Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New feature: Last reply by in forum

Hey kids, I've just added a new hack. In the list of topics within a forum, e.g., such as this one, there is a new column labeled "Last Post". Well, it's exactly what it sounds like. It anchors you, i.e., takes you to the last post in that thread/topic...cool, huh?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kudyba, I tried to email you about a couple things concerning the BBS software, but it would seem that you guys have a block on my IP range because of some possible spam somebody on my ISP might have sent out or something. Anyway... Two things: First - After posting in a thread, you have the software redirecting to the forum summary page. EVERY other BBS I have been too redirects to the thread again. I like redirects back to the thread because then I can check my post as it is displayed and of course, any post that might have been included while composing mine would be displayed too. Second - This sort of relates to "First". As per your suggestion from about a year and a half ago, I open all new pages by right clicking on the link and selecting "Open in new browser". I do this because the way I usually browse BBS's is to just click on a forum link, which leads to the forum summary page, then clicking on threads, which leads to the thread. Then when I want to go back to the forum summary page, I can just use the "Back" button on the browser. Only problem is that when I do this on THIS BBS, the forum summary page reloads every time, whether that page has been updated or not since I last viewed it. Like I say, this is the only BBS using this current version of this software that reloads every time I hit the Back button. So, I use the "Open in new window" thingy to navigate. But with the above stated problem of redirect, I then have 2 browsers open with the forum summary page! :( Any chance on a tweek to at least change the redirect after posting to go back to the thread? I have given up on a hack for the reload on this BBS (even though I have seen others that use the same software that DON'T reload the page every time). Dumdum

[quote]Originally posted by Dumdum: [b]kudyba, I tried to email you about a couple things concerning the BBS software, but it would seem that you guys have a block on my IP range because of some possible spam somebody on my ISP might have sent out or something. Anyway...[/b][/quote]Wow that's really strange. Try [email]rkudyba@uemedia.com[/email]. [quote]Originally posted by Dumdum: [b] First - After posting in a thread, you have the software redirecting to the forum summary page. EVERY other BBS I have been too redirects to the thread again. I like redirects back to the thread because then I can check my post as it is displayed and of course, any post that might have been included while composing mine would be displayed too. Dumdum[/b][/quote]Well by an overwhelming response, including from some moderators, that was what was requested to save clicks and reloads of the same page. That's why there's "Preview Post" and "Spell Check" options now too...

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I think I know what you're talking about. When I hit back, a lot of times it says THIS PAGE HAS EXPIRED, so I just click off and reload the whole page. I don't know, probably eating up more bandwidth that way.[/b][/quote]No that's a function of the Internet Explorer browser that does not allow caching of pages when clicking the back button on pages that have a .cgi (and other) extension(s)...in other words, it's an intended security "feature" implemented by MicroCrap, in case you were filling out a form or checking out of a purchase from a shopping cart, so as not to cause complications.

[quote]Originally posted by kudyba: [b] [quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]I think I know what you're talking about. When I hit back, a lot of times it says THIS PAGE HAS EXPIRED, so I just click off and reload the whole page. I don't know, probably eating up more bandwidth that way.[/b][/quote]No that's a function of the Internet Explorer browser that does not allow caching of pages when clicking the back button on pages that have a .cgi (and other) extension(s)...in other words, it's an intended security "feature" implemented by MicroCrap, in case you were filling out a form or checking out of a purchase from a shopping cart, so as not to cause complications.[/b][/quote]Interesting that every other BBS using this software WILL NOT reload the page when hitting the back button. Dumdum

Neat feature - saves scrolling on long topics. Since you're bored, :D I noticed that there is not a forum jump menu from the Private Messages screen. Might be nice to have - not critical, I just reload from the bookmark, but nice. How has the avatar feature worked out performance-wise? Is it slower?

[b] [quote]Originally posted by Dumdum: kudyba, I tried to email you about a couple things concerning the BBS software, but it would seem that you guys have a block on my IP range because of some possible spam somebody on my ISP might have sent out or something. Anyway...[/b][/quote]I was trying to reach you through this link. http://musicplayer.com/CDA/General/1,2197,CONTACT,00.html Maybe you could update that page to include your current email. Dumdum

[quote]Originally posted by franknputer: [b]Since you're bored, :D I noticed that there is not a forum jump menu from the Private Messages screen. Might be nice to have - not critical, I just reload from the bookmark, but nice. How has the avatar feature worked out performance-wise? Is it slower?[/b][/quote]Well on the PM's you can always use the top left image and that should bring you back to the forum home page. As for the avatars, nah we're still doing OK. Ever since we moved the magazine sites off we have plenty of head room...

[quote]Originally posted by Dumdum: [b]I was trying to reach you through this link. http://musicplayer.com/CDA/General/1,2197,CONTACT,00.html Maybe you could update that page to include your current email. Dumdum[/b][/quote]Hmm I think the @musicplayer.com email address may have some sort of spam filtering set on it but from what I was told it should not block legitimate email. If you could try again and let me know the error message I'd appreciate it and pass it on to the Sys Admin...

Archived