Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blatant Self-Promotion - High Bass Content

Wally Malone

The blatant self-promotion is that it is my gig and the high bass content is that three of the four musicians in the group are bass players.

Bassed on Jazz will be performing for People in the Plazas Concert Series on Thursday, August 1, 2002. The performance will be at 333 Market Street at Fremont in San Francisco and will begin at 12-noon to 1 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public and is sponsored by the Market Street Association and the Recording Industries Music Performance Trust Fund administered by Musicians Union Local 6 in San Francisco.

Bassed on Jazz is a group consisting of three basses and drums. Not only is the instrumentation of the group unique but also the arrangements of jazz and bop standards created by the group.

Bassed on Jazz is:

Wally Malone Six-String Bass

Bill Noertker Fretless Electric Bass

Kurt Ribak Double Bass

Steve Pefley - Drums

If you make it please come up and introduce yourself. It would be great to meet some Lowdowners.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ben:

Sorry, too far to go for lunch from Vermont. But I sent the info to my son who is also a bass player and is in Berkeley this summer.

Ben, Kurt Ribak the double bassist in the band lives in Berkeley.

Wally

David R and Joe, looking forward to meeting both of you. David, should I bring bananas? Joe, is there a market for a slide whistle quartets like there is for string quartets?

I'll also be in SF on Tuesday, July 30 at noon for another one of the People in Plazas Series with Lady Bo. This one will be at the 1275 Market St. location.

Wally

WOW !!! 3 basses :eek: I would love to see and hear that...i'm trying very unsuccessfully to imagine the sound...as I'm here in sleepy ole Ireland the chances of me getting to the gig are rather slim...But I really am intrigued. Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't think a 3 bass set up was possible....or if there was anyone crazy enough to attempt it. best of luck with the gig tho :thu:

CupMcMali....we live and learn, then forget again

The gig went great. The audience was very receptive, even applause after solos, etc. Got to meet Lowdowner Joe Kyle Jr. He gave me a copy of the Waybacks' CD "Burger After Church". Great listening. :thu:

I know the Waybacks do a lot touring, if they come to your area, check them out.

Wally

Waybacks? Heard great things from Seattleite pals. Congrats to all you guys living in areas where ambitious band concepts are accepted. Hope to join the ranks. Great stuff I'm sure, Wally : }

Originally posted by David R.:

Wally, sorry I missed it. I was in MIDI hell, not a good place for us bottom feeders. Glad the gig went well.

When are you guys playing again?

David R, we'll be back in SF on August 21. I'll post details soon.

Wally

• 2 weeks later...

Bassed on Jazz will be performing for People in the Plazas Concert Series on Wednesday, August 21, 2002. The performance will be at Boeddeker Park at Jones & Eddy in San Francisco and will begin at 12-noon to 1 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public and is sponsored by the Market Street Association and the Recording Industries Music Performance Trust Fund administered by Musicians Union Local 6 in San Francisco.

Bassed on Jazz is a group consisting of three basses and drums. Not only is the instrumentation of the group unique but also are the arrangements of jazz and bop standards created by the group.

Bassed on Jazz is:

Kurt Ribak Double Bass

Steve Pefley - Drums

If you make it please come up and introduce yourself. It would be great to meet some Lowdowners.

Wally

This time for those of you in the South Bay:

Bassed on Jazz will be performing at Tapestry in Talent, Festival of the Arts on Saturday, August 31, 2002. The performance will be at the Center for the Performing Arts stage at Almaden & Park in San Jose and will begin at 4:30 p.m. This concert is free and open to the public and is sponsored by the South Bay Guitar Society and the Recording Industries Music Performance Trust Fund administered by Musicians Union Local 153 in San Jose.

Bassed on Jazz is a group consisting of three basses and drums. Not only is the instrumentation of the group unique but also are the arrangements of jazz and bop standards created by the group.

Bassed on Jazz is:

Kurt Ribak Double Bass

Steve Pefley Drums

I've now met Joe Kyle and Jeremy Cohen at Bassed on Jazz gigs. It'd be great to meet some other Lowdowners. :wave:

Hope to see you there. :cool:

Wally

Archived