Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey! Wait a doggone minute. I thought this was a Bass Forum...

davebrownbass

You know, recently, we've seemed to wax philosophical on several issues, relationships, politics, war, and etc.

So I began to wonder; what does that have to do with all things bass.

And I realized that my entire life, my work, my play, my best friends, everything involves music.

The world around me spins, and I am aware of it...and everything about outside life effects my spirit, my teaching, my playing.

When I ponder topics on this forum, even bass specific topics, I still bring to that my whole being. Following the argument where it goes (or topic) real life comes in, my underlying philosophy.

(You know, somebody asks a question like "Should I put new Pups in a '57 Precision?" and I don't necessarily think bass first, I think of what I believe about antiques, provenance, the relative value of a bass as a work of art versus a tool...you know...philosophy.)

So my question is: Can you separate life from music, or bass playing? And does that necessarily make a forum like this expand out to "The World According to Bottom Dwelling, Butt Shaking, Rhythm Stabilizing Musicians?"

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing we get creative in our responses, nor mix philosophy and music and such. Look at the SSS Forum....whoa now!. Sometimes I get to reading a reply and I'm thinking "alright, cut the crap", but it's not so much of a big deal. For example, Greenboy's responses are completely off the wall most of the time, but if he does this, then he comes back and makes a real response that sort of makes sense of what he had previously said. Maybe I'm getting off topic here, but I dunno.

I believe that music is a big part of my life (the only time I'm not hearing music is while I'm in class, and sometimes that's not even true. So you could say that music has more to do with my life than eating (but you couldn't tell by looking at me). Anywho, I think that philosophy is a good thing, unless you're talking crazy, man.

Could you explain some of the music on my CDs to me? I don't listen to lyrics much (which most people - even musicians - seem to have confused with music) and there weren't any liner notes.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    had a zen master locked in my basement to do this for me but he became one hand clapping

davebrownbass, i resonate with your words and think of this a lot.

(um...btw i aint a bass player but anyway)

I hang with lots of musiclovers, DJs, musicians who don't read or are untrained unlike myself, and they always assume i'm going to have all these severe elitist criteria for music... and I don't have to scratch very deeply to find that so often they are far more opinionated and harsh about it than i am.

and it's because i cant divorce music from life.

when i listen to someones music i just assume i'm hearing their very essence, however superficial or constructed it may seem, cos, well that'd be them too, and this is great, it's like nothing can be hidden.

ok sure it's 10 to 5 in the morning after a crappy covers gig and i been drinkin, but however badly expressed, i mean it

amateur hour will always take much longer than an hour

For me, every part of my life effects every part of my life. I can easily separate music from, say a football game, but, in some manner both are going to have some effect on each other for me. I have never been able to write lyrics and don't consider them purely as music. To me, they compliment music and music compliments lyrics. Lyrics are an emotional release, as well. Let's face it, anything involving emotions is going to have some type of effect on music and vice versa. OK. Now I gotta get back to watching the Oklahoma/Texas game.

It takes only a moment to paint a cat. Yet it takes a lifetime to master the techniques of painting and materials. Many sketches, to then assimilate the essence of the cat and present its being.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<    big electric cat marked territory on my woofers! ewwww!

greenboy - of course the tree makes a sound. It resonates every time I pluck the string !!

Music (even lyrics) can move me. Not every time, not every line. But music moves me inside, and I'm continually looking for that experience. It ties in to the rest of my life, from the mundane things like scheduling and gear cash, to important stuff like prayer or figuring out how to adapt to my daughter going away to school.

As a moderator, I have a balance in mind for the forum - it's the balance that the forum had with our founder Ed Friedland. Mostly bass-specific stuff. Other music stuff is fine (like what's in your CD player, or this thread). Politics, religion, and so on are not not what we do hear (despite their importance at times). If you want a music-influenced slant on that stuff, it's great having SSS as a sister forum.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Plus you can find out how much W____'s breasts sag! What value! ; }

Tom, didn't say lyrics can't be profound, intellectually or emotionally moving, or timely. Just have met an incredible number of peeps who seem to think they are The Music - many of them working, incidentally, in C&W (where a few Roman numerals are the only indicator geetars and basses 'n such might actually have something to do with it).

<-- greenboy ---<<<<       hey! how many modulations does it take to change a light bulb? - er, I IV I IV I V I IV V

greenboy, I know you see the whole picture (and then some !!). Wally's comment is sometimes the truth about lyrics, and sometimes the truth about singers. As people and as artists, we are moved by well done words. We have the added appreciation of being moved by well-done low end as well.

Nice topic, Dave !!

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Post of the day to greenboy's sig for the random, uh, greenboy sig reference.

I mean, I started to play to get girls back in high school. So did everybody boy I knew...is it such a stretch that adult rock is more, uh, adult?

Music permeates my life; when I think of Sept. 11 I imagine it in symphonic terms...

And if I were to write such a symphony, my beliefs about how to solve this problem would be the climax of the symphony.

My life permeates my music; when I play, I vow to move something in the crowd...if I can't move their hearts, I'll move their feet. But that always comes from my emotional moment.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived