Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help

bas

hey everyone

im not sure if your are familiar with the tones of the bassist from foo fighters(forget his name) and the tone of mike dirnt from greenday. well if you are u would no that they are very different. and i was wondering- is there a pedal of any sort that can enable me to use both tones during a song. like the dirnt tone for solos and fills, and the foo fighters bass tone for chorusus and verses etc....

any ideas?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Mike Dirnt's tone like the back of my hand. He plays a Fender most of the time, with the action set up as high as possible, tuned down a half step, and a whacked out hair do. There was a thread on Mike Dirnt a while ago (search for 'green day's tone', I think). I don't know about any pedals except maybe and overdrive/distortion. I stopped listening to anything Dave Grohl associated after Kurt Cobain was assassinated by the CIA (I'm not kidding). So sorry for that, though. Anyone else want to give this a shot?

the foo fighters' bassist is nate mendel and he did two phenomenal albums with a band called sunny day real estate before joining the foos. he is incredible.

the commonality between the two is the fender precision bass played through an ampeg rig. i'm assuming 8x10 and probably SVT classic (all tube). if you don't own a fender precision, you'll have to buy one or a very good facsimile of one. the ampeg "starting to overdrive" tone is legendary as well, and i've only ever gotten it to work on ampeg gear. man, what a sound.

holy shit, if you like mendel's work with the foos, check out sunny day real estate. he played on "diary" and "lp2". incredible work.

robb.

For stuff like "When I come Arround" you want to make sure you bring out the most harmonics possible from your bass. An aural exciter (or BBE Maximizer) will do the trick regardles of EQ if you make this FX the last in the chain.
"Word to your mother"

hey guys thanks for the replys

check the thing is

thru my amp at the moment. i can get close enough (for my liking) to both these tones by tweaking, however

i was wondering if there was a way that i could have my amp say, set to the dirnt tone but maybe have like a (chorus or eq pedal, not sure) that i can turn on and switch to the foo fighters tone??

Archived