notes to the songs, as opposed to practicing the songs themselves. I used to be equally as adept with the pick as without, but that was years ago.

Are you talking about muting the strings? I have pointed claws on my attack hand so it's like natural picks and I use both hands to mute the strings so they don't ring over the prominent notes. With a pick, you could just do it like a guitar player does, place your hand on the bridge and mute with your palm.

I use both. For some reason, notes don't ring out unless I want them too, so overbearing rings aren't an issue (I guess my hands are too fat :cool: ). As for picks, I've been using these fatty jazz picks, those are sounding really cool. Wait, what was the original question?

Ok, so I don't think either is easier/harder depending on what I'm playing. I'm right at home playing Pink Floyd's "Money" with a pick or my fingers. But some stuff just sounds better with one or the other. And then there's the stuff where I use both just because it sounds so cool.

I need to stop rambling, though.

In my scene, there's a discinctive undercurrent among bass players (who want to think of themselves as better than the rest) that using picks is not bad, but evil.

I have to ask if anyone here subscribes to this philosophy...

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I think that it all comes down to the sound you're going for. Pick attack gives you a different kind of sound than finga'style, which in turn gives a different sound than slappin', etc.

Personally I rarely use a pick (and actually wish I were a little more proficient with a pick). However, my fingers generate the sounds that I need with the folks that I play with. IMHO, though, it's important to have some skills playing with a pick because times do emerge when it comes in handy. For example, in my one and only studio recording session, one of the tracks really came out much better because I followed the engineer's suggestion to try that track with a pick.

MattC, on this board I think the bassist who sees the pick as the spawn of the devil is rare. Most folks seem to accept it as one way to take care of business, but most of us are primarily finger players. (I might be overgeneralizing!)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Picks are Satan's tool! Not because bassists use them, or might use them part of the time. But because they spawn a million threads a year on bass forums where EXACTLY THE SAME STUFF GETS said WITHOUT ANY NEW REVELATIONS.

I swear De Ole Debbil hisse'f is busting passwords so he can cut and paste from previous threads. This in turn makes us go out into the world convinced that we should be insecure because someone somewhere might look at us cross-eyed for using or not using a pick.

I suppose all this would never have happened if Jane Curtin and Dan Akyroyd had debated it on Saturday Night Live's POINT/COUNTERPOINT so long ago. That at least would have had a punchline or two.

greenboy, you are too much !!! Obviously the air is thinner in Labrador than I thought !!

Matt, I'm with most folks here. Try both - Use what works. I was doing about 10% picking on my Gibson. Haven't worked it all out for the Kinal yet....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I do not subscribe to the philosophy that I mentioned earlier. I have nothing against the use of a plectrum on a bass, although I have yet to find the situation wherein I'd use one.

And Greenboy- What's wrong if people bring up a discussion before they search for a previous thread? We all know that you've answered every question that a bass player could ask, but why should that stop us from discussing them anyway?

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

mattc asked about asking the same questions again.....

Tom said it pretty well on another thread (about the same kind of subject, too BTW), that it's generally really helpful to read what went down before, and if you have something to add, well, let's hear it. His comment about posters that may no longer be here is relevant too.

I find it educational to read what others have posted about different things, and the resurrection of an old post helps to refresh and recharge different subjects and solutions.

I will admit, I don't do a lot of searching, and I'll sometimes ask something that has been asked before, but I see the reason for the question (Did you do a search?)

Maybe we should all start our posts with - I have/have not searched this topic, but this is what I want to know/think about this/that ;)

Different strokes for different folks.....

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

One of my picks says on one side:

"Real Bass Players"

and on the other side it says:

"don't use picks"

who cares?

you should (or shouldn't depending on your philosophy) be able to play with your fingers, your thumb, a pick, a rusty fishing hook, a two by four, your elbow, your nose, whatever it takes to get the sound you are looking for.

If your notes are running together and you are getting a farting sound, your left hand muting is leaving something to be desired. Time for more practicing.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander... But whats good for the gander is a good bootsy tooth... :freak::D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Just to be real model citizen, I'll grab a bit from Fingernails and tone and put it over here:

The other 'nails trick I've occasionally been throwing into some lines lately (works nice on repeating eighths sections ferinstance) is to downswipe with the thumb while simultaneously upstroking the same string with the pointer or flipper 'nail.

You get the ZZTop (guitar parts) effect of a pinched harmonic overlaying the string's fundamental tone, and can vary the balance between the two by how you connect. And you can go to false harmonics by picking at harmonic node say an octave or an octave-and-a-fifth above where the other hand is fretting. If you follow the fretting hand's movement you can play entire lines transposed up accordingly.

This is really pick player territory on a guitar, but with 'nail it works surprisingly well on bass and allows you to quickly shift to other fingerstyle techniques. It sounds pretty cool set back to back with palm muting too : }

Just substitute the word pick for thumb and realize that for pinched harmonics it's just a matter of having the thumb right on the edge of the pick, and the pick at a pretty steep angle. To do the false harmonics it still requires another finger (pinkie works for me).

...So. I see no controversy.

Try playing anything from the sex pistols with straight finger style or for that matter slap, then whip out youre pick o death (pun drawn from herbert t kornfield from the onion.com) any way suffice to say that slap doesnt work in that context and u gotta work too damn hard to get the fingerstyle to jive in that situation, so employ thy pick o noble musician.

do what works for the song

be proficient at everything that will enable you to be a better musician

eat your wheaties

for more earth shattering information on bass playing specifics, send check, money order, vehicles, visa numbers, or pigmy dwarfs to mike findley, bayou land loser ana

why o why did i post this...

:confused:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Originally posted by Mike Findley:

for more earth shattering information on bass playing specifics, send check, money order, vehicles, visa numbers, or pigmy dwarfs to mike findley

I drive a 3492 Lincoln Space Cruiser. My VISA # is 69696969 69696 9696969. I am a pygmy dwarf, so I'll just drive myself up in my Space Cruiser and bring myself and my VISA.

What I want to find out is not really bass specific, unless you count the phenominal amount of subwoofers I've got in my Cruiser. My question is: Where the hell did I put my Space Cruiser, VISA, and myself? I just can't find them/me. Please help.

Originally posted by Mike Findley:

Try playing anything from the sex pistols with straight finger style or for that matter slap, then whip out youre pick o death (pun drawn from herbert t kornfield from the onion.com) any way suffice to say that slap doesnt work in that context and u gotta work too damn hard to get the fingerstyle to jive in that situation, so employ thy pick o noble musician.

Sid wasn't even plugged in half the time... AND , I can keep up with most guitar playing dweebs. They have one pick. I have two fingers. Simple math. Pick's are a tonal choice, not a speed issue. Wanna work on your finger speed? Play along with Jason on Pennywise's album "Unkown Road" from start to finish. Ouch. It hurts (and yes, I know he played with a pick).

:P

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

AND, I can keep up with most guitar playing dweebs. They have one pick. I have two fingers.
OhmiGOD! You poor thing! Do you have a favored charity I can drop a slug into? (Which one wears the wedding ring? - the picking finger or the fretting one?)

That still puts you one up on most of the guitarists I've played with this past two years.

gb wrote: ...Nobody else even try the pinched or false harmonics schticks? Shame.

I confess, I use the pinched and false harmonic schtick. It helps if you play loud or are compressed, but every once in a while those little "twinkles" add some spice and make people look around to see where it came from!

And it helps if you use your nails on the picking hand to help those notes to jump out.

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Archived