Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

troubles with my bass need help!

Jay J.

I have a Fender standard Jazz bass (mexican). I have not played it in a while and I went to play it today and noticed that it makes a loud buzzing sound when I am not touching the string or something metal on the bass. is there anything I can do to fix this, I checked the wiring and it looked good all the sauders were nice. can I shiels the electronics cavity with something to quiet the thing down. any suggestions on how to quiet the buzzing would be great. I don't remember it having this problem but I have not played the thing for about a year now. my G&L get most of my attention now days.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Check

this out, it should help. It seems there are two things you can do: get a noise gate (silencer), or check other wall sockets to make sure it's not an electrical problem. Also, I read that neon lights do that sort of stuff. You could check out the post "Zapping noises" posted by myself to figure this all too common problem out.

flourescent lights, RFI (randio field interference), a ground loop in your amp, a strage voodoo curse- these can all cause that strange buzzing. Get rid of and flourescent lights where you play (if you can't, a noise gate is a good way to hide the problem). You can filter out RFI with just about and surge protector on the marketor any one designed for audio applications. Try plugging in a little grey 3-pront to 2-prong adapter (a ground lifter). Then, pull out the Santeria fake book and start playing.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

a minifridge made one of my friend's amps buzz pretty loudly. move it away from the minifridge, and, voila!! problem solved. i think there's probably lots of electric equipment that can make amps buzz...have you tried just changing rooms with it to make sure that nothing in the room is effecting it??

An old trick for this, is to get a small wire with alligator clips on either end. Attach one alligator clip to a string behind where it goes over the bridge, attach the other end to some other piece of metal on the bass. I've seen this work, but don't lick the microphone. (as long as I've said that, always test for shocks by touching the metal tuners to the mic, not your hand.)

if it didn't buzz before, i think we can rule out the instrument electronics or grounding.

aside from outside interference it is probably an amp thing. a three prong adaptor may help. most amps also have a ground selector switch in back. i often find adjusting this switch solves most noise problems when i play somewhere new.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived