Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slap bass pickup style of choice

TKE96

I am now in the process of attempting to teach myself slap bass. I must admit, it isn't easy, but I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am curious to see which pickup people prefer, p or j style, people prefer. I have two different basses and I am curious to see which I should focus on. I do hear a tremendous difference in sound produced, but I want to know what others, more knowledgable then I, think. Thanks in advance. :confused:

Why steal the hub caps...take the whole damn car instead!

http://www.carpecervesa.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm starting to teach myself slap, too. I've got a P-Bass, but it's fretless, so that one's out of the picture. My fretted bass has two soapbars. I can get a nice clear tone out of the one at the bridge, the two together don't sound all that good for slap, but the neck pickup works pretty well for slap. I prefer the bridge pup for most things, though. P-Bass is preferable when slapping, from what I've heard. And the neck size of a P-Bass is a little bigger (as you've noticed), so it's easier to slap that way. The J-Bass is narrower, so the thumb can't really get in there as well. Anyone else want to take a shot?

I like J's for slapping, with both pups full up. I also really like a good ol' Music Man style pup as well.

I don't know if there's a "best" per se since different players like to get different types of tone from their slap playing -- and one pup may suit one person's playing better than another.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

'fer instance, I like slapping on my Gibson Blackbird, but my Stingray definately seems to be almost made for slapstyle...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Stingrays work great (I love mine).

To my ears, though...the best slap sound in the world comes from a Jazz Bass w/ both pickups on full. Big snap AND big bottom.

Put some flatwounds on for that Larry Graham sound on "Hair". Sweeeet....

Archived