Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is a 2by10 enough?

BassPlaya

I'm looking to buy a new amp cause my combo 12 just doesn't give me the volume I need on Stage. My question, is 210 a w/350 head gonna be loud enough for small to medium size venues. I'd prefer a 410 but if I don't need it I'd prefer not to have lug something that heavey around. I play kind of mellow rock something between Pink FLoyd, Phish, with some Jazz and Funk stylings mixed in here and there. So I don't need something to make my ears bleed. Anyway just want some opinions. Thanx

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeremy is a pro and I greatly respect his opinion. I am a weekend warrior, and did fine for years with a 1x15 combo and then a Nemesis 2x10 combo. I liked the Nemesis better than the 1x15s, and I use a 5 string.

These days I am using a pair of really good 1x12s. Sometimes I use just one for practice, but I prefer the sound of two, and there is no doubt whatever that 2x12 is enough for me.

I use an Acme B-210 with a SWR 350 head. I put the rig up on one of those folding waitress stands like you see in restaurants so I can hear myself better. It's weird, but the only time I feel I'm not loud enough is when we have a lousy sound man or the room just has horrible acoustics. We've played in venues from 250-3000 seats. In larger venues and when you have a competent sound man you should just consider your stage amp as your own personal monitor anyway. The sound man will supply your signal to the house and the other band members.

My 300 watt GK and 4-ohm Acme Low B 2X10 was loud enough for the hard rock band I played in that had THREE guitarists with:

A 100-watt all-tube peavey classic stack

A 50-watt peavey classic combo

A Fender Twin Reverb

...all turned up balls-to-the-wall-ears-bleeding loud. All crunching. I had all the SPLs I needed with a thick, ballsy sound, and my amp never clipped.

Rawk.

Originally posted by BForrester:

I use an Acme B-210 with a SWR 350 head. I put the rig up on one of those folding waitress stands like you see in restaurants so I can hear myself better.

Hey BForrester! Where did you find that thing? Are you talking about the kind that is made of metal, in X shape so that it can be folded. There was a thread I started a while ago about amp stands. greenboy (anybody heard from him lately?) and Tom C. had some really good suggestions. This sounds like a good one too. Enquiring minds want to know!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

The honest answer is "no"!

I have one of the better amp/2x10 set-ups on the market and it is 'not' enough by itself to cope with the loud drummer, Mesa Dual Rec, and Clapton/Laney amp that I must compete with for stage volume.

I have a 300 watt RMS, Eden WT-300 and an Eden 350 watt power handling, 4ohm, 210T cab. It's just plain not enough. The same amp with my 8 ohm SWR Workingman's 4x10T is plenty loud enough, however. Big difference!!! 2x10s generally just cannot push enough air to play at the volume I require. There's nothing worse that having a dream tone, and not being able to hear it.

Originally posted by george costanza:

Seems like the focus (& the original question) is on volume but I think a 15" speaker (in conjunction with 10s or 12s) helps tonally.

Totally agree! :) I use a 2x10 for Jazz gigs, or low volume wedding type gigs. But if your doing any kind of rock-type music ,and /or bigger venues, I would strongly recommend something more than just a 2x10.
I have no homepage.

Originally posted by RobT:

Originally posted by BForrester:

I use an Acme B-210 with a SWR 350 head. I put the rig up on one of those folding waitress stands like you see in restaurants so I can hear myself better.

Hey BForrester! Where did you find that thing? Are you talking about the kind that is made of metal, in X shape so that it can be folded. There was a thread I started a while ago about amp stands. greenboy (anybody heard from him lately?) and Tom C. had some really good suggestions. This sounds like a good one too. Enquiring minds want to know!
I've used one of those stands for years whenever I use my drum machine. I bought it at a restaurant supply store.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

My interpretation of this thread is that 2x10 is right on the border of being enough. Seems to depend on what and where you play. Enough for many situations, but not all.

That's true, Ben...

And I would have to say that for most situations where typical pop, rock, or blues stage volume is required, a 2x10 cab by itself is just not enough. So better to do someone buying a new bass rig a favor, and be up front about it. If the guy goes with a an SWR 350 head and a 4x10 he'll be happy he did, if he buys an SWR 350 and a 2x10, he may or may not be happy with the stage volume he has available.

True...

But I will tell you that my Eden 210T cab is also a 350 watt 103 db w/m cab, and it's even a 4 ohm cab to boot, and it's still not enough by itself, to compete for stage volume with a drummer, Mesa Dual Rec, and a Laney for the rock and blues material we do. And it's not as if we are a deafeningly loud punk or metal band, either. I mean you can only play Keb Mo's stuff so loud, or it sounds ridiculous.

I'd hate to see someone get a rig that's 'almost' enough, and have to go out and buy a 4x10 like I did, after the fact.

Not that I'm unhappy about having a 2x10 'AND' a 4x10 kicking around the house, but still... Best to give the guy the honest deal on this score.

I think the interesting piece of this is that balance that we all deal with -- the amount/weight of our gear and the amount of sound we get from it. Depending on the precise playing/gigging situation, starting w/ a 350W head and a 2x10 might be the way to go, to see if it's really enough volume (and the tone you want). The option is still there in the future (depending on $$$ circumstances), to add another 2x10 if more volume is needed. Of course you need to pay attention to the various impedance ratings of head and cabs.

I think quite a few of our number have a couple of cabs, offering them the flexibility to bring one or both depending on the venue and type of music being played. There are plenty of 2x10 bass cabs on the used market -- via eBay and other gear classifieds, so it makes it more feasible financially to get two.

Also, if buying new from a solid dealer, you can probably take the 2x10 home (either w/ a decent deposit or purchase w/ return policy) to test out whether you really get enough oomph. If it serves your purposes, you're all set.

Importantly, others have already posted about the variation in different speakers in terms of the loudness/sensitivity -- that is, not all 2x10 cabs are the same.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

If you're looking for another 210 consider a peavey 210.I've use it all the time at practice and at small gigs.I have two guitarists in my band a 100 watt tube peavey and a 100 watt tube marshall and it usually gets the job done.

The heck with it I'm just gonna get myself a goliath 4x10 and call it a day. I'll just make my guitar player help me lug it around. Maybe I'll pick up a Carvin 2x10,they are relatively cheap and get a decent sound. Then I can have the best of both worlds... my bank account hurts just thinking about it...

Originally posted by sweet_loop:

[QB]

Also, if buying new from a solid dealer, you can probably take the 2x10 home (either w/ a decent deposit or purchase w/ return policy) to test out whether you really get enough oomph. If it serves your purposes, you're all set.

Hey excellent point. Why don't you buy a 2x10 and if you decide it's not enough, most any decent music store will let you return it for a refund, or store credit toward a bigger cab.
I have no homepage.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I hate eating crow!

I take it all back!

I tried my Gallien-Krueger 540 watt 1001RB head, alone with my Eden 210T cab, with the band today. My Eden cab is a 4 ohm model, and thus it allows the G-K to put out it's full 540 watt RMS.

The thing is ridiculously LOUD!

My Eden cab is rated at 350 watts, but it doesn't even balk or fart with the the G-K running full out!

Franky...I'm amazed! This little rig puts an SWR Super Redhead combo completely to shame!

So I must revise my stance on the 'loud enough' factor of 2x10 cabs...

Yes a 2x10 can be loud enough, if you've got enough wattage and headroom to drive it cleanly at very high volumes.

Not only does all this depend on your music and the situation, alot of it depends on the monitors at the gigs. Buy 2 2x10's if possble, that way, you can always leave one at home. :D

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Instead of the 4x10, just buy 2 2x10 8 ohm cabs and then you won't have to ever lug a 4x10 around, just 2 2x10s separately. That's what I do. smaller gigs=200 watts into 8 ohm 2x10. larger gigs: same amp, now 300 watts into 4 ohm (2) 2x10s. It works! and your amp probably has more wattage! You might never have to buy another rig.

dD

I use a 2x10. When I play a load gig I add a 1x18 folded horn cabinet to the setup. Acoustic, Peavey and Cerwin-Vega all make 1x18 folded horm cabinet. Ampeg use to make a 2x15 folded horm cabinet but the idiots stopped making them about 3 years ago.

Buddy

Archived