Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One of those days...

Chris985

Has anyone else had a really off day on the bass?

Like today I was just jamming to some cds and then suddenly I didnt sound like myself...I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't like an ongoing thing...I was myself and then I wasn't, ya know? :P Kinda hard to explain...But has anyone else had this kind of thing happen to them? And I'm fairly sure its not the bass, just put strings on and all...Just wondering how ya'll deal with it if it happens to you.

Chris

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I let life take me on some unexpected rides. Well, we all do. But I'm one to admit it. I'm not always in the driver's seat. No illusions of unbreakable control here {sure, sure ; }...

That way I see more sights, more perspectives, step outside of the routines and the mind wallpaper routes. It's good to have odd ones. Don't fight 'em - lerarn from 'em! : }

Ah...an 'out of bass' experience...

Yep, we all have 'em from time to time. I find that if I really think about it, it almost only ever happens when something else is on my mind or bothering me, some unresolved issue that I haven't dealt with.

One of the best cures, aside from dealing with the other issues that are on your mind, is to just put the bass down and listen for awhile. Slap on a Ray Brown or Marcus Miller CD and chill to the grooves for awhile, brother. Usually works for me.

I concurr. I sat down to jam last night and I was waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off.

Granted Ive only played bass for one week (the darling arrived last friday) and basically everything I do is way off. ;)

Eat drink and me merry..for tomorrow we die!

Oh yea..and its almost the weekend! Be happy!

-Your friendly neighborhood pirate, Idnarb

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

No way. I always RULE. HAHAHA.

It happens. Like our friend (the renamed greenboy) says, learn from your off days and move on. It's just part of the journey.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yes... I sometimes get migraine headaches, and found the wonderful product called Excedrin Migraine... which works great for the headache, but totally changes my bass playing. It makes my hands slightly tremble, so somewhat unsure of where I am playing on my strings. And I also have a hard time really getting in a groove. Hope that helps. ... Connie Z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Connie - if you've done research on migraines, you know more than I do. My wife suffered with them, and one of the interesting sidelines is about caffine. Her doctor told her to stop all caffine, which she has done (except for some chocolate :) ), and that helped. Thing is that Excedrine Migraine has caffine as a key ingredient. And that may be what is making you unsteady (along with the effects of the migraine, which I understand are quite bad).

Just a thought...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

ahhhh, the suck button. we all have a suck button. damn little bastards can get stuck in the on position sometimes.

i always love a shitty rehearsal right before a gig. usually a harbinger of a great performance. on the other hand, nothing scares me more than nailing the perfect set right BEFORE the show.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

from bastid E:

"i always love a shitty rehearsal right before a gig. usually a harbinger of a great performance. on the other hand, nothing scares me more than nailing the perfect set right BEFORE the show."

Man, ain't it the truth. I don't know about you guys, but it always seem that when I think we've played our worse, lot's of people will invariable say "Wow, you sounded great tonight", and I think, were we in the same room? Or when I think we really nailed it, no one says a peep.

You just have to go with the flow and keep on truckin'

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

I think most people in the audience dont even know what goes on during a show. Mostly musicians are worried about missed notes and the like while the audience really only feeds on energy. Perhaps that is why awful bands get signed

Dave

Cold medicines or sinus medicines can make me "weird", I've found my playing to be a little goofy when I have to take the stuff.

I too suffer from migraines--the serious kind--and the Excedrine Migraine does nothing, in fact it usually makes it worse, from the caffeine. I take prescription migraine stuff--Duradrin or Imitrex. I think some gigs are stressful and that starts to trigger a migraine, if I hit it early with the meds I'm OK.

I dunno how I played worth a crap back in my partying days. Sobriety has its advantages!!

Archived