Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unconventional Playing Style

Wally Malone

I was at the Monterey Jazz Festival on Friday and Sunday this past weekend. I was there to monitor the radio broadcast agreement and get the signatures of the artists and pay them for the broadcast. Got to meet Christian McBride and Percy Heath. The bassist I was most intriged with was Alex Blake who played URB with pianist Randy Weston. He sat on a drum stool and most of his playing was done at the heel of the neck and higher. The only time he played anything lower was for endings. His solos were truly amazing, he did a lot of chordal playing and some real rythmatic funk using his whole hand. Anyone here hip to him and had the opportunity to see him play?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm, sounds a lot like me? I do that a whole lot, even as far as playing (as much as possible) Johnny A.'s g***ar parts in that register. It's truly an amazing sound. Especially when you warm it up with a little overdrive and chorus (hehehehehe). Good to see that someone's playing like this too. But no, I've not heard of this person.

Archived