Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig in Austin

Wally Malone

Saw this on the 2x'sbasslist. Looks like a good gig for somebody.

Wally

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:17:29 -0500

To: Bass List <2xbasslist@u.washington.edu>

Subject: Good gig in Austin

Hey Everyone-

This might be off topic, but a really good swing/jazz band in Austin is looking for a good, swinging player. The band is called The Lucky Strikes (http://luckystrikes.com/) The band is full of good players, and they just got a great new drummer. The Singer/Guitar player writes some great originals, and they play all of the great standards. They usually make $20,000 30, 000 a year mainly working weekends. (Lots of good paying private parties!) This would give you plenty of time for a day job or picking up other gigs. The problem that they are having is that there is a ton of work for good bassists in Austin. They are having problems finding someone that can commit. Most Austin players have become spoiled with the demand for good bassists. I am doing the gig right now, but I am commuting from Dallas. I was going to move back to Austin, but I decided to stay here for Grad School.

They are running out of options in Austin, but we might of forgotten about someone. If you live in the Central Texas area, or if you are wanting to move the beautiful city of Austin, please write me back. I cant make the commute for much longer. I have some web space and I can put up some MP3s if you are interested. They really need someone that can make a commitment.

Thanks,

John

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Austin is great, if you like playing music that sounds like Nickelback. Just about every band here sounds the same.
So I guess I shouldn't believe the chamber of commerce kinda hype that there's alot of diverse music? I've heard all kinds of stuff about Austin, partcularly that there's all sorts of music there, and clubs that host almost every style. Then again, I definitely like to take info from someone who has nothing to gain who lives in the area too...

Ah well, it'll be a couple years before I can audition anyplace but my local community college, so I'll keep my ears to the rail in the meantime.

Regards,

~Griff

Austin is a great place to live and UT is a really good school. The music scene is good really only during SXSW. There are a lot of clubs that have bands every night, but, they are like every club in America, they only want bands that are popular, and the only way to be popular is to sound like everyone else. But, there are a lot of different styles of music, sounds like they should be on the radio, needs a little practice to be on the radio, needs a little practice to play shows, needs to sell their gear.

We are looking for a Stand Up Bass Player for the country set that can also play Electric Bass for the hard rock set. We are not looking for someone who has never played Stand Up Bass, Stand Up is a MUST. Send your info to the following address...

Att: Bass Player or Fiddle Player

Gold Mountain

2 Music Circle South suite 212

Nashville TN, 37203

...same goes for a fiddle player also /// fiddle player must have a good amp and a electric fiddle .........And the fiddle player is only needed for the country set.............HWIII

Jammin' with Hank Williams III would be fun IMO. If only I played doublebass. This ad pops up if you go to HankIII.com

"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

I met a few people from the blues scene Austin had when SRV was around and after. I don't know what is going on down there now... There used to be some amazing Austin- and Texas-based artists on AUSTIN CITY LIMITS - Mexican musics, Blues, progressive and roots country, also lots of Louisiana peeps involved in roots music like Cajun, etc. I don't know how much of that actually gets play in Austin, but it sure has seemed like a fresh alternative to Nashville and LA. I've known more than a few people who got swept into S by SW pilgrimages too...

"Austin City Limits" is one of the very best music shows on the tube. Anyone else catch The String Cheese Incident this weekend? Wow!

Sorry--no hijack here. Just couldn't resist chiming in on that terrific show.

Oh, and I went to see Austin Powers last night...does that count? ;)

(Also, yes, in all seriousness, UT-Austin is an excellent university.)

There are a few good blues bands, but they are very few. The worst thing and the best thing about Austin is the school. The Tejano music scene is growing back, but it's nowhere near what it was.

The music scene in Austin reflects what is popular at the moment. A few years ago it was MTV Punk. Before that, it was new country. Before that it was acoustic rock. Before that it was Pearl Jam clones. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great bands here, but the music scene is oversaturated with radio rock bands.

Well, I'm living here in Austin right now. I have 2 brand new bands and played out with one band twice and the other one debuted 2 weeks ago.

The music scene in Austin reflects what is popular at the moment.
This is a really bad generalization about Austin. The diversity in this town in the last 2 years alone has splintered into a million pieces. Its really amazing how many different acts there are here now.

One of the biggest reasons this place is so cool is having the studentrun radio station 91.7 KVRX. ITs motto is "none of the hits,all of the time". Truly creative, original music is broadcast every night and part of the morning by student DJ's that really know what's going on. Austin is extremely privledged to have such an outpost becasue from visiting other BBS's its seems radio is pretty vapid everywhere else.

Every sunday KVRX hosts an original, regional band live over the air. That, to me, is incredible local support. I suppose I've gushed enough. Later. ;)

Wow... so at least we're all agreed that UT is a good school? :D It's one of several I'm thinking about auditioning to when I'm up to par on my DB, and if it's in a city with a happening music scene, all the better I say. Then again, I'm going to major in music ed, so it's not like I'll have any time for gigs, or anything else for that matter :P

~Griff

Regards,

~Griff

Archived