Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question from a newbie

Idnarb

Question!

Hey guys.

Well I got the bass Thursday and havent been able to put it down since. I have a question though.

So im trying to play some 3-7 note combinations. If I start with a G on the E string (i.e. 3rd frett I believe) and then I move to another string, when I lift my finger from the 3rd fret to go to another, I now get the sound of an E (ie. the G became an E when I took my finger off the 3rd frett)

When I am going slowly, its easy to stop the sound before I move on to the next note. However when I am trying to move quickly, it seems prohibitive to stop the note before moving on. Does what Im saying make sense? If so..some advice please :)

-Brandy aka Idnarb

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pirate- Idnarb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I know what your trying to say. Your playing one note then when you lift your finger to move to another string or another note you still get enough vibration to make the string ring open like the E string as you had said. I think lots of player experience this right when they start out. Your problem is simple technique and there are lots of way that you can stop an unwanted note from ringing accidentally. Here's a few things to try, but remember most of your problems are going to come from your inexperience. First, when you lift you finger from the fretted note try to kind of stall your finger right when the string comes off the fret board. This will kill the note instanly (unless your on a harmonic) and with practice can be done fast enough to not interfere with your playing speed. You can also use you right hand (or left which ever is your pluckin hand) to mute a unwanted note, either with your palm or you actual finger. Anyway these are just a few tips for you to try out. So, don't get frustrated if it doesn't come to you at first. Its like learning how drive standard or play golf, it may not come to you right away but when it does it will all be worth the frustration.

******BASS PLAYERS RULE!!!*******

I tend to use the index and middle fingers of my plucking hand to play notes (thumb, index, and middle if I'm holding a pick -- rare as that is), and I'll use my ring finger and pinky to mute notes as I cross strings. Sometimes I will use the palm of my plucking hand. If I'm thumbing notes, I usually use my palm to mute the strings. Take you time and you'll get it.

Enjoy your bass adventures!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I moved Will's post from the double posted thread and deleted that thread.

Wally

Will Kesling

Member # 29898

posted 09-30-2002 10:56 AM                       

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, it is all about muscle memory. It takes time to get your fingers to move and work together. Just keep at it. I recomend you start a "bass training log" and keep track of what you are studing and how you are doing. You will be able to go bak and look at your progress. It will be great after a while. Hang in there.

Will

One life...One Destiny

Thirteen Colvmn

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Part of it too could be that when your finger comes off the G, it's actually serving to pluck the E string again. Eventually, you'll learn how to use this to your advantage, with a technique called the "pull-off": it's a matter of putting some energy back into the string as you pull your fretting finger off the string, so that another note sounds without having to use your plucking hand. For now, though, you want to be sure that you're not doing pull-offs when you don't want to!

So pay attention to how much tension or force you've got in your fretting hand. It's tempting when you're beginning to clamp down on the strings & use jerky motions with your fingers. Practice keeping your fingers close to the strings, even when they're not fretting, use only as much force as you need to get a note (without buzzing), & release lightly. You might also check how high your strings are from the neck (the "action" of the strings); if they're too high, it sort of forces you into these jerky, clamping motions.

Another thing to do is to use your right hand as a mute. If the problem is that when you move from the E string to another string, you hear the E string ringing, then perhaps the best thing to do is to get used to anchoring your thumb against the E string when you play on the A, etc. When you go back the E, your thumb moves just off the E, & is ready to come back against it when you move up. I started out always playing with my thumb resting on a pickup, & a lot of people do this & it works for them; but I eventually found that I had to anchor my thumb on the strings in order to get rid of the noise. Try!

as everyone said, this will all work out in time.

generally if you're hitting a note on the same string, the act of playing the next note will preclude the strings ability o ring open. if moving to a higher string, your plucking finger will come to rest on the lower string and squelch the note. if moving to a lower string, your fretting hand will do the job.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Work slowly (meaning play just a few notes) and watch. Use all of the above suggestions to handle this. As you can see, this is called muting. There are many muting techniques that you will learn to use depending on what you need to mute where. Different passages require different techniques....

Sweets - Bob and Wally are gentlemen and the power never goes to their head. Can't say the same about me (did you check your post?)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Sweet Willie (formerly sweet_loop):

Hey Wally,

Does having that kind of power ever go to your head? ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No, in this case I was just doing what I was asked. I was acting as a servant. :)

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived