Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help on a quality distortion pedal . Or any good pedal.

eyertw19

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A real good question! And a real good answer would be: use the local search feature. Plenty of times distortion devices have been discussed and I'm sure just about every brand under the sun has been touted (and maybe dissed also) ; }

Yes! What the little green man said. I think Boss pedals are great, but some think not so highly. I run through a BassChorus and BassOverDrive. Both are great. I have an old series DOD Overdrive, but it's meant for g***ar, so it gives a little bit of a kick, but mostly on the higher notes. Goes great with my fretless for some vintage overdriven noises. Anywho, I hope you find out what you want to know. May the best be with you.

Straight up distortion - Rat pedal (cheap like $65). For an overall pedal, I would shy away from the Zoom 506 II. I got it first, and it wasn't a bad pedal, but the customization was a pain in the arse. I upgraded to a BP200 from Digitech. I can't say enough! I love it, plus the added bonus of a rhythm trainer cannot be beat for the $150 new pricetag. Check Ebay as I got mine there for $100!

Why steal the hub caps...take the whole damn car instead!

http://www.carpecervesa.com

One way I considered going was picking up an ADA (now gone and nearly forgotten) MB-1 preamp on eBay (if it's good enough for Les and Vic...)... Between the 5-band semi-parametric and both analog distortion and cascading-tube distortion, one should be able to get quite a few variations of quite a few distinct types without much cash outlay. Probably every bit as capable as the original SansAmp rack and then some, in the right hands...

But this Peavey TransTubeFEX I use in my effects loop just has so many great ones on tap that I am glad I got what I did.

The main thing to look for in a pedal besides a good basic distortion or overdrive circuit is flexible EQ if you want to design outrageous tones. EQ driving a tube or circuit contributes to totally different characters of it (also try different settings on your bass onboard active pre if you have one to make different drive tonality). Flexible notch-oriented EQ after the distortion not only helps support bass and lower mids, but it further differentiates all the flavors ...Actually the main difference between many of the pedals out there is not always the distortion/gain circuitry itself, but some pre- and/or post-shaping/contouring circuitry (if not an obvious EQ section with knobs or sliders).

Have fun like the guitarists do - really explore all the flaves! Make sure they support the band phatly though.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    shred analyst and classic tone aficionado

Originally posted by greenboy:

One way I considered going was picking up an ADA (now gone and nearly forgotten) MB-1 preamp on eBay (if it's good enough for Les and Vic...)...

little known fact, les claypool actually used an mP-1, ada's guitar preamp, and the same one used by james hetfield and kirk hammet of metallica fame. god, rack-mountable effects. ahh, those were the days.

by the way, what's wrong with a good old fashioned tube amp? how do you think distortion was discovered?

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

little known fact, les claypool actually used an mP-1, ada's guitar preamp
Actually I did know it and forgot it. And it was a heavily modded MP-1. Man those things were noisy comparatively. I don't see this as a rack effect. It's just a really versatile pre with multiple channels available.

by the way, what's wrong with a good old fashioned tube amp? how do you think distortion was discovered?
Who said anything was wrong with it? - Except for the heavy, heavy output stage? ; þ

Archived