Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about getting a vintage bass head

Jay J.

I have been looking around, and am interested in getting a vintage all tube bass head. I was reading about some traynor heads that look pretty cool and don't seem to cost a lot. the traynor yba-1 bass master, and there is one called a mono-block II and few others. I don't know much about these and imagine that if I got one I would probably have to mod it some, which is what I would like to do. has anyone had expiearence with any of this stuff and could give me some words of wisdom.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't worked on the Traynor, but I have an old Ampeg V-4, and as I've been doing mods on it, I've come across a Web forum on the old Traynors. I believe some of them ran 7027a tubes, like my V4, and I think I recall seeing mods to convert them to 6550 or KT-88. (though the 7027's aren't a problem if you want to keep them.) Other than locating tubes and substitutes, the main thing to do would be a complete cap job. Some of the old multi-section filter electrolytics aren't made any more, it's a challenge to fit replacements in.

If you can find one cheap, go for it. Once you have a decent schematic, I think you would enjoy the project. I'm assuming you have some background in electronics that's why I say go for it. Otherwise I would caution an absolute beginner to troubleshooting: There's high voltage in these old amps--545 volts DC in mine on the B+ side, and that can kill you if you touch the wrong thing. BTW, if you don't have one already, pick up a scope on ebay, and a signal generator, and a good bench meter, maybe an LCR meter too, and did I mention a Variac (next on my wish list)...

Try a search on Dogpile with "Traynor tube" or "Traynor valve"

I had a mono-block a long time ago. It certainly wasn't a tube amp.

I sold it to Matt Freeman of Rancid and then it caught fire on stage at Gilman Street.

But other old Traynor amps do have a good reputation.

The only downside to restoring an old tube amp (other than electrocution) is the cost of retubing an amp will be so expensive that it might be cheaper to just buy a new tube amp.

Archived