Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie, Wants to know what best type of guitar to start out on is?

Hey, I am going to start playing the guiar. I want to know what type of guitar, electric or acoustic, i should start out on. I just want to play as a hobby. I like the sound an electric makes but I have heard it is hard to start out on. Thanx for the help Ryan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the electric is physically easier to play than an acoustic. But, your choice would depend on what and where you want to play, as well; with electric you always have to lug an amp around, but if you're into death metal you might not be happy with an acoustic. (Or maybe you would be...why not?) I think that the best thing to do is to find a decent, yet inexpensive guitar & work on it for awhile - if you have a knowledgable guitar-playing friend, maybe s/he can go with you & help you choose something. Get a book with some basic chords to songs you like & go from there. I started that way over 20 years ago, & got to where I can raise an eyebrow now and then with both self-teaching & formal instruction (the latter I got some years later). Also, look around on the internet - TONS of good stuff there (Guitar Player.com, for instance!). Not to sound old, but I wish I had access to what's on the net now when I was 15 years old!

I would start on an acoustic steel string guitar. If you start on electric you'll be more worried about your amp settings and pickups when you should be concentrating on basics. Seagull guitars are one of the best for the money.

I'll play devil's advocate to The Wewus...if you like electic, start on electric. Although I think every guitar player should have both, you'll have fun with an electric and a little practice amp. Having fun will ensure that you practice more, and the more you practice, the better you'll get. The better you get, the more fun you'll have, and the more you'll practice...and on and on... But, as I said, eventually you'll want an acoustic too... Good advice about cultivating your ear. Get a good vocabulary in open chords. To start with, I'd advise shying away from drop D and two note power chords...reason being you might be led into thinking you know more than you actually do. Learn open chords first. Then barred chords next, and you can start on some scales. Go over to the "Guitar Forum" for some threads for beginners.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The problem I see with people who start on electric is they never develop the correct hand position and they never develop all the muscles in the fingers you need to play the guitar. They seem to be more into wanking, imitating the latest guitar hero rather than playing.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]The problem I see with people who start on electric is they never develop the correct hand position and they never develop all the muscles in the fingers you need to play the guitar. They seem to be more into wanking, imitating the latest guitar hero rather than playing.[/b][/quote]Well, you have a point perhaps, but, I think, for some, just as you don't start a kid out weightlifting with 200 lbs., you start with what the kid can manage and build up from there. I think that for some younger kids, starting on the electric will use some of those muscles nonetheless. Learning to fret chords on low action and a set of .009s...before moving to Grandpa's old Martin strung with .012s. I think, if they love it, and it's in their heart and genetic makeup to become a player, they'll do just that. Those who are predestined to become sloppy wankers will do just that as well, regardless of what they start on. The important part is, whichever you choose, electric or acoustic, take someone who knows about guitars with you when you go to look at them. And I don't mean your 15 year old buddy Joe who's been playing for six months. Someone who has been at it awhile...preferably an adult.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]The problem I see with people who start on electric is they never develop the correct hand position and they never develop all the muscles in the fingers you need to play the guitar. [/b][/quote]Wewus, you have a point there. Unfortunately, I think it's on the top of your head. :freak: Ted, as usual is right on the mark. Don't go on preconceptions of what "you think" you should get. If you really want an electric, get it. And vice versa. The best advice I can give you as a "Newbie", is to [b]GET A TEACHER!!![/b]
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived