Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So Should Eminem Have Been Copy Protected?

Heard on the news this morning that Eminem's record company had to release his CD a week early because a pirate copy is floating around. Would copy protection have helped? Will they lose significant sales? If CD's were cheaper, would they still be worried? Does anybody care? Seems like you really can't stop the pirates, would legalizing CD's (lower cost) lessen the demand for illicit music? Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't if anybody has noticed but MP3s SUCK. The files are often damaged, and it's a compressed format anyway. I would like to see the prices drop down to ten to eleven dollars per CD and then the record companies are back in business. Within the next five years it will be feasible to download full Wav files easily and then the whole thing escalates. The big companies need to make peace with their CUSTOMERS [b]NOW[/b] , like give something back.

>Heard on the news this morning that Eminem's >record company had to release his CD a week >early because a pirate copy is floating around. >Would copy protection have helped? >Will they lose significant sales? I bet it's more of a publicity stunt and attempt at sympathy. The bootleg guys on the street in NYC often have copies made from pre-release promos weeks ahead of the street date; it's nothing unusual. And of course if the bootlegger guys have it, the file trading services have it. Hundreds of copies of every album are mailed out to reviewers and record store buyers and whatnot way in advance-it's not like it's some highly-guarded state secret (like uh, laptops with nuclear info...HA!). They end up everywhere. The used CD bin at the same record stores. The record reviewer dood who burns off copies for his pals. Everywhere. Yeah-definitely a publicity ploy, I'd say.

Actually MP3's don't "suck". They sound great and fulfill a purpose. Most of them don't sound as good as CD's but high res MP3's sound quite close. If you're hearing the difference you're listening to the media and not the music. This assumes they are done correctly - CD's can sound worse than MP3's if not done right.

OK Dino: Let me put it this way. The MP3s I download SUCK. Maybe there's something wrong with my computer but at least half of the files are damaged. So you have to sift through the files to find the good ones and then you have to set them up to record and that process takes tooooo much time for me. I make a lot more than ten bucks an hour and I don't want to spend that much time to get an inferior end product. I want to HEAR the full retail product but I'm not going to pay exorbitant prices.

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]who wants to bet that it's a publicity stunt? instant free press, plus suddenly the "bad boy" is now a victim....[/b][/quote]Yeah, it smells like a publicity move. But, should they have protected it. Crying foul is not gonna work but once or twice. Either the companies are gonna have to shut up about it (which we know they won't do), or go ahead and copy protect everything. And us independent guys should by ready. sly :cool:

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]What do you mean, like a vasectomy?[/b][/quote]That's a good one but, I wasn't trying to be clever. Besides if we start talking about preventing some artists from reproducing, shouldn't we be trying to prevent the future (next 10 yrs.) crop from being born now or getting out of grammar school next year? Sly :cool:

[quote]Originally posted by franknputer: [b] [url=http://www.vh1.com/news/stories/1454446.jhtml]On a related note...the down side of too many ho\'s in yo studio...[/url] :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Now what this makes me wonder is, how did the author know so much about the songs on the CD? Maybe one of the ho's passed him a disc. //gabriel.k
//Gabriel.k

The real question is when the hell will the next talentless little hype-grommet come along and take his place. I am sick of him already. I can't believe all you have to do to win a grammy these days is write lyrics about spitting in people's fries and chopping up your girlfriend. What a vacous trilobite this little punk is. Please God make him go away... -Josh.

[quote]Originally posted by jrafferty@uswest.net: [b]The real question is when the hell will the next talentless little hype-grommet come along and take his place. I am sick of him already. I can't believe all you have to do to win a grammy these days is write lyrics about spitting in people's fries and chopping up your girlfriend. What a vacous trilobite this little punk is. Please God make him go away... -Josh.[/b][/quote][b]Josh,[/b] [b]though you may not agree with Eminem's lyrical content, you can't deny the fact that if you or millions of other aspiring songwriters could handle the english language so succinctly, you'd be a grammy-winning, or more importantly, peer-respected, songwriter.[/b] [b]Beyond his content, his skill is unquestionable. Who cares if he writes about spitting in fries, or frying Dick Chaney, or whatever, that qualifies as social protest for a certain group of people. Nothing wrong with that. Quite frankly, it's far cooler than "we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til my daddy takes the t-bird away". And, it carries the same amount of weight & credibility as *insert-your-favorite-lyricist/songwriter/activist*. I'm not claiming to be a fan or not, it doesn't matter to anyone but me, but beyond free speech, the guy's gifted with a pen. [/b] [b] And, I think copy-protection is complete shit. Can't play it on my mac, can't make a copy to keep in my car so I don't have to drag my original out of my house, can't do what I want with my own shit. And, CDs are WAY too expensive.[/b] [b]Don't hate the player, hate the game.[/b]
Flo' Dolo

[quote]Originally posted by jrafferty@uswest.net: [b]The real question is when the hell will the next talentless little hype-grommet come along and take his place. I am sick of him already. I can't believe all you have to do to win a grammy these days is write lyrics about spitting in people's fries and chopping up your girlfriend. What a vacous trilobite this little punk is. Please God make him go away... -Josh.[/b][/quote]:thu: :thu: :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Flo... [quote] though you may not agree with Eminem's lyrical content, [/quote]The reason why I don't think Eminem has talent isn't because I disagree with his lyrics, it's because his lyrics suck. [quote] Beyond his content, his skill is unquestionable...(snip)...the guy's gifted with a pen. [/quote]His skill is highly questionable, and his "gift" isn't different then lots of other unknown rappers. Here's the thing Flo, he's all HYPE. Just because he is popular, doesnt mean he actually has talent. The whole urban culture now is about hype. About FRONTIN', and nothing more. There have been lots of hyped up talentless hacks like him in the past that no one today has ever even heard of. But I bet you ask any kid and they have heard of The Beatles, Rollling Stones etc. The only reason why Eminem is famous is because Dre got behind him. He's the real genius and he's laughing all the way to the bank. All the stupid little punk white kids finally had some one to call their own, and that's why Eminem's records sold, period. You really fail to understand the dynamics of the media hype machine and selling records. Selling records is not nessicarily indicitive of talent, and vice versa, that's a simple fact. Hip Hop truly is in a sad state of affairs these days. The only thing I listen is old shit and maybe some Outcast cause they got true talent, style, and integrity. Again I will enter my plea... Please God make him go away. -Josh.

Archived